The Student Room Group

IAL (AS) Biology WBI03/01-May 9

This poll is closed

What (WHICH*) core practical do you guys think would come this May 2016?

Effect of Caffeine on Daphnia Heart rate (Daphnia-related). 13%
Measuring Vitamin-C content. 63%
Cell Membrane Permeability (Beetroot) 0%
Effect of changing enzyme concentration on rate of reaction. 0%
Observing Mitosis (onion root cell) 13%
Totipotency and Tissue Culture 4%
Strength of Plant Fibres 4%
Plant Mineral Deficiencies 4%
Antimicrobial Properties of Plants.0%
Total votes: 24
What core practical do you guys think would come this May 2016?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by MinhazMadridista
What core practical do you guys think would come this May 2016?

You also doing IAS?
Original post by Haddar
You also doing IAS?

Yeah by IAS I meant International Advanced Subsidary. AS Level you may just say lol. Anyways, what CORE PRACTICAL you think might come this May 9?
Reply 3
Yeah by IAS I meant International Advanced Subsidary. AS Level you may just say lol. Anyways, what CORE PRACTICAL you think might come this May 9?

Ya doing international as well here and tbh not 100% sure about that one.
You doing any other subjects?
Original post by Haddar
Ya doing international as well here and tbh not 100% sure about that one.
You doing any other subjects?

Umm yeah. Physcis and Chemistry. Wbu?
Reply 5
Umm yeah. Physcis and Chemistry. Wbu?

maths and chemistry, how are you finding chem unit 2?
Original post by Haddar
maths and chemistry, how are you finding chem unit 2?

Its fine i guess :/ Quiet challenging.
Reply 7
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Guys, how are you revising? Bio U3 is stressing me out sooo much. And can anyone tell me how to attempt the 'implication' stuff from Question 2? :frown::frown:
Original post by ARP1234
Guys, how are you revising? Bio U3 is stressing me out sooo much. And can anyone tell me how to attempt the 'implication' stuff from Question 2? :frown::frown:

Dont stress out. Just practice Past papers and mark scheme more. Keep calm and make sure you know all the points you are required to.
Implications can be economic, social, ethical or environmental. If asked then you have to write something thats related to either of these. For e.g- for economic, you have discuss about money or profit loss and gains. For social, describe social concerns, like what reaction or effect is likely to be given by a group of people or society on a particular topic.
Hope it helps.
Original post by Suhail99
I don't know.. Btw what time is your exam??

Posted from TSR Mobile

May 9, 12.00 pm
Reply 12
Dont stress out. Just practice Past papers and mark scheme more. Keep calm and make sure you know all the points you are required to.
Implications can be economic, social, ethical or environmental. If asked then you have to write something thats related to either of these. For e.g- for economic, you have discuss about money or profit loss and gains. For social, describe social concerns, like what reaction or effect is likely to be given by a group of people or society on a particular topic.
Hope it helps.

Thanks a lot @MinhazMadridista, and best of luck for the exam.
Original post by ARP1234
Thanks a lot @MinhazMadridista, and best of luck for the exam.

Thanks. Wish you the same :smile:
Original post by ARP1234

Implications
1. Economic
Financial issue so some of the keywords to look for would be cost, equipment, sales, profit, economy, income, etc
2. Social- How does it affect society?
Key words- increased/decreased income, education, health, more jobs created (employment)
3. Ethical
Moral principles are taken into account
4. Environmental
Something to do with the environment :P
Words like rainforest, biodiversity, sustainability, pollution, fossil fuels, species, food chain, waste, etc
Reply 15
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Guys I wish you all did well in the exam I have a question the factor needed to be controlled in the effect of ethanol on daphnia can i write ph?
Reply 17
Original post by notsoclueless
Implications
1. Economic
Financial issue so some of the keywords to look for would be cost, equipment, sales, profit, economy, income, etc
2. Social- How does it affect society?
Key words- increased/decreased income, education, health, more jobs created (employment)
3. Ethical
Moral principles are taken into account
4. Environmental
Something to do with the environment :P
Words like rainforest, biodiversity, sustainability, pollution, fossil fuels, species, food chain, waste, etc

Thanks man, I forgot to reply earlier. How did the exam go for you? Apart from one or two silly mistakes here and there I reckon mine wasn't too bad.
Reply 18
Original post by beheiry
Guys I wish you all did well in the exam I have a question the factor needed to be controlled in the effect of ethanol on daphnia can i write ph?

I've written the same thing, but for some reason all my friends are telling me it will most likely not be accepted! :frown: Apparently size of daphnia is the best option. How was your exam overall?
Reply 19
@MinhazMadridista how was your exam?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending