The Student Room Group

Why the hell do girls flirt if they aint single?!?

Scroll to see replies

Oh and another thing....

Why is there the presumption that flirting equals being interested? Tbh working at a village pub myself there is constantly a low level of flirting towards older female customers and vice versa. It doesn't mean I'm planning on taking 79 year old Margaret home for a good seeing to!

I think too many guys presume flirting equals interest and too many girls fail to notice when they are partaking in low level flirting too much.

Original post by Wired_1800
I think there should rules of engagement between men and women. There should also be boundaries. So that when a girl is flirting, the lad knows that she is flirting and proceeds; if not, he just backs down.

It is definitely very easy for a girl to switch from being friendly to flirting. At the end, it will be her word versus his word. In most cases, her word stands.

Partially just read what I put above the quote. Tbh bar literally asking I think miscommunications will happen.

Guys need to stop getting so butthurt and bitchy about it, girls need to stop getting so offended. Simples.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by DanB1991
Oh and another thing....

Why is there the presumption that flirting equals being interested? Tbh working at a village pub myself there is constantly a low level of flirting towards older female customers and vice versa. It doesn't mean I'm planning on taking 79 year old Margaret home for a good seeing to!

I think too many guys presume flirting equals interest and too many girls fail to notice when they are partaking in low level flirting too much.

Partially just read what I put above the quote. Tbh bar literally asking I think miscommunications will happen.

Guys need to stop getting so butthurt and bitchy about it, girls need to stop getting so offended. Simples.

True.
Original post by DanB1991
As a guy the whole friendliness thing can get a tad confusing.....

I remember one night a female friend was flirting like crazy, until making out with me and trying to get me back to hers. A few nights later she acted almost identically (well identically in my mind), and when I leaned in for round two and got rejected my response was "oh I thought you were flirting" and thus I got the whole friendly does not equal flirting response.....

:dontknow: I just think most guys at some point will mistake friendliness for flirting, as will girls use flirty behaviour while being friendly. Hell you can even swap the genders in some situations!

If she made out with you then that was certainly not 'just being friendly,' but obvious flirting. My being friendly to guys is often wrongfully perceived as me being flirtatious just because I laugh a lot regardless of who I'm talking to. As a rule of thumb, if there's any sexual touch from her, then she's flirting, if not, then chances are she's just being friendly.
Reply 23
bc they aint getting the attention from their man
Reply 24
because its really entertaining
Original post by simbasdragon
If she made out with you then that was certainly not 'just being friendly,' but obvious flirting. My being friendly to guys is often wrongfully perceived as me being flirtatious just because I laugh a lot regardless of who I'm talking to. As a rule of thumb, if there's any sexual touch from her, then she's flirting, if not, then chances are she's just being friendly.

Flirting doesn't require sexual touching though by it's very definition.... in most cases it is deemed via verbal or written methods.

'behave as though sexually attracted to someone, but playfully rather than with serious intentions.'

Flirting doesn't even require a concious realisation that the individual is flirting. Then you have social flirting where no actual intention of eventual sexual interest but has remarkably similar behaviour.

Personally I can tell the difference between flirty giggling and general laughing in most cases. But because of the realities of human perception, both guys and girls will get it wrong sometimes.
Reply 26
Because they can... And to get what they want :colondollar:
I genuinely told a guy who has a gf "no, nothing is going to happen, you have a gf who you picked over me, we've slept together before and I got hurt. The only people who stand to get hurt if I sleep with you again are me and your girlfriend and you just get away with being a dick". Later got accused of flirting and leading him on.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
I was going to say this.

Guys always mistake mere friendliness and being nice for flirting.

It's because it's so rare that we get any kind of female attention nowadays.

Guys get so used to being ignored and receiving no attention, when a female talks to us and shows any vague interest it's a completely new thing to deal with.
Original post by Don John
It's because it's so rare that we get any kind of female attention nowadays.

Guys get so used to being ignored and receiving no attention, when a female talks to us and shows any vague interest it's a completely new thing to deal with.

What??????
Original post by iEthan
What??????

What what?

On the other hand, the dangers and penalties for misinterpreting a female's advances, or lack thereof, are so incredibly harsh for guys nowadays (creep, weirdo, perv) that when it does happen, we do mostly assume it's mere friendliness.
(edited 7 years ago)
What what?

On the other hand, the dangers and penalties for misinterpreting a female's advances, or lack thereof, are so incredibly harsh for guys nowadays (creep, weirdo, perv) that when it does happen, we do have to assume it's mere friendliness.

I just think that what you said is utter, utter nonsense :rofl:

If we're living in a world where people can't decipher flirting from friendly conversation then god help us all. As for the "ignored" thing that you post about, that's also nonsense tbh. It seems like you're in the wrong company if you feel that way. Furthermore, if the person is decent and you misinterpret them, sure, it'll be a bit awkward but they should be able to get over it. I wouldn't call that being a creep. :sigh:
What what?

On the other hand, the dangers and penalties for misinterpreting a female's advances, or lack thereof, are so incredibly harsh for guys nowadays (creep, weirdo, perv) that when it does happen, we do mostly assume it's mere friendliness.

Which actually makes it incredibly hard when a girl is interested or flirting with you.... seeing we kind of 'have' to presume it's them being friendly otherwise we get labelled creeps, weirdo, pervs etc.

Then such girls complain about us not noticing all the sign or their attempt to flirt. Then it starts full circle again..... :lol:
The user name is legendary......

Answer

Because they want to make their freaking boyfriends jelous and want to create sexual tension between them and their man.

Quick Reply

Latest