The Student Room Group

Being unsure [English Lit]

Hi, I'm Zak, nice to meet you, so here goes my first question:
I'm unsure about my choice of future degree. Currently studying A2s (with all my offers accepted) and I hope to study English at Birmingham University but I'm worried it won't lead on to much and all of the financial cost will ultimately not be worth it, when compared to a more local university such as Gloucester or even Cardiff (which have lesser financial costs).
Can anyone with any experience assure me that either it is something worth being pursued or not at all?
Thank you!!!
Original post by Zakkaria_
Hi, I'm Zak, nice to meet you, so here goes my first question:
I'm unsure about my choice of future degree. Currently studying A2s (with all my offers accepted) and I hope to study English at Birmingham University but I'm worried it won't lead on to much and all of the financial cost will ultimately not be worth it, when compared to a more local university such as Gloucester or even Cardiff (which have lesser financial costs).
Can anyone with any experience assure me that either it is something worth being pursued or not at all?
Thank you!!!

Hi Zak,

Sorry I don't have any recent direct experience but I was a teacher for a very long time.

These are tough decisions. English is a general academic degree that will be useful for all manner of different occupations. Having an English degree shows you can write accurately and at length; can communicate well orally and can read in depth. It also shows you can stick to a task and work hard. All in all that's a great set of skills for loads of jobs.

In terms of different unis, there's loads of comparison tools like our own Unimatch. Can you visit a few and see what the environment and course is like?

Let me know how it goes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending