The Student Room Group

Do you think Obama was arrogant to come over and tell us how to vote?

I mean seriously as Boris Johnson said the US would never dream of giving any sovereignty away and then he has the cheek to come over here and lecture us

Scroll to see replies

I can see what he means (Boris). He's spot on that America would never accept it.
Obama is the POTUS. He's going to be looking out for what he thinks what is best for the USA rather than the UK. So I can understand why he said it even if I don't agree with him.
Original post by karl pilkington
I mean seriously as Boris Johnson said the US would never dream of giving any sovereignty away and then he has the cheek to come over here and lecture us

Well the US kind of did. The US states used to be independent of each other. They then had this great idea that by working together, they would be stronger as a whole. There is now freedom of movement between states and a national government to over see the union, foreign policy and the military. But at the same time, states have autonomy to set their own taxes and laws. Who'd have thought eh?

And yes, he does have the right to a say. The UK being in or out of the EU has ramifications on the US and what they do. And what effects the US will ultimately affect us in return. Thank goodness we have such a good ally who has given us a hint of some of those ramifications should we leave.
Original post by ByEeek
Well the US kind of did. The US states used to be independent of each other. They then had this great idea that by working together, they would be stronger as a whole. There is now freedom of movement between states and a national government to over see the union, foreign policy and the military. But at the same time, states have autonomy to set their own taxes and laws. Who'd have thought eh?

And yes, he does have the right to a say. The UK being in or out of the EU has ramifications on the US and what they do. And what effects the US will ultimately affect us in return. Thank goodness we have such a good ally who has given us a hint of some of those ramifications should we leave.

you mean affects also you are talking nonsense. We are not a state like in America we compete with other european countries have a different language and culture and a history of conflict. The only states that were in conflict were the North/south civil war. He doesn't have a right to come over and interfere he was obv brought on board to try and scaremonger us into staying. Also lol at having a good ally they (America) have never been a good ally they have constantly damaged us throughout history.
Reply 5

You mean like they did with NATO? Or NAFTA? Or the WTO? Or are planning to with TTIP and the TTP?

Just because the US might not join a project like the EU does not automatically make it a bad thing. We are in a vastly different economic and geopolitical position to the US and naturally view things differently to them.

Nor did Obama simply come over here like some sort of feudal king and tell us what to do. He was invited to the UK by an elected government and asked to give an opinion on an issue that will impact the US. In some instances he was also laying out how the US would respond to the UK leaving, something he very much has a right to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
I wouldn't go as far as arrogant, no. I suppose at the end of the day as President he has to protect his country's national interests. However, it was quite cheeky.
Original post by Aj12
You mean like they did with NATO? Or NAFTA? Or the WTO? Or are planning to with TTIP and the TTP?

Just because the US might not join a project like the EU does not automatically make it a bad thing. We are in a vastly different economic and geopolitical position to the US and naturally view things differently to them.

Nor did Obama simply come over here like some sort of feudal king and tell us what to do. He was invited to the UK by an elected government and asked to give an opinion on an issue that will impact the US. In some instances he was also laying out how the US would respond to the UK leaving, something he very much has a right to do.

He was invited wrongly to give an unfair advantage to the in campaign. He also said we would be at the back of the trade queue so he is simply blackmailing us. The US would never dream of having their laws made for them because they are a more independent proud nation.
Didn't he also speak out against Scottish independence?

I really wonder who advices Obama on these things I do not believe they are his personal views at all. Precisely why he was elected, he's a puppet and easy to control by the elites.
Original post by ItsaConspiracy
Didn't he also speak out against Scottish independence?

I really wonder who advices Obama on these things I do not believe they are his personal views at all. Precisely why he was elected, he's a puppet and easy to control by the elites.

Username checks out
Reply 10
I don't understand how the left for years have told me America is corrupt and all, but now praising America and Obama, they love the country now, the EU really has changed the left's stance on a lot of global issues. Their goals are closer to that of America's and Cameron's/Osbourne's more than anyones
Reply 11
He was invited wrongly to give an unfair advantage to the in campaign. He also said we would be at the back of the trade queue so he is simply blackmailing us. The US would never dream of having their laws made for them because they are a more independent proud nation.

How can he be invited wrongly? It is well within the government's right to invite heads of state here.

He is not blackmailing us at all, simply stating a fact. The US has put it's weight behind a trade deal with the entire EU which is currently being negotiated. It is very clear from their trade policy in recent years that they would not be interested in individual trade deals with each European state.

Good for the US. They are in a completely different economic and geopolitical position to the UK, so naturally see things differently. That is not an argument for emulation.
Reply 12

I feel it was innapropriate
Original post by Aj12
How can he be invited wrongly? It is well within the government's right to invite heads of state here.

He is not blackmailing us at all, simply stating a fact. The US has put it's weight behind a trade deal with the entire EU which is currently being negotiated. It is very clear from their trade policy in recent years that they would not be interested in individual trade deals with each European state.

Good for the US. They are in a completely different economic and geopolitical position to the UK, so naturally see things differently. That is not an argument for emulation.

It is wrong as it makes a mockery of a supposedly unbiased referendum. It has become so on sided it has become a waste of taxpayers money. He is not stating a fact other administrations could change their approach. The USA tends to focus on their own national interest, so would always trade with us if it benefited them.
No, people are just butthurt when someone influential gives their own views. Plus the Americans have made it clear that we wont get a trade deal, they're not going to not stick to their views.
Reply 15
It is wrong as it makes a mockery of a supposedly unbiased referendum. It has become so on sided it has become a waste of taxpayers money. He is not stating a fact other administrations could change their approach. The USA tends to focus on their own national interest, so would always trade with us if it benefited them.

There is no such thing as an unbiased referendum. The government wants the country to stay in and is making the case for it.

No one is saying the US won't trade with us, what they are saying is the US would move slowly on the type of free trade agreement that is currently being negotiated on an EU-US level. Obama is pointing out facts and the likely approach of a US government.

I have to ask whether you'd be complaining about this if Obama made comments that supported your position.
Reply 16

Not arrogant but showed the servile mentality the British elite has toward the US. Not a single media and not even a single right-winger issued the facts that a foreign statesman is minding in british bussiness as if the UK is some kind puppet state. And that all from an US president who is the most anglophobic in history.

If the Brits compaining about Brussels minding in British stuff so it should be done the same toward the US president.
Original post by Aj12
There is no such thing as an unbiased referendum. The government wants the country to stay in and is making the case for it.

No one is saying the US won't trade with us, what they are saying is the US would move slowly on the type of free trade agreement that is currently being negotiated on an EU-US level. Obama is pointing out facts and the likely approach of a US government.

I have to ask whether you'd be complaining about this if Obama made comments that supported your position.

I would be opposed to any intervention/interfering from a foreign country.
As much as I love Obama, he basically did exactly what he criticized Netanyahu for doing just over a year ago (when he spoke in congress about the Iran deal.)
you mean affects also you are talking nonsense. We are not a state like in America we compete with other european countries have a different language and culture and a history of conflict. The only states that were in conflict were the North/south civil war. He doesn't have a right to come over and interfere he was obv brought on board to try and scaremonger us into staying. Also lol at having a good ally they (America) have never been a good ally they have constantly damaged us throughout history.

So the US intervention in WW2 ultimately harmed us?

Quick Reply

Latest