Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

GCSE Geography B Edexcel

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hey guys,
    I was making notes for different case studies, and I noticed that some of the facts and figures that my teacher gave us in class is different from what is on the internet.

For example...
    My school says: In the Nyiragongo Volcanic Eruption in 2002, 100 people died
    Internet (on 2 sources): In the Nyiragongo Volcanic Eruption in 2002, 147 people died

and so I thought that maybe the information is different in different sources. I was wondering how precise and accurate do the examiners expect students to be for the facts and figures? Would they mark me down if I wrote 100 instead of 147? Do examiners actually check if the statistics are right?

(Original post by rayestar)
    Sorry that no one replied. Examiners don't care, my teacher said if a statistic looks decent then it will get ticked. Im doing edexcel B aswell.

In the Nepal earthquake >8,000 people died as a result
    If you said 7,000 to 10,000 they wouldn't give the statistic a second look
    However, since the earthquake is popular if you said less than 1000 you would probably lose marks

In your case it doesn't really matter if you write 100 or 147. I would write an estimated 123 people if I was really that worried.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.