The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

The Courtrooms or Orchatd Heights ?? Please HELP !!

I really can't decide which one to choose. They both seem nice and are very similar in many ways but I don't know what they look like inside. Can you help me make my mind up please ?
Reply 1
Original post by KTaghizada
I really can't decide which one to choose. They both seem nice and are very similar in many ways but I don't know what they look like inside. Can you help me make my mind up please ?

The accom website has photos and recent videos of all the insides for both?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Original post by Inazuma
The accom website has photos and recent videos of all the insides for both?

Photos don't always tell the truth, they choose the best room and take a photo from an angle that makes it look bigger.
I found the videos helpful but unfortunately unlike the courtrooms, orchard heights hasn't got a video.
Reply 3
Photos don't always tell the truth, they choose the best room and take a photo from an angle that makes it look bigger.
I found the videos helpful but unfortunately unlike the courtrooms, orchard heights hasn't got a video.

That is very true, though they do give some idea.

Not many people on these forums who've lived there (only one I've seen).

They were in The Courtrooms and they said:

(By @Tash28)

I'm in the Courtrooms this year and there has been a lot of disruption from building works in the streets. I haven't heard of anyone having a leak but that's not to say there haven't been any. I have found the staff incredibly helpful and nice, there's maintenance people on call 24/7 which is great and they are all super lovely too.

I have only visited OH a few times but it is much bigger than TC and the bedrooms are a bit smaller and everything feels a lot darker as most rooms face into an internal courtyard. People still seem to mostly like it though.

Let me know if I can help any more

^from P31 of accommodation thread. Unfortunately didn't reply since I don't think.
I live in Orchard Heights this year.
From what I've heard, OH and CR are both quite quiet halls, but the Courtrooms is renowned for being the most dull of the two.
CR seems like it has nicer rooms though- plus you get a TV in the kicthen!
But OH is closer to uni- takes me 8mins to get from my room to the lecture theatre, which is impressive for a non-campus uni.
Both accommodations attract a lot of international and mature students- 4/9 of people in my flat are international.
Overall, I would recommend OH over the courtrooms :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would say that my bedroom is quite small, however there is plenty of room for storage so it's not really a problem. The walls are grey which is a bit dull and drab but the White furniture/shelving is brightens it up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by yohollyyo
I live in Orchard Heights this year.
From what I've heard, OH and CR are both quite quiet halls, but the Courtrooms is renowned for being the most dull of the two.
CR seems like it has nicer rooms though- plus you get a TV in the kicthen!
But OH is closer to uni- takes me 8mins to get from my room to the lecture theatre, which is impressive for a non-campus uni.
Both accommodations attract a lot of international and mature students- 4/9 of people in my flat are international.
Overall, I would recommend OH over the courtrooms :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for the information.
Could you please answer the following questions ?
1. Does OH actually look the same as in the photos ?
2. Are the rooms bigger than the ones in CR ?
3. Are all the rooms the same or do some people get luckier than others ?
4. Is it true that the rooms are quite dark and do you get enough sunlight on your desk when you work ?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
1) I think that the pictures of the rooms are a good representation of reality.
2) I haven't been to The Courtrooms so I couldn't say.
3) My room is the normal size- there are no rooms smaller, although some people have lucked out and got a slightly bigger one. Although I see that this year there is an option to choose a large or standard room, so maybe it won't be down to luck anymore. I think the main way you luck out is what direction your window faces- some look out over the city and have a good view, others aren't quite so great.
4) This really depends on what specific room you're in. I face into the courtyard, which can be a bit claustrophobic, but it faces the sun most of the time so i don't have an issue with lack of sunlight. I imagine the rooms on the opposite side of the courtyard to me must be darker.
There's a nice large study area downstairs, which although has no windows, is nice and bright so it makes a good working environment.

I hope that helps, feel free to ask any more questions that you think of :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by yohollyyo
1) I think that the pictures of the rooms are a good representation of reality.
2) I haven't been to The Courtrooms so I couldn't say.
3) My room is the normal size- there are no rooms smaller, although some people have lucked out and got a slightly bigger one. Although I see that this year there is an option to choose a large or standard room, so maybe it won't be down to luck anymore. I think the main way you luck out is what direction your window faces- some look out over the city and have a good view, others aren't quite so great.
4) This really depends on what specific room you're in. I face into the courtyard, which can be a bit claustrophobic, but it faces the sun most of the time so i don't have an issue with lack of sunlight. I imagine the rooms on the opposite side of the courtyard to me must be darker.
There's a nice large study area downstairs, which although has no windows, is nice and bright so it makes a good working environment.

I hope that helps, feel free to ask any more questions that you think of :smile:

Thanks again :smile:

I just watched OH's video on the website. It seems like the social area is very big and OH has a courtyard. Do many people spend time in the social area ?
And also do you use the courtyard much or is it boring ?
Thanks again :smile:

I just watched OH's video on the website. It seems like the social area is very big and OH has a courtyard. Do many people spend time in the social area ?
And also do you use the courtyard much or is it boring ?

Hello!

Why not check us out by visiting The Courtrooms? You can arrange a viewing here - http://thestudenthousingcompany.com/arrange-a-viewing/. Don't worry if you can't make it in person - we also offer Skype viewings!

The Courtrooms Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending