The Student Room Group

Which A Levels should I take for Computer Science in uni?

My name is Marcus, and I'm 15 years old. I am currently taking the following GCSEs:

- English Language & English Literature
- Maths
- Science & Additional Science
- OCR Computing
- Spanish
- Business
- BTEC ICT

I want to be a programmer, so I'd need a Computer Science degree. Which A-Levels should I take? Here is the link to the options page:

http://www.watfordutc.org/wp-content/uploads/The-Year-12-Curriculum.pdf

The obvious ones are Maths, Physics and Computing but which combination, and do the variations make a difference? Also is a BTEC Business worth it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Do further maths if you can. BTEC business is not worth it.
Reply 2
Have a look at A level Electronics, its really good and a few people on my CS degree took it and did really well in the related modules on the degree, probably more useful that Physics if im being honest

Also look at BTEC IT, would be better than Business and thats what I took and im in my second year of my MSci Computer Science degree

Hope this helps :smile:
I'd do: Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computing :smile:
I don't think the BTEC in Business will be beneficial if I'm honest :redface:
DO NOT DO BTEC at all!!! It will not help you in any way or form and it won't look great on an application to universities and companies.

I'd do Maths, Further Maths, ICT/Computing and Physics. I'd consider doing a language. The only reason for this is because eventually, you'll be very attractive to firms that you've done a language and you can have a conversation with someone in a foreign language.
Maths, further Maths , Physics & Computing , then you can drop Physics second year?
Reply 6
Sorry to bump a week old post, but would it make a difference if I did chemistry instead of physics? I just prefer chemistry, but I'm good at physics.
Original post by UDZ
Sorry to bump a week old post, but would it make a difference if I did chemistry instead of physics? I just prefer chemistry, but I'm good at physics.

Not really. I did Biology, History and Psychology and I'm about to do Compsci at Newcastle this September.

Do at least A Level Maths, the rest are optional and ideally it's better that you do subjects you're reaaaally good and getting good grades in them than the typical "physics, further maths, maths" combo. Just make sure that the rest are "facilitating subjects":

History

Modern languages e.g. French, German, Spanish etc…

Classical languages e.g. Latin, Ancient Greek

Geography

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest