The Student Room Group

Muslims: Do you believe homosexuality should be illegal/criminalized?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BristolFresher15
We get it, you hate Islam.

Your posts are starting to get annoying. You don't present any intelligent arguments, just points that you think would cause controversy.

Yeeeeeees big man!!! Well put my son :smile:

Original post by KaminiZindagi
I dont hate Islam. LOL
I genuinely wanna know what the Muslim Youth thinks.

Where do you see me hating Islam. Poking fun does not mean I hate Islam. Grow up

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need some lessons from this big boi, he knows what he's doing ^^^
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Is there? This is a direct quote from the Qu'ran on such acts:

"Do ye commit lewdness such as no people in creation committed before you? For ye practice your lusts on men in preference to women: ye are indeed a people transgressing beyond bounds." Qur'an 7:77-78 [I think]

One of the issues with the Quran is that it is not a chronological story. So if we look at the story of Lut, we find verses that say:

And [mention] Lot, when he said to his people, "Indeed, you commit such immorality as no one has preceded you with from among the worlds. Indeed, you approach men and obstruct the road and commit in your meetings [every] evil."

Surah 29:28-29

What this describes here is essentially the role of a highwayman who would prey on travellers. The role of such travellers and traders would have largely been a job undertaken by men, and therefore the victims of any such crimes here would be men. They are ambushing these men (so whatever is happening, it is not consensual) and performing immoral acts such as theft, rape etc...

We also see in Surah 15:71, Lut goes as far as even offering his own daughters. This is because these men are clearly having extra-marital affairs (adultery) which Islam prohibits. Islam however permits a man to marry more than one woman, and so Lut seems to assume that maybe these individuals may not be satisfied by one woman, and so he offers them his daughters. This is his last resort to try and stop these men from committing such evils as adultery. Lut's line of thought is that maybe if they married another woman they might cease from committing adultery.

The verse 7:80, the word l-fāḥishata is used to describe the immortality that is being committed. This comes from the root word "Fahisha" which Abdul Majid Daryabadi in his Tafsir ul Quran says:

"in [its] general significance is ‘an excess; an enormity; anything exceeding the bounds of rectitude.’ but when particularized, signifies ‘adultery or fornication’ "

It would seem to imply extramarital sex is the issue here. So these are men, who are married and have wives, but are having extramarital sex. Such an interpretation makes sense when one reads the continuous prohibitions against adultery in the Quran. Why is the Quran so vocal on these issues? These teachings that we find about adultery are related to heterosexual relationships. Muhammad, being an orphan himself, knew first hand the problems of being an orphan. Children born out of wedlock or who were the result of adultery, were less likely to have a stable household. Marriage was an institution designed to provide a stable and safe environment for children. Marriage allowed for clear lines of responsibility in the raising of children and ensured that children knew who their parents were and whose duty it was to raise them

It is also worth mentioning that in Surah 24 verse 31, women are told that they should cover themselves (dress moderately), but it lists a number of individuals whom they need not cover themselves from such as their husband, children and "men who lack physical desire". This passing reference is towards those who have no sexual attraction to women, The Quran is therefore acknowledging that homosexuality is not a choice, and for this reason, women need not cover themselves in front of them.

Now there are people who will claim that the verse is actually talking about lutiya, that is sodomy or anal sex. But even if we do take this interpretation, the verse you quote is saying perform anal sex on women instead of men. Does that really solve the problem?

It is also worth mentioning that in Surah An-Nisa verses 22-24, the Quran lists the many individuals who a man may not marry, for example, a man may not marry his mother, his sister, his sister's daughter, among many other individuals. However, among those listed as being prohibited for men to marry, one does not find any mention of those individuals of the same sex being prohibited. These verses don't forbid one from marrying their first cousin. Muslims consider this to be a rather complete list of prohibitions, and thus absence of a prohibition against marrying ones cousin has resulted in first cousin marriage being permitted in Islam.

So even if we did take the verses regarding Lut to be prohibitions against sodomy, sodomy can be performed by heterosexual couples too. But one is quite able to have a heterosexual marriage where sodomy is not practiced. Equally so, one is able to have a same sex marriage where sodomy does not take place. Which would imply that as long as sodomy is not practiced, the Quran has no prohibition against same sex marriage.
(edited 7 years ago)
But to answer your question since your poll doesn't give the view that Muslims will believe in:

I personally disagree with homosexuality because I am a Muslim. As such, I do not believe it should be banned or illegal or criminalised (probably in Muslims countries though) because if a Muslim says something like that in a country like Britain, then we are accused of pushing Shariah law in Britain and then a huge **** storm just erupts. I have seen this, witnessed this, and heard this sooooooo many times so anybody who disagrees with that is not going to have a hope in hell of convincing me otherwise.

Being a Muslim, homosexuality is haram and personally, I don't see the point in it and don't see how it arises and I think personally just being honest that it's disgusting. I actually genuinely feel sick about thinking about homosexuality. But, saying this, I wouldn't go and publicly mock or tell them what they're doing is gross etc. (not just my view, many have the same view) and would just ignore them or move the hell away.

Seeing your comment about Shariah law earlier...

Shariah is not the reason Islam is a mess. Islam is a mess because of the media, because of the west and because of the terrorists who hijack Islam and try to alter its meanings for their own purposes. What is shariah law in there?

Islam is not just about praying and fasting, it's much more. We do let people "live and let live" I don't see how, I, for example am not letting you live? Or another Muslim I can't imagine is preventing you from living...?
Original post by Nickierose21
It doesn't say in the quran that homosexuality should be criminalized it talks about what some guess to be homosexuals being punished in the time Lut. That's the only mention of it. And that was punishment from GOD not man. In fact Lot told them to refrain from their actions but it never depicts him trying to punish them himself. I think it's between them and GOD.

I think its between the person and God
I'm a muslim youth
but i don't believe it should be criminalised, and i would never treat a person differently because their gay.
and in islam, its not allowed to have gay s** but it's not haram to be gay
just like for someone who's straight, its not allowed to have s** outside of marriage
Original post by Jeff548
But to answer your question since your poll doesn't give the view that Muslims will believe in:

I personally disagree with homosexuality because I am a Muslim. As such, I do not believe it should be banned or illegal or criminalised (probably in Muslims countries though) because if a Muslim says something like that in a country like Britain, then we are accused of pushing Shariah law in Britain and then a huge **** storm just erupts. I have seen this, witnessed this, and heard this sooooooo many times so anybody who disagrees with that is not going to have a hope in hell of convincing me otherwise.

Being a Muslim, homosexuality is haram and personally, I don't see the point in it and don't see how it arises and I think personally just being honest that it's disgusting. I actually genuinely feel sick about thinking about homosexuality. But, saying this, I wouldn't go and publicly mock or tell them what they're doing is gross etc. (not just my view, many have the same view) and would just ignore them or move the hell away.

Shariah is not the reason Islam is a mess. Islam is a mess because of the media, because of the west and because of the terrorists who hijack Islam and try to alter its meanings for their own purposes. What is shariah law in there?

Islam is not just about praying and fasting, it's much more. We do let people "live and let live" I don't see how, I, for example am not letting you live? Or another Muslim I can't imagine is preventing you from living...?

exactly, as in the Quran it say's that there is no compulsion in religion... you can't force somebody to follow all aspects of Islam
Original post by reinaadira
exactly, as in the Quran it say's that there is no compulsion in religion... you can't force somebody to follow all aspects of Islam

What on Earth...?
Original post by Jeff548
What on Earth...?

I mean like what you said about Letting People Live etc. like if a non muslim is doing something not allowed in Islam, we don't have the right and shouldn't force them to stop doing it
A recent documentary revealed that 50% of British Muslims believe such a thing

I think it should be legalized.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jeff548

if a Muslim says something like that in a country like Britain, then we are accused of pushing Shariah law in Britain and then a huge **** storm just erupts.

Too right we dont need opressive ideas over here and we have a right to challenge them. anyone that says this deserves a ****storm

I wouldn't go and publicly mock or tell them what they're doing is gross etc. (not just my view, many have the same view) and would just ignore them or move the hell away.

But you would be fine having it against the law, you are effectively telling them that this is gross.
this

Sharia law is oppressive and the reason that Islam is a "mess" is not the west or us. it is a oppressive ideology and a backwards government and system.

So letting them live and let live unless they are gay, a woman. non Muslim
ok sure

Original post by reinaadira
I think its between the person and God
I'm a muslim youth
but i don't believe it should be criminalised, and i would never treat a person differently because their gay.
and in islam, its not allowed to have gay s** but it's not haram to be gay
just like for someone who's straight, its not allowed to have s** outside of marriage

yeah homosexuality isn't specifically mentioned in the Quran and some perceive the story Lot to be about homosexuality.
Original post by AperfectBalance
if a Muslim says something like that in a country like Britain, then we are accused of pushing Shariah law in Britain and then a huge **** storm just erupts.

Too right we dont need opressive ideas over here and we have a right to challenge them. anyone that says this deserves a ****storm

I wouldn't go and publicly mock or tell them what they're doing is gross etc. (not just my view, many have the same view) and would just ignore them or move the hell away.

But you would be fine having it against the law, you are effectively telling them that this is gross.
this

Sharia law is oppressive and the reason that Islam is a "mess" is not the west or us. it is a oppressive ideology and a backwards government and system.

So letting them live and let live unless they are gay, a woman. non Muslim
ok sure

Hahahaha you don't get it. When a non Muslims comments vice versa about a Muslim country, its ok and it is portrayed that the Muslim country is wrong. However, in my case it causes a **** storm. So your suggestion basically is just a **** storm? I mean it's only if a Muslim says it. I know plenty of white people who hate gay/homo more than me but that's okay. But if I hate it... oh boy. It's a bloody case and a half of me 'pushing Shariah law'

You clearly didn't read what was written. I said I would be happy for it to be illegal if the UK government decided (never would but just saying) but I wouldn't go and tell a gay person to their face that they are being disgusting. Don't see how that could've been clearer.

Hahahaha please, continue to entertain me. Explain my friend if you have a clue what you're on about.

So letting them live and let live unless they are gay, a woman. non Muslimok sure
By this point my friend, either I have lost any ****s I previously had in your 'argument' or I just don't know what on Earth you're on about. You decide
LOL
So many Islamists on TSR are like" It should not be banned here but it should be banned in Muslim countries"

LOL. Srs..:facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
A recent documentary revealed that 50% of British Muslims believe such a thing

Nope, I don't think people should judge. I consider homosexuality as an equal to heterosexuality- there is no point of us judging when we are faulty beings.
Original post by Jeff548
I personally disagree with homosexuality because I am a Muslim.

There is verse in the Quran that explicitly condemns homosexuality. So your disagreement is most likely cultural.

I don't see the point in it

That's not really a strong argument.

and don't see how it arises and I think personally just being honest that it's disgusting.

Morality is not dictated my disgust. I think McDonalds is disgusting, therefore eating McDonalds is wrong?

I actually genuinely feel sick about thinking about homosexuality.

I can't fathom why someone loving another human being would make you feel sick.

I would argue part of the reason Islam has an image problem in the West is that among many Muslims communities there exists a lot of homophobia, which reflects badly on Muslims and Islam in general. The homophobia within the Muslim community is something that needs to be challenged.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jeff548

But you say it should be criminalized in in Muslim countries. Muslims always demand rights abd privileges in the UK but they are not willing to award rights to minorities in Muslim countries.

Typical... And Yes sharia does not ensure human rights and it is vile abd disgusting. Saudi is a mess

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AhmedMA99
I was not talking about you being Muslim and Gay. If you claim that you are a Muslim, then you must know Lut. His people were killed in a horrible way.

Prophet Lut's (PBUH) people were killed in a horrible way because they were sodomites. Not for being gay, but for having gay sex. Prophet Lut begged them not to lay in bed with a man as they would with a woman (i.e. not to have gay sex) they ignored him.

they were punished for the sex. Even prophet Lut's wife, who was NOT gay, was punished the same way because she encouraged them to have gay sex.

I am not supposed to encourage gay sex because I am a Muslim, but because I am a Muslim, I am also expected to be tolerant and accepting (as by the teachings of the Qur'an), meaning that I should not discriminate against anybody.

If you google it you can find info about gay muslims. I have taken the liberty of finding an article for you, I suggest you read it

https://www.buzzfeed.com/husseinkesvani/gay-muslims-in-straight-marriages?utm_term=.lhYbN8PB1#.rwa7V12l8

even though these men are in straight marriages, they are gay.

EDIT: heres a part of the article just incse you wont read it

“To have the inclination has never been condemned,” he said. “It’s acting upon it.”
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The Epicurean
There is verse in the Quran that explicitly condemns homosexuality. So your disagreement is most likely cultural.

That's not really a strong argument.

Morality is not dictated my disgust. I think McDonalds is disgusting, therefore eating McDonalds is wrong?

I would argue part of the reason Islam has an image problem in the West is that among many Muslims communities there exists a lot of homophobia, which reflects badly on Muslims and Islam in general. The homophobia within the Muslim community is something that needs to be challenged.

Well ******* obviously, I did say "because I am a Muslim." My disagreement is religious therefore so otherwise I haven't a clue da f you on about.

I said it's wrong because my religion "condemns it explicitly..." and also I went to say that I personally feel it's disgusting which is why I as an individual am against it. Not saying the whole world should believe me.

Well go and fathom the fact that it's two males of the same sex loving one another which is clearly not natural and so personally makes me disgusted

So your suggestion is to make Muslims more comfortable with the subject of homosexuality even though it is 'explicitly condemned?' Just as another member posted and undrlining my previous point, you can challenge something to a Muslim community but a Muslim community cannot challenge something back? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

-Big Boi
Original post by Jeff548
Well ******* obviously, I did say "because I am a Muslim." My disagreement is religious therefore so otherwise I haven't a clue da f you on about.

Being a Muslim does not mean one thinks homosexuality is wrong. There are Muslims who believe homosexuality is acceptable within Islam.

I said it's wrong because my religion "condemns it explicitly..." and also I went to say that I personally feel it's disgusting which is why I as an individual am against it. Not saying the whole world should believe me.

But there is no verse in the Quran which explicitly condemns homosexuality, so you are obviously deriving this disliking from elsewhere.

Well go and fathom the fact that it's two males of the same sex loving one another which is clearly not natural and so personally makes me disgusted

I still don't see why two people loving each other is disgusting. And homosexuality is perfectly natural. Homosexuality has been observed in many other species.

So your suggestion is to make Muslims more comfortable with the subject of homosexuality even though it is 'explicitly condemned?' Just as another member posted and undrlining my previous point, you can challenge something to a Muslim community but a Muslim community cannot challenge something back? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Ones sexuality, like race, is not something one chooses. Your argument can be used to defend racism. The Book of Mormon says this:

And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

And thus saith the Lord God: I will cause that they shall be loathsome unto thy people, save they shall repent of their iniquities.

And cursed shall be the seed of him that mixeth with their seed; for they shall be cursed even with the same cursing. And the Lord spake it, and it was done.

So because the Book of Mormon says that, Mormons should be allowed to make racist comments about black people?
Yh
@The Epicurean

You went quite far to defend Islam for a Non-Muslim. Seems rare on this site.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending