The Student Room Group

Exam Panic

I'm a year 13 student currently studying for my A levels in biology, chemistry and maths. Up until now I have been fine with exams-I mean, I got stressed but I always pulled through and achieved the grades I wanted.

But I feel that the stress of year 13 is getting to me. I have had biology and chemistry ISA's recently, and in neither of these have I done as well as I hoped to. The frustrating thing is, I worked my butt off for them and was really disappointed with my results. I feel that this has put me in a bad frame of mind for my upcoming exams because these results are almost hanging over me.

I am probably my own worst critic and perhaps I put myself under too much pressure. I want to get A*'s and if I don't get them I feel disapointed.

Suddenly I just can't cope in exams anymore. I see a question and I panic. I just can't think straight. Annoyingly, coming out of the exam I realise the answers to questions which were so simple, but due to me panicking, I was unable to answer.

I know I am capable of doing well, but I feel this 'exam panic' is really standing in my way. My mum has noticed that I have not been myself recently. I have been in tears for the last few nights as I'm really now crumbling under the pressure of A levels. I want to move on from my unsuccessful ISA's but they just keep replaying over in over in my mind.I'm thinking of all the things I should have written but didn't. I need to find a way to get over this exam panic that is standing in my way. I was shaking in one of my exams the other day and was almost in tears due to my panicking.

Any advice would be great, or maybe I am not the only one who is struggling with this problem?
Original post by Bluebubbles123
I'm a year 13 student currently studying for my A levels in biology, chemistry and maths. Up until now I have been fine with exams-I mean, I got stressed but I always pulled through and achieved the grades I wanted.

But I feel that the stress of year 13 is getting to me. I have had biology and chemistry ISA's recently, and in neither of these have I done as well as I hoped to. The frustrating thing is, I worked my butt off for them and was really disappointed with my results. I feel that this has put me in a bad frame of mind for my upcoming exams because these results are almost hanging over me.

I am probably my own worst critic and perhaps I put myself under too much pressure. I want to get A*'s and if I don't get them I feel disapointed.

Suddenly I just can't cope in exams anymore. I see a question and I panic. I just can't think straight. Annoyingly, coming out of the exam I realise the answers to questions which were so simple, but due to me panicking, I was unable to answer.

I know I am capable of doing well, but I feel this 'exam panic' is really standing in my way. My mum has noticed that I have not been myself recently. I have been in tears for the last few nights as I'm really now crumbling under the pressure of A levels. I want to move on from my unsuccessful ISA's but they just keep replaying over in over in my mind.I'm thinking of all the things I should have written but didn't. I need to find a way to get over this exam panic that is standing in my way. I was shaking in one of my exams the other day and was almost in tears due to my panicking.

Any advice would be great, or maybe I am not the only one who is struggling with this problem?

Yes! Oh my god I literally feel exactly the same and I find it so weird because I've never let the stress/panic get to me in the past years but suddenly year 13 comes along and suddenly I'm screwing everything up! I revise hard but I can't seem to think straight in the exams and it's awful because I know that I know the content, my brain just casually turns into slush.

I've noticed one thing that's worked for me is that when I start feeling overwhelmed, I take a deep breath and take my eyes of the paper and tell myself I just need to calm down, that I know the answer and I need to take a deep breath and try again because I will get there in the end. This mantra has been working so far but I don't know.....
Original post by cookiemonster15
Yes! Oh my god I literally feel exactly the same and I find it so weird because I've never let the stress/panic get to me in the past years but suddenly year 13 comes along and suddenly I'm screwing everything up! I revise hard but I can't seem to think straight in the exams and it's awful because I know that I know the content, my brain just casually turns into slush.

I've noticed one thing that's worked for me is that when I start feeling overwhelmed, I take a deep breath and take my eyes of the paper and tell myself I just need to calm down, that I know the answer and I need to take a deep breath and try again because I will get there in the end. This mantra has been working so far but I don't know.....

I'm so glad it's not just me! It's so frustrating though because I know i can answer the question in my own time, it't just like in the exams I am a different person!

Thank you so much for the support!
My mum suggests I have counselling sessions-I mean, I guess it's worth a try but I just can't see it helping!

Heya, I'm feeling the exact same too! I can relate to every single thing you said, and I'm doing the same subjects and hoping for the same grades and everything:smile: I have my biology EMPA Tuesday and I've done so much work for it but I feel as if I haven't progressed at all and just like I can't do anything! I go over exams and things just like you're talking about your ISAs and it drives me crazy because I know it isn't helping and I need to move forward but I can't stop doing it! I know this comment isn't helpful at all, but sometimes it's just nice to know that someone else is feeling the same!!Are you hoping to go to uni?? what're you thinking of studying?:smile:
yeah another person feeling the exact same! I stressed out a tiny bit last year, im mega stressing this year. The years before i never stressed at all, i always took exams in my stride. Its kinda scary!!
Original post by Pointlesssuggery
Heya, I'm feeling the exact same too! I can relate to every single thing you said, and I'm doing the same subjects and hoping for the same grades and everything:smile: I have my biology EMPA Tuesday and I've done so much work for it but I feel as if I haven't progressed at all and just like I can't do anything! I go over exams and things just like you're talking about your ISAs and it drives me crazy because I know it isn't helping and I need to move forward but I can't stop doing it! I know this comment isn't helpful at all, but sometimes it's just nice to know that someone else is feeling the same!!Are you hoping to go to uni?? what're you thinking of studying?:smile:

I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling from the same thing as me but in a way it is once again comforting to know that it isn't just me! Sometimes just knowing that you aren't the only one who is stuggling can be a good thing to know.
I hope your EMPA goes well next week but if I'm honest when people said that to me it kind of frustrated me because of course they 'hope' you do well but at the end of the day there is nothing they can do!
I think the fact that I am pushing myself to get A*'s doesn't help. But it's just the fact, like you, I know I can get them so it is annoying when I don't. I got A*'s in my mocks, but thats because it didn't include ISA's and also i didn't feel under so much pressure because I knew those exams didn't count for anything!
Yes I'm hoping to study biochemistry at university, how about you?

thanks again for your response
Thanks for your response! You are not alone!
It doesn't help that chemistry and biology are subjects where you have to think straight because they are quite logical!
i would say so. but past papers are key so you can get the hang of exam technique
It's even worse that they seem to be focusing more on application questions now, so not only do we need to learn and understand the topics, we now have to apply them to different situations...

Two weeks seems like enough as long as you've got the motivation to do it!!
I'm so glad it's not just me! It's so frustrating though because I know i can answer the question in my own time, it't just like in the exams I am a different person!

Thank you so much for the support!
My mum suggests I have counselling sessions-I mean, I guess it's worth a try but I just can't see it helping!

Yeah, it really sucks especially when you finish said exam and realise that you've been so stupid and answered questions wrong...

It is weird though how its only happening this year, I don't know if it's because the content is harder or if its about getting the grades for uni....because in the previous years, yes I'd be a bit nervous but normally it wouldn't get to me, its only this year that its more stressful in exam situations..
I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling from the same thing as me but in a way it is once again comforting to know that it isn't just me! Sometimes just knowing that you aren't the only one who is stuggling can be a good thing to know.
I hope your EMPA goes well next week but if I'm honest when people said that to me it kind of frustrated me because of course they 'hope' you do well but at the end of the day there is nothing they can do!
I think the fact that I am pushing myself to get A*'s doesn't help. But it's just the fact, like you, I know I can get them so it is annoying when I don't. I got A*'s in my mocks, but thats because it didn't include ISA's and also i didn't feel under so much pressure because I knew those exams didn't count for anything!
Yes I'm hoping to study biochemistry at university, how about you?

thanks again for your response

No, thank you so much for saying that about the EMPA! And that's amazing that you got A*s in your mocks, maybe in the exams if you tell yourself that your mocks are proof that you can do it, and that was with less preparation than you've done now! That's really cool, I'm hoping to do Natural Sciences!

Hello, I know exactly how you feel because it used to be the single reason why I never used to do well in tests etc leading up to the exams. I think because I'm going to study Medicine at university, this used to worsen the problem because I used to be terrified of the thought of failing or even worse, getting the offer and then falling at the last hurdle in terms of grades. I like to think that I'm a lot better at it now, and I think that's because I've learnt to desensitise myself to it. Anyways, I'm just gonna list a few things I like to do to help, and maybe they'll be helpful?

1) Identify why exactly you feel this panic. Clearly it's something that's only sprung up this year and has never affected you before, so maybe try and think back over this year and see if there's anything in particular that's caused it? Like for me, it was stress about uni. If you're not sure, this is where someone else's suggestion of counselling would really help; you can't hope to fix a problem until you know what's causing it!

2) Set up an inspirational study place. I work in a set area at all times in my house, and I have a picture of the uni I'm trying to get to motivate me, as well as lots of different quotes that I find inspiring. This is a really good way to put me in a positive mood when studying and I find that reading those quotes etc when I'm stressed about work helps me to calm down a bit

3) Don't be afraid to ask for help from friends! In life, there will always be people that are better than you at something. Rather than using that as a reason to put you down, seek those people out as an opportunity, and ask them for their help in things you're not certain about! That way, revision is more fun because you're meeting up with people AND you're getting pro tips from people that are really good at a particular subject, which will definitely benefit you.

4) I study Biology, Chemistry and English Literature. While English and Chemistry are things that have always come naturally to me, I struggled quite a lot with Biology, especially because my teacher hates me for no apparent reason, so I can't ask her for any help because she just judges me. XD I went on this course at another school that was really helpful, and the guy gave me some amazing tips which really helped
- Before attempting a question, stop and read the blurb. Down the margin, jot down potential topics/syllabus statements the blurb may be hinting to. This helps you get to grips with the mood of the question and what it's actually trying to test you on, so by the time you actually attempt the questions, chances are, just by thinking about the blurb you'll already have thought of the answers to the majority of them
- To stop yourself from skipping ahead, like me, I like to put a post it note over the questions just after the blurb to stop me going any further when I practice
- When you look at data questions, again, don't look at the question first, but just try and sit and analyse the data yourself. Make notes on the graphs, what the gradients are telling you, what the pattern of the graph is, maybe some explanations as to why this could be, and this will really help with the subsequent questions
- If you reach a long answer question worth 6 or more marks, and you don't know how to tackle it, go to the back and use the additional pages to jot down everything you know about the topic from your revision. If by doing this, you've got a pretty decent answer, just mark this as your answer and move on, but otherwise, use this information to answer the question, because then you don't have to worry about remembering all of it, and you're just copying relevant facts across
- If you don't know the answer to a question after 30s, move on. You'd rather spend time on questions you'll know the answer to, because you're never going to know the answer to every single question on that paper

I read an interesting theory about students that perform best while in a 'flow state' i.e. they've done so much practice that they don't even have to think about what they're writing, because their memory automatically recognises recurring questions and they almost subconsciously start to answer the question. In order to achieve this, they recommended doing AS MANY PAST PAPERS AS POSSIBLE; this works particularly well for the sciences, and may help you overcome the feeling of nervousness in the exams, because you're in that very relaxed state of mind.

Anyways, I hope this helps - I've used all of this in my own personal experience to help me overcome my exam anxiety, so I know that it does actually work. Please feel free to message me if you want any more advice etc :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey guys I'm in the exact same position as you. I'm also in year 13 and the stress is really getting to me. I've never been this stressed before and the stress is getting to the point where it makes me so unproductive. I feel as if I'm not going to do well because of stress :frown: it's all too much :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest