The Student Room Group

Which college should I choose? Help!!

Hi, I'm going to a new college next year & starting afresh, thing is I'm stuck deciding as I'm 50/50 on both. So I need some help..

College A
Pros
Offers the subjects I want to do - preferably a-levels
Brilliant facilities - educational and for social
Massive building & loads of space
OFSTED rating outstanding
Offers a wide range of a-levels and btec's
It will allow me to make a fresh start where no one will know me
Don't have to go in every day
More independent
Felt confident in the college
Loads of opportunities
Can do a levels and do btec at a later date
Friendly people - taster session absolutely brilliant loved it.
Pastoral care which my current college is useless at
Didn't seem misleading - my sixth form teachers pretty much lie about everything
Students who want to go to university get ``special attention``
College itself has a great rep. and is one of the best fe college in the county

Cons
Worried I would find my subjects too hard (11 gcses @ b's - d's mediocre from TSR's level... i know...)
Not many university courses jump out at me at the moment apart from history and also - but what can i do with that???
Dunno if i really wanna go university - If I did btec i would get work experience too - we don;t get that with a levels.

College B
Pros
Offers loads of extra curricular clubs something colleges & sixth forms in my area seem to be lacking in...
Would allow me to choose a course so would land me on the path to one of my preferred career paths
My friend is there
btecs = coursework which I mostly do better in
Way more free time
The taster session was fun and the course seemed interesting despite what happened.

Cons
I don't know a lot about the college itself
Only offers btecs - no a levels
I would be stuck with the btec - i'm an indecisive person
I think I would miss learning
Even if i did do btec it I wouldn't be able to do the TechBacc
Worried I would be limited
Felt v. insecure in the environment and generally uncomfortable in that college environment

Thanks in advance for your help :smile:

PS.

Spoiler

Based on the information you've given, I'd say that college A would probably be the better option. As long as you meet any subject/grade requirements for the subjects you want to study, then you'll probably be able to cope with the content/workload. College A also gives you the option of A Levels of BTECs, and that's good if you're not sure whether to go to uni or not. You said you felt very insecure in college B's environment, and that's a big issue in my opinion - if you don't feel comfortable in your environment, then you're less likely to do well because you'll feel worried/uncomfortable all the time.

I hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest