The Student Room Group

Gap Year?

I've applied to university and I firmed Sussex thinking I will be studying media and communications for three years. I had a bit of a change of heart and decided to take a year out because I always hear negative things about studying that course and how it's pointless and a waste of money. Now I am on the fence about everything. I still have my university place but I am also considering a gap year to travel or to do an apprenticeship.
I really don't know what to do in the upcoming year :frown: how does one fund a gap year of travel anyway? and is it weird to travel alone? and are apprenticeships not what they appear to be? or should I just go straight to university? I know there are a lot of questions but I really am stuck.
Any help would be appreciated :smile:)
Many people fund gap years by 1) Using their parent's money or 2) Getting a part time job and saving up. There are ways you can travel cheaply. If that doesn't work you could always do those volunteer abroad programmes, which means travel and work experience! And remember, taking a gap year doesn't necessarily mean you need to travel.
Travelling alone is apparently better in a lot of cases, because no extra people means no arguments and no accountability.
Before you go to uni (if you do), whether now or later, you need to be sure about your course and location. No point wasting thousands of pounds on something you aren't sure of.
Whatever happens, you'll be fine 😊
Original post by theblackparade27
Many people fund gap years by 1) Using their parent's money or 2) Getting a part time job and saving up. There are ways you can travel cheaply. If that doesn't work you could always do those volunteer abroad programmes, which means travel and work experience! And remember, taking a gap year doesn't necessarily mean you need to travel.
Travelling alone is apparently better in a lot of cases, because no extra people means no arguments and no accountability.
Before you go to uni (if you do), whether now or later, you need to be sure about your course and location. No point wasting thousands of pounds on something you aren't sure of.
Whatever happens, you'll be fine 😊

I will look into those volunteer abroad programmes :h:
thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending