The Student Room Group

If there is a god, why are some people born disabled?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2

I do not understand the connection
God has nothing to do with that
Life would be too easy if we had everything preserved for us.
God wants us to feel thankful for what we have so he tests
us with disabilities, illness, poorness etc..
Some people have more than what we have, some have less.
That's just how life works. You have to work for your
success. Nothing is served on a golden plate.
Sometimes these disabilities are a punishment for
doing something bad or maybe just to remind us
of thanking God for what we have.
In conclusion, God wants us to work hard in our
lives and thank him for everything either it being waking up
in the morning or going to sleep in the night.
Maybe you can think about all the poor and homeless people
all over the world with no beds to sleep on.
If God gave everyone everything, no one would
thank God for what he have.
Sorry for the long post, but I had to type this.
In b4 "life is a test" even though there are some people who due to mental disability wouldn't even have the thinking capacity to understand this test.
Reply 6
Catholic answer: because there is natural evil in the world and God doesn't control that
Personally I don't believe this
'Cause the sins of mankind, innit.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
In b4 "life is a test" even though there are some people who due to mental disability wouldn't even have the thinking capacity to understand this test.

Your not b4 "life is a test".

What if those with such mental disability are used as testing (indirectly) to see whether others mentally capable people will still believe in God?
Original post by champ_mc99
Your not b4 "life is a test".

What if those with such mental disability are used as testing (indirectly) to see whether others mentally capable people will still believe in God?

Aside from the fact that life being a test makes no sense in the context of an all-knowing god this justification doesn't get round the problem because the doctrine is usually framed as "everyone is tested". This is where holes begin to appear in cases such as where the person cannot even understand the test and children that die young etc. In the hypothetical scenario that this test is true, I would much rather die as a baby and thus avoid the test altogether than get a whole life but risk going to hell.
Reply 10
Original post by xobeauty
God has nothing to do with that

So God didn't create everything?
Original post by AhmedMA99
Life would be too easy if we had everything preserved for us.
God wants us to feel thankful for what we have so he tests
us with disabilities, illness, poorness etc..
Some people have more than what we have, some have less.
That's just how life works. You have to work for your
success. Nothing is served on a golden plate.
Sometimes these disabilities are a punishment for
doing something bad or maybe just to remind us
of thanking God for what we have.
In conclusion, God wants us to work hard in our
lives and thank him for everything either it being waking up
in the morning or going to sleep in the night.
Maybe you can think about all the poor and homeless people
all over the world with no beds to sleep on.
If God gave everyone everything, no one would
thank God for what he have.
Sorry for the long post, but I had to type this.

Why would an all loving God want to punish you?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Aside from the fact that life being a test makes no sense in the context of an all-knowing god this justification doesn't get round the problem because the doctrine is usually framed as "everyone is tested". This is where holes begin to appear in cases such as where the person cannot even understand the test and children that die young etc. In the hypothetical scenario that this test is true, I would much rather die as a baby and thus avoid the test altogether than get a whole life but risk going to hell.

So let's focus on those who are mentally incapable enough to not understand life is let alone it being a test.

So when you or I look at these people, we are questioning whether or not God exists right? Technically the means of them suffering is creating more trials for healthy-minded individuals who can understand the concept. Hence, to an extent, we can say those that suffer like this are not being tested.
Original post by champ_mc99
So let's focus on those who are mentally incapable enough to not understand life is let alone it being a test.

So when you or I look at these people, we are questioning whether or not God exists right? Technically the means of them suffering is creating more trials for healthy-minded individuals who can understand the concept. Hence, to an extent, we can say those that suffer like this are not being tested.

No, I don't personally believe that suffering is a good argument against God's existence per se, but the case of those who can't understand it is a good one against the specific doctrine of life as a test.

Well exactly, the fact that people like this aren't tested undermines the life-is-a-test concept because it means they get heaven guaranteed which is why I said that in such a case I'd prefer to die young and not go through it.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

For their sins maybe. I am not God to decide.
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

My parents love me but they still punish me if I'm an ********, to make sure I don't turn into a bigger ********.
Something about how God makes us all uniquely and differently, but that he loves us no matter what, but that we are still being punished for our sins. When I used to go to church, they told us about how Jesus healed those who couldn't walk, or who were blind, but it seems like there are all sorts of mental disabilities and physical nowadays, and there seems to be no sign of him.
Original post by n0cturnalowl
Something about how God makes us all uniquely and differently, but that he loves us no matter what, but that we are still being punished for our sins. When I used to go to church, they told us about how Jesus healed those who couldn't walk, or who were blind, but it seems like there are all sorts of mental disabilities and physical nowadays, and there seems to be no sign of him.

Probably because if he came along trying to heal the fat and disabled he'd be lynched by a bunch of SJWs who would crucify him for being a Cis Guy who wasn't pro-Body Acceptance.
Reply 18
Look up the theodicies of St Augustine and Irenaeus/John Hick

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arkasia
Probably because if he came along trying to heal the fat and disabled he'd be lynched by a bunch of SJWs who would crucify him for being a Cis Guy who wasn't pro-Body Acceptance.

The amount of Tumblr people who would beat your ass is unreal haha.

Quick Reply

Latest