The Student Room Group

Exam panic

I'm a year 13 student currently studying for my A levels in biology, chemistry and maths. Up until now I have been fine with exams-I mean, I got stressed but I always pulled through and achieved the grades I wanted.

But I feel that the stress of year 13 is getting to me. I have had biology and chemistry ISA's recently, and in neither of these have I done as well as I hoped to. The frustrating thing is, I worked my butt off for them and was really disappointed with my results. I feel that this has put me in a bad frame of mind for my upcoming exams because these results are almost hanging over me.

I am probably my own worst critic and perhaps I put myself under too much pressure. I want to get A*'s and if I don't get them I feel disapointed.

Suddenly I just can't cope in exams anymore. I see a question and I panic. I just can't think straight. Annoyingly, coming out of the exam I realise the answers to questions which were so simple, but due to me panicking, I was unable to answer.

I know I am capable of doing well, but I feel this 'exam panic' is really standing in my way. My mum has noticed that I have not been myself recently. I have been in tears for the last few nights as I'm really now crumbling under the pressure of A levels. I want to move on from my unsuccessful ISA's but they just keep replaying over in over in my mind.I'm thinking of all the things I should have written but didn't. I need to find a way to get over this exam panic that is standing in my way. I was shaking in one of my exams the other day and was almost in tears due to my panicking.

Any advice would be great, or maybe I am not the only one who is struggling with this problem?
Just think of it this way there's nothing you can do but your best and that won't happen if you feel so panicked you can't even focus on the questions. This is our last shot because am not sure if retaking is an option anymore and you've worked too long and too hard to let it all crumble becuase of anxiety and fear.
Like you said you know you can do it so just do it and be the best you can be 😊👍
The pressure and stress is doing you more damage than good.

Do some past papers under timed conditions and get them marked, so you have the reassurance you can do well. If you cant go straight for exam conditions then do untimed or open book. That way you know your last number of exams you did well.
Keep doing past papers. And literally memorise the mark scheme key words. Especially for biology and chemistry
For maths I suggest you check out AZ Tutoring on You Tube.
They cover past exam questions and content.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest