The Student Room Group

What's PMVA training like?

Have any Nurses or HCAs had PMVA (prevention & management of violence & aggression) training and if so what's it like? I'm having it next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tinkerbelle2
Have any Nurses or HCAs had PMVA (prevention & management of violence & aggression) training and if so what's it like? I'm having it next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've done conflict resolution, which I imagine is similar. A lot of it is common sense and understanding that when people are pissed off, speaking to them like crap is likely to escalate matters. It was pretty much all theory IIRC, but it was quite a while ago when I did it.
Original post by moonkatt
I've done conflict resolution, which I imagine is similar. A lot of it is common sense and understanding that when people are pissed off, speaking to them like crap is likely to escalate matters. It was pretty much all theory IIRC, but it was quite a while ago when I did it.

Ah that sounds good! I think mine also includes physical restraint too. Oh god yeah I'd never speak to anybody like crap anyway. But you're right!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A lot of it is about verbal de-escalation techniques and how to recognise signs etc.
The physical side is about how to avoid being stabbed, choked, beaten, slapped, how to get out of a grab etc. As this training is usually needed when working with people who have behaviours that challenge, such as those with learning disabilities and or mental health problems.
It can make people wary when you hear others sharing stories or the trainers warn you of such incidents but pay attention and the training will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by deviant182
A lot of it is about verbal de-escalation techniques and how to recognise signs etc.
The physical side is about how to avoid being stabbed, choked, beaten, slapped, how to get out of a grab etc. As this training is usually needed when working with people who have behaviours that challenge, such as those with learning disabilities and or mental health problems.
It can make people wary when you hear others sharing stories or the trainers warn you of such incidents but pay attention and the training will help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks deviant! I'm quite excited for it actually! Think it's a good skill to have. Would've been nice to have it before I actually started the job as I guess they put me in potential danger but hey ho.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tinkerbelle2
Thanks deviant! I'm quite excited for it actually! Think it's a good skill to have. Would've been nice to have it before I actually started the job as I guess they put me in potential danger but hey ho.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's really common sadly! I know someone who went months before they got it. Hope you enjoy it xx

I did the basics while in year 1. Got to strangle a friend for a demonstration. 10/10 would recommend.
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone
That's really common sadly! I know someone who went months before they got it. Hope you enjoy it xx

I did the basics while in year 1. Got to strangle a friend for a demonstration. 10/10 would recommend.

Yeah! I guess you just gotta use what ever common sense you have and pull your alarm if things get a bit 'spicy'! Haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply