The Student Room Group

Insurance help

I've recently brought a car on finance and the insurance is quite costly over 2k but lower with a black box but have been reading reviews and there not so good. I'm not a bad driver but don't want to be penalised for every little mistake or going over the speed limit accidentally. Do they track where you park at night? As at the moment in living with a family member but the car had to be financed in my mums address which is a couple of miles away. My licence is in my mums address and worried there ask me to get the address changed on if I give them my current address which is only temporary as I'll be moving in with my mum in a few months no doubt.
So could they tell where the car is parked? Don't know what to do
Original post by adele456
I've recently brought a car on finance and the insurance is quite costly over 2k but lower with a black box but have been reading reviews and there not so good. I'm not a bad driver but don't want to be penalised for every little mistake or going over the speed limit accidentally. Do they track where you park at night? As at the moment in living with a family member but the car had to be financed in my mums address which is a couple of miles away. My licence is in my mums address and worried there ask me to get the address changed on if I give them my current address which is only temporary as I'll be moving in with my mum in a few months no doubt.
So could they tell where the car is parked? Don't know what to do

It's worth checking the individual policy, but I think generally, you don't get penalised if driving over the speed limit, but you do get rewarded if you drive well... So, say you constantly speed, it probably wouldn't increase your insurance, but you wouldn't get any potential benefits. If you drove well though, there may be rewards that your insurer gives... Besides that, it won't matter if you brake hard once or twice... It'll take an overview of your driving, not just single out one thing you've done wrong!

I'm not sure about parking at night, however, looking at Myth 5 here for example, Admiral don't track you in real time, so if it were them, I don't think it would matter... Again, see if the insurance company has more information on that...
It varies policy-to-policy, but I would disagree with the above - if you consistently break the speed limit, I'm sure they WILL increase your policy.

If I was running an insurance company, I wouldn't miss an opportunity like that to further raise premiums...
Reply 3
Thanks for the advice, I don't constantly speed so that wouldn't be a problem. Just got to choose which company to go with now. In between minds weather to get a black box or only young drivers have an app or pay the higher amount :/
I was once at a similar situation to you with addresses when taking out insurance which put me against getting a black box.

Most of them track where your car is kept at night through GPS in the box, of course there is lee-way with that. They don't expect you to have it home EVERY night, but more than half of the week they expect to see your car there.

You could always change your address when you move in to your mums, but expect some kind of admin cost there. And if the postcode has a higher insurance rate (you can check this online) then expect your insurance price to go up too!

If a black box is the cheapest option, I'd say go for it - and just pay out when you move to your mums and change address.
And they do monitor speed, and braking, but in all fairness, they stop you picking up bad habits like harsh braking and speeding so in a way, they are a good thing as well as bad. :smile:
Reply 5
Thank you :smile: going to ring up and get insurance today and hopefully it'll be alright as one of the company's wanted the v5 document to put the black box in :/.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XMaramena
It varies policy-to-policy, but I would disagree with the above - if you consistently break the speed limit, I'm sure they WILL increase your policy.

If I was running an insurance company, I wouldn't miss an opportunity like that to further raise premiums...

If I was running an insurance company, I wouldn't miss an opportunity to kick an elderly lady to the floor when nobody was looking and have away with her pension money. Fortunately I'm not a crook.

Anyway with regards to those black boxes, are they capable of telling when your off-road? Some people enjoy track days and blasting around dirt tracks in fields. Is there a way to prevent such activities affecting the insurance if you have a black box?
Original post by Laomedeia
If I was running an insurance company, I wouldn't miss an opportunity to kick an elderly lady to the floor when nobody was looking and have away with her pension money. Fortunately I'm not a crook.

Anyway with regards to those black boxes, are they capable of telling when your off-road? Some people enjoy track days and blasting around dirt tracks in fields. Is there a way to prevent such activities affecting the insurance if you have a black box?

You would have to discuss that with your insurer. But if you use a little thing called common sense, it might occur to you that an insurance policy based on telematics is probably not the best choice for a vehicle you intend to use for motorsports :wink:

Just saying...

:lol::lol::lol:

IMO, if you want to do track days and such like, maybe even try some amateur racing, then the best way to do it is to have a second car just for that, which you transport on a trailer. Doing so means you don't have to tax it, insure it, or MOT it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending