Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Full time Phd - time on campus?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I've been very lucky to have been offered a full time phd studentship at a university which is not local to me. Although the plan is to move to the University city as soon as, as a mature student there is a lot to organise...house sales, schools etc. In the short term I plan to commute if its realistic. I would really appreciate others experiences of the amount of time they have spent on campus/days per week. I appreciate this will vary depending on supervisor expectation and the department but just wanted to gauge others experiences before I discuss it with him. Thanks

It depends very much upon your subject and what facilities you need to need to use on campus. I'm doing an English language PhD and find that I spend about half the week on campus, but there are other students in the department who come in a lot less than that, and one or two who live several hours away and only come in for training and supervision.
    However, if you need use a lab, or archive materials, or books that aren't available online, you may need to be in a bit more. I would certainly say that for the first couple of months at least, if you are funded by a research council, there will be requirements for some training sessions, and probably other requirements to be in on certain days for induction and other sessions for various reasons. My funder requires me to have a minimum of 10 supervision meetings per year, although some supervisors might do them by phone or Skype.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.