The Student Room Group

A way to memorise difficult equations...ALL SUBJECTS.

What you do is change your wifi name to the equation. I tend to have a look at my wifi on my laptop very frequently which results in the memorisation of the equation eventually. I have tried this with a couple of equations and this method proves to be an excellent one.

Scroll to see replies

or just look at it and remember it
Original post by gr8wizard10
or just look at it and remember it

Indeed. This is a method for those who struggle to do what you suggested.
You have to remember equations at GCSE? Just check page 2 of the exam paper. :lol:
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
What you do is change your wifi name to the equation. I tend to have a look at my wifi on my laptop very frequently which results in the memorisation of the equation eventually. I have tried this with a couple of equations and this method proves to be an excellent one.

What if your wifi isnt awful so no need to keep going into the settings
Original post by samb1234
What if your wifi isnt awful so no need to keep going into the settings

Lol! I don't check my wifi frequently because it is awful.
When I was doing my exams, I drew the equations on a drawing app and then set the picture as my lock screen background on my phone. I ended up viewing those equations a lot.
Original post by Zargabaath
When I was doing my exams, I drew the equations on a drawing app and then set the picture as my lock screen background on my phone. I ended up viewing those equations a lot.

I do that on my laptop. Right now it's an image that explains cloning...
I do that on my laptop. Right now it's an image that explains cloning...

It's a good trick, I learnt the SUVAT equations like this :yep:
Original post by zargabaath
it's a good trick, i learnt the suvat equations like this :yep:

suvat > pizza

Be like me and remember the most useless things like almost all the equations on the data sheet in physics, i guess i'm a little lucky that i can just remember equations and stuff but then again that falls under the category of me remembering the most useless things.

Spoiler

It's a good trick, I learnt the SUVAT equations like this :yep:

i just looked and remember since it was forced into me that the equations of motion were super important and were used everywhere so they were then remembered ._.
Reply 11
Or, you know - understanding them and deriving them if you don't remember. I don't remember much formulae, if I need them, I'll derive them on the spot.
suvat > pizza

I wouldn't go that far :lol:

Although I prefer it to circular motion if that's what you mean :holmes:
Original post by thefatone

i just looked and remember since it was forced into me that the equations of motion were super important and were used everywhere so they were then remembered ._.

SUVAT equations are probably one of the most useful things I've actually learnt from college
But yeah, if it's in one of your subjects it really does get hammered into you :lol:
I wouldn't go that far :lol:

Although I prefer it to circular motion if that's what you mean :holmes:

I LOVE SUVAT questions. Seeing them on a paper brightens up my whole life. The effect these equations have on me is inexplicable.
Original post by Zacken
Or, you know - understanding them and deriving them if you don't remember. I don't remember much formulae, if I need them, I'll derive them on the spot.

I can do that with chemistry...but not mathematics. For example, I can only work out the surface area of a cylinder because I know the formula, I would not be able to derive it right then.
Reply 16
I can do that with chemistry...but not mathematics. For example, I can only work out the surface area of a cylinder because I know the formula, I would not be able to derive it right then.

But once you understand why that formula is that formula, you can derive it whenever - look at this: http://www.mathopenref.com/cylinderarea.html
SUVAT equations are probably one of the most useful things I've actually learnt from college
But yeah, if it's in one of your subjects it really does get hammered into you :lol:

yup mechanics maths and physics mechanics xD

Volume of cylindrical shapes such as cuboids rectangle long things and cylinders
are
area of cross section x length

obviously some stuff you should really know like area of a circle

which is πr2 \pi r^2

circle diameter

πd\pi d
Or you can just use the formula booklet in the exam
Original post by Trapz99
Or you can just use the formula booklet in the exam

I'm sorry. I thought it would be clear I was referring to equations that would not be provided.

Quick Reply

Latest