The Student Room Group

Failing the IB

I am almost certain that I will fail the IB Diploma because in my math IA I copied almost entire stuff from the internet and cited it, which will not earn me anything.

SO, I wanted to ask that will the American universities still accept me if I get the IB Certificate and not the IB Diploma?
Reply 1
Hi!

I'm not sure but in our school if our course work is over a certain percentage of similarity on turn-it in (depends on the subject) even if we have citing properly they take it quiet seriously (bit like plagiarism) If the majority of your work is other peoples work, even if you've cited it, you'll most likely be flagged because honestly its not your work, that then can affect your ability to get certificates because IB is cray about this stuff. (Though I don't know how bad your copying it so I can't say anything, and this is for our school and I'm not sure about your school handles stuff)

Though I people in my school still sat the SAT's to apply to US uni's (despite having the full diploma), and judge mainly on that and the courses they take (like AP's?) so I would assume certificates would be enough. You're best looking up the uni's you would like to apply for and look at the entry requirements, it should say somewhere.

Completely sorry if I've confused you haha
Reply 2
Original post by Fi101
Hi!

I'm not sure but in our school if our course work is over a certain percentage of similarity on turn-it in (depends on the subject) even if we have citing properly they take it quiet seriously (bit like plagiarism) If the majority of your work is other peoples work, even if you've cited it, you'll most likely be flagged because honestly its not your work, that then can affect your ability to get certificates because IB is cray about this stuff. (Though I don't know how bad your copying it so I can't say anything, and this is for our school and I'm not sure about your school handles stuff)

Though I people in my school still sat the SAT's to apply to US uni's (despite having the full diploma), and judge mainly on that and the courses they take (like AP's?) so I would assume certificates would be enough. You're best looking up the uni's you would like to apply for and look at the entry requirements, it should say somewhere.

Completely sorry if I've confused you haha

Thanks for the reply..bt my school has already sent the IA for assessment. I did it because at that moment I was lazy and was looking for a short cut. I didn't think that this would cost me my diploma...:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by Vivek_003
Thanks for the reply..bt my school has already sent the IA for assessment. I did it because at that moment I was lazy and was looking for a short cut. I didn't think that this would cost me my diploma...:frown:

Math IA's tend to be externally moderated (so they send of a few and IB checks the teachers grading) so are you sure that yours was taken as one of the samples and sent off? You might be able to change it if they haven't. I was wondering if you did a draft for your teacher as well? Wouldn't they have picked up on it and asked you to change it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending