The Student Room Group

Private tutor wants me to pay up even though I did not attend

Hi all,

I was meant to have a tutoring session today for two hours, I did get lost on the way too his place and I could not make contact with him since my phone was on 'searching mode'-meaning I could not send or receive texts and my phone is not working properly. My account was in arrears and I just made the payment now. Further evidence I could not contact him. He believes I am lying to him.

He has text saying I owe him £70, I texted on my sisters phone because my phone is not working.

I'm not sure what to do, he doesn't have any terms and conditions and it wasn't made clear to me in any form: paper, email, verbal or written.

I'm not sure what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My session was at 10-12, which I text him at 11.
Why is this post in relationships?:s-smilie:
Original post by Anonymous

Well then... Just pay him... Or take a loan
Original post by Ayaz789
Why is this post in relationships?:s-smilie:

So that he can be anonymous

Lol don't pay him it's not your fault. A good tutor would accept your reasonings
Hi all,

I was meant to have a tutoring session today for two hours, I did get lost on the way too his place and I could not make contact with him since my phone was on 'searching mode'-meaning I could not send or receive texts and my phone is not working properly. My account was in arrears and I just made the payment now. Further evidence I could not contact him. He believes I am lying to him.

He has text saying I owe him £70, I texted on my sisters phone because my phone is not working.

I'm not sure what to do, he doesn't have any terms and conditions and it wasn't made clear to me in any form: paper, email, verbal or written.

I'm not sure what to do.

Lol don't pay him, he doesn't know where you live does he?
But seriously it is your responsibility to find his house and contact him that you were lost. You should've checked out his house before the lesson. If you want to continue having lessons with him you'll have to pay him as you did take up his time slot. Maybe you should ask him to cut it in half as it was a genuine mistake. Still 35 per hour is was too high for a tutor you can get tutors for 20 per hour :smile:
Don't pay...just find someone else
If he hasn't told you about paying if you can't attend beforehand then it is not void. Try to cancel the payment asap.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,

I'm not sure what to do.

Why are you paying £70 for a tutor when there are perfectly good ones around who only charge £20-30 an hour?

Don't pay him anything you didn't have your lesson and you didn't sign any paperwork
Well dont pay them and they are now yoir ex tutor. You did waste their time and you failed to contact them to warn of the cancellation. Your excuse for that was weak. £35 an hour sounds a lot, but depends what in and where.
P.S. find another, cheaper tutor who's not so obsessed with money
Sorry, could the moderator move this to the appropriate sub forum please?
Reply 13
If you've got a contract you need to pay up.
I did waste his time, however, my phone isn't working and I was on the motorway so I could not stop and get an emergency phone and did get lost, I had to tell a lady in the car park for directions back onto the motorway. I didn't have his number because my phone wasn't working.

Thanks for all the responses.
People in this thread need to grow up and face responsibility. Letting the guy know at such short notice probably means loss of earnings and time for him, he could have been taking on another client in that time. We have things like Google Maps and Sat Navs to help us plan routes and stuff and if OP was unsure of the exact location, it would have been wise to contact him beforehand and ask. It's not as if the tutor is just being a dick, he's an adult with bills to pay.

On the other hand, if there was no contract stating a notice period, you don't legally have to pay.
(edited 7 years ago)
I agreed for the slot, however, I did not sign any paperwork or nothing, he did not verbally or by written means tell me what could happen if I don't turn up.

Once again, I have proof that my phone wasn't working. Hence I could not contact him.
You'll probably have to pay for not attending. I had to cancel an appointment for being ill. Left a voicemail and got phoned back. She asked if I was aware of the policy. I said no and it was explained to me. Had appointment the next day and paid what I owed.
Original post by LightYagamiWins
Lol don't pay him, he doesn't know where you live does he?
But seriously it is your responsibility to find his house and contact him that you were lost. You should've checked out his house before the lesson. If you want to continue having lessons with him you'll have to pay him as you did take up his time slot. Maybe you should ask him to cut it in half as it was a genuine mistake. Still 35 per hour is was too high for a tutor you can get tutors for 20 per hour :smile:

You can get tutors for less than £20 but it depends on location (e.g. London) and experience. I would expect a senior examiner or someone with a lot of experience to charge £35 or more. A good place to look for tutors is first tutors, you can that usually tutors with good feedback will charge higher than £20.
Hi all,

I'm not sure what to do.

No way don't pay him

Quick Reply

Latest