The Student Room Group

Application successful? is this a scam?

I know i am posting in the wrong place so please forgive me for that as i want to be anon.

Basically, i applied for a job(i think its admin) on a website that gives you updates on new jobs available and i got an email stating i was successful, so i went to search their company up and whilst i did get some info, i have a feeling its dodgy.

This is what was in my email:

We have received your online application to join our sales and customer service team. We recently tried to contact you to congratulate you on your successful application and would love to meet with you for an initial appointment.
This will provide you with an opportunity to learn more about the business, opportunities and our company goals and expansion. We have an appointment available for you on Tuesday 3rd May at 4.00pm.

Please respond to this email stating your FULL NAME and CONTACT NUMBER, your preferred time and to confirm that you are able to attend.

Office Address

47 Paul Street

London

EC2A 4LP

Directions

From Old Street:

Leave Old Street Station at Subway 2 and take the stairs. Once at the top, walk straight on, until you see a pub called 'The Angel' and a shop called 'Prêt a Manger', turn Left on to Leonard Street. If you take the second right on Leonard Street, you will be on Paul Street. We are facing a shop called 'Bel-Air'.

We do not require you to bring anything along with you to the appointment, but please come dressed smartly in business attire.

If you have any problems finding your way to the office, don't hesitate to contact me.

Congratulations, and I shall look forward to see you soon

What do you guys think, dodgy or not?
Original post by Anonymous
I know i am posting in the wrong place so please forgive me for that as i want to be anon.

Basically, i applied for a job(i think its admin) on a website that gives you updates on new jobs available and i got an email stating i was successful, so i went to search their company up and whilst i did get some info, i have a feeling its dodgy.

We have received your online application to join our sales and customer service team. We recently tried to contact you to congratulate you on your successful application and would love to meet with you for an initial appointment.
This will provide you with an opportunity to learn more about the business, opportunities and our company goals and expansion. We have an appointment available for you on Tuesday 3rd May at 4.00pm.

Please respond to this email stating your FULL NAME and CONTACT NUMBER, your preferred time and to confirm that you are able to attend.

Office Address

47 Paul Street

London

EC2A 4LP

Directions

From Old Street:

Leave Old Street Station at Subway 2 and take the stairs. Once at the top, walk straight on, until you see a pub called 'The Angel' and a shop called 'Prêt a Manger', turn Left on to Leonard Street. If you take the second right on Leonard Street, you will be on Paul Street. We are facing a shop called 'Bel-Air'.

We do not require you to bring anything along with you to the appointment, but please come dressed smartly in business attire.

If you have any problems finding your way to the office, don't hesitate to contact me.

Seems a little weird that they haven't asked for proof you can work in the UK or any other documents. Have you looked up the company name to see if you can find any records?
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Seems a little weird that they haven't asked for proof you can work in the UK or any other documents. Have you looked up the company name to see if you can find any records?

I think they did on the online application forum and i ticked yes.
I think they did on the online application forum and i ticked yes.

I mean normally they would want to see a passport, so they dont interview someone and find out they cant employ you.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I mean normally they would want to see a passport, so they dont interview someone and find out they cant employ you.

I know right.

The company is called Aurora worldwide LTD.
Its a sales job imo. Commission. It will be more of a talk than a formal interview. I wouldnt be concerned about failing to ask fro proof because it hasnt got to that stage.

So they look legitimate, but they do marketing and sales. Long hours, but if you cna sell you cna make money.

One of the things it looks like they do is chugging.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6

Office Address

47 Paul Street

London

EC2A 4LP

Directions

From Old Street:

I hope you know what you're getting yourself in for...

"It is now widely recognised that word of mouth is the number one method of connecting clients to customers and we do exactly that by delivering thousands of “Human Commercials” direct to potential customers each year."
http://www.extreme-marketing.co.uk/human-commercial.html
I know right.

There are reviews of the company on indeed, however there is some dodgy stuff coming up such as expecting people to do a free work trial on google so i'd go with proceeding with caution.
I know right.

Don't do it! It's a sales job where they make you either stand outside and solicit potential customers, cold call people to sell products or go door to door to try and sell. They will pay you on commission depending on how many you can sign up and it is soul-destroying work. You will have no fixed salary and most of the people you call or try to stop will treat you very badly because they will be annoyed at you.
Reply 9
Original post by WBZ144
Don't do it! It's a sales job where they make you either stand outside and solicit potential customers, cold call people to sell products or go door to door to try and sell. They will pay you on commission depending on how many you can sign up and it is soul-destroying work. You will have no fixed salary and most of the people you call or try to stop will treat you very badly because they will be annoyed at you.

I knew something was dogy.

I guess i won't go for it.
I knew something was dogy.

I guess i won't go for it.

It doesnt have to be dodgy. You were asking if it was a scam. It seems to be a legitimate company. Sales work is fine for some people who have an aptitude for it.
Original post by 999tigger
It doesnt have to be dodgy. You were asking if it was a scam. It seems to be a legitimate company. Sales work is fine for some people who have an aptitude for it.

You are right about that, but these sales companies aren't usually honest with applicants about the type of work that they will be doing and how they will be getting paid until they actually accept the job offer. They hire pretty much anyone, knowing that the people they hire will make very little money or none at all due to how ridiculously difficult the job is. A minority are naturally good at it and will thrive and make a very good living whereas most will be gone within a couple of weeks. That has been my experience and the experiences of friends of mine with these companies, they tend to exploit students and people who are desperate for a job. I just wanted the OP to know the nature of sales roles.
(edited 7 years ago)
he OP needs to get used to reading job ads and then you can pretty much determine what sort of employer they are. Not for me, but i was just making the point theres a difference betwen a scam and a difficult job.
Original post by 999tigger
he OP needs to get used to reading job ads and then you can pretty much determine what sort of employer they are. Not for me, but i was just making the point theres a difference betwen a scam and a difficult job.

You would be surprised. A few weeks ago I applied to a job that was made to sound like a normal admin/customer services job but turned out to be a sales one. The recruiters were under a different name to the company so I only managed to research it after they gave me a call. Created a thread about it:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4004151

I know that me asking if it was a "scam" wasn't the best choice of words but they were being very sleazy and dishonest.
Reply 14
Hi Did you go for this job?My son is going for a second interview today in Farnborough. I've googled the company as my son is being vague with the details. He's old enough to do his own thing, but I don't want him getting into something that's pointless or wasting my money on train fares.Any help appreciated.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Bumpyd
HiDid you go for this job?My so is going for a second interview today in Farnborough. I've googled the company as my son is being vague with the details.He's old enough to do his own thing, but I don't want him getting into something that's pointless or wasting my money on train fares.Any help appreciated.

This is an old thread. You'd get more responses if you start your own.