The Student Room Group

What are your views on Non-White migration into Europe?

Should Europe remain majority indigenous European or is Multiculturalization of the native population necessary in the name of progress?

No name calling please.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't let them in. Reason: our population is not Sustainable. We need to limit migration and have a 2 child policy so save our nhs and saving the housing crisis.
Original post by humanteaparty
Don't let them in. Reason: our population is not Sustainable. We need to limit migration and have a 2 child policy so save our nhs and saving the housing crisis.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME

you're a racist
Considering its uncontrolled, no. Don't let them in.

Spoiler

Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

Spoiler

I'll be the first one....Racist!

Spoiler

Original post by Mathemagicien
A 2 child policy? Do you know the average person has around 1.7 children in the UK; across Europe, it is around 1.5 children. Why is a 2 child policy necessary? Its the low birth rate which is the main reason behind mass immigration. Either Europeans have more children, accept more migrants, or cut pensions and benefits.

Immigrants have more children.
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper

Spoiler

I agree, people are too quick to brand others as racist for opposing something that is generally an economic and cultural matter.

In reply to OP:

Economically speaking, immigration is good for the country as immigrants do pay more tax in than they take out of the country. Perhaps the issue of taking money out could be addressed a little better, but either way it's a net gain.

Cultural integration is a bit more concerning, simply because there are many that do not try to integrate at all. This tends to come from the Islamic community (not always, before anyone accuses me of being Islamophobic, note 'TENDS'), who believe that religion should be above the rule of law. This certainly should not be the case, people shouldn't be discriminated against for practising their religion, but equally those who are religious should not be given special protection from criticism, and should try to actually participate in British/European culture more. This may actually make people more open to the idea of further immigration. Of course, hate speech in all of its forms should not be tolerated, but criticism of religion should not be stemmed.

And for these reasons I think immigration does need to be more controlled. It's not at all a matter of race, I couldn't care less what the proportions of race are in this country. As long as everyone who comes is willing to be a hard working citizen who respects the laws of the country, then they are welcome as far as I'm concerned regardless of whether they are white, black, Asian etc. It's the culture that they bring that needs to be scrutinised for how likely they are to integrate; obviously the vast majority of Muslims are not white so if this ends up reducing the numbers of non-whites coming into the country then so be it, it's expected that this would be the case simply due to geographic variance, as long as race is not the reason for them being rejected.
Reply 7
Original post by Μίλων
Multiculturalism is the Jewish agenda

Not Zionist but Jewish

Zionist has just been used a PC way of referring to Jews, but really Zionism was about creating and supporting Israel

But you need to look deep into who pushes this diversity is strength, tolerance.. none other than the intolerant Jews who have Israel for the Jews

Yes they are intolerant. They are not tolerant of people questioning how many actually died in their Holocaust. They are not tolerant of people who oppose what Israel does..

So they do it to destroy White European people. They took what they needed from us, and then stabbed us in the back. It was all plotted long before WW2 even happened. It's a tactic of genocide through intermixing that they promote.

Look at Labour, it was a Jewish oligarchy! Lord Levey, Lord Sugar... there's a huge list of them out there. They buy politics like no other people do..It's not as if there aren't any non-Jewish rich people. But the Jews are very good at using their enormous wealth of buying influence.

Sure just call it a conspiracy but I know it is true. They admit it. Go look up some videos about it on youtube.

Truly shocked
Original post by JRKinder
I agree, people are too quick to brand others as racist for opposing something that is generally an economic and cultural matter.

In reply to OP:

Economically speaking, immigration is good for the country as immigrants do pay more tax in than they take out of the country. Perhaps the issue of taking money out could be addressed a little better, but either way it's a net gain.

Cultural integration is a bit more concerning, simply because there are many that do not try to integrate at all. This tends to come from the Islamic community (not always, before anyone accuses me of being Islamophobic, note 'TENDS':wink:, who believe that religion should be above the rule of law. This certainly should not be the case, people shouldn't be discriminated against for practising their religion, but equally those who are religious should not be given special protection from criticism, and should try to actually participate in British/European culture more. This may actually make people more open to the idea of further immigration. Of course, hate speech in all of its forms should not be tolerated, but criticism of religion should not be stemmed.

And for these reasons I think immigration does need to be more controlled. It's not at all a matter of race, I couldn't care less what the proportions of race are in this country. As long as everyone who comes is willing to be a hard working citizen who respects the laws of the country, then they are welcome as far as I'm concerned regardless of whether they are white, black, Asian etc. It's the culture that they bring that needs to be scrutinised for how likely they are to integrate; obviously the vast majority of Muslims are not white so if this ends up reducing the numbers of non-whites coming into the country then so be it, it's expected that this would be the case simply due to geographic variance, as long as race is not the reason for them being rejected.

Immigration costs the country money. The so-called studies that show that they put in more than they take out always exclude a large amount of expenses, skewing the results. Furthermore, when put under the common sense test, they also fail, as the numbers that they show don't stand up to scrutiny, especially when combined with other statistics showing the actual jobs that most migrants perform / unemployment rates among migrants / 2nd generation migrants (which are not classed as migrants).
Original post by The_Opinion
Immigration costs the country money. The so-called studies that show that they put in more than they take out always exclude a large amount of expenses, skewing the results. Furthermore, when put under the common sense test, they also fail, as the numbers that they show don't stand up to scrutiny, especially when combined with other statistics showing the actual jobs that most migrants perform / unemployment rates among migrants / 2nd generation migrants (which are not classed as migrants).
Could you try and provide some statistics? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've seen studies which indicate immigration can have both a positive and negative impact, so I imagine it depends on the type of immigration being considered and the bias of the source.

I think it's pretty doubtless that highly skilled workers who come in and do degree level jobs, such as in the finance or technology industry, do have a net benefit. And you have to take into account that few British people are willing to perform some low-skill jobs, which many from Eastern Europe take on, many of which are responsible for keeping the country in working order. It's alright to imagine a country where everyone works in law, business, engineering etc, but without builders, bus drivers and the like, the country simply could not function. Arguably this has kept wages down though, but if wages were to rise too much then small businesses would struggle to pay them.

Although I think that the benefits that they can receive should be curbed significantly, requiring residence for a good number of years before they can be recieved and sent back to the workers' home countries. I don't blame immigrants from Eastern Europe for claiming them, as I would if I were in their position, but it is a flaw in the system which needs to be rectified.

I wasn't aware there was a consensus on this, the jury is very much out on this one. Keep in mind he is obviously speaking about immigration from Africa and the ME, not migration from other European countries and most likely not about migration from China
In dire times of crisis there has to be somewhere for refugees to go. However I feel that people would care more about the refugee crisis if the refugees were white and Christian.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Not all immigrant groups. Chinese, Indians, for example, have fewer. It depends more on religion and education level than origin.

Vast majority of immgrants have lots of kids well I've seen it my area and the amount of new primary schools appearing everywhere is just shocking I remember
my area had just 1 primary school now there are more than 3 to cope with the number of children
(edited 7 years ago)
I have absolutely nothing against non-white immigration to UK. (as long as they pass CRB and are demonstrably skilled workers)
However, I do have a problem with any further muslim immigration to UK.
Original post by HanSoloLuck
I wasn't aware there was a consensus on this, the jury is very much out on this one. Keep in mind he is obviously speaking about immigration from Africa and the ME, not migration from other European countries and most likely not about migration from China
As far as I'm aware the study that I got that from (can't for the life of me remember what it was called, I think it was a BBC study on TV or something?) was focused on European migration, obviously with the whole EU debate being at the forefront of the news at the minute. As for African and Middle Eastern migration, I am much more opposed to that as, due to the lower levels of wealth in their home countries, they are probably more likely to send a significant portion of their wages back which would have a negative impact on us. Also, as I mentioned above there is a huge cultural difference which must also be taken into consideration.
It's not the pigmentation that's the issue.

It's the backwards cultural views that bother me.
Original post by AxSirlotl
In dire times of crisis there has to be somewhere for refugees to go. However I feel that people would care more about the refugee crisis if the refugees were white and Christian.
I agree that we should help them, but that it should be done by giving funds to the countries surrounding Syria, rather than encouraging them to come here. Not only is the trip dangerous for them, but Europe isn't in a spectacular financial position at the minute so taking in millions of refugees is only going to exacerbate the problem.

If they were white Christians then they probably would integrate better, but of course that isn't a reason to turn our backs on the refugees. What does bug me though, is the sense of entitlement that some of them exhibit. They walk through countless safe countries on the way to places like Germany and Sweden which, by international law, they should claim asylum in. Then they have the nerve to claim that erecting border fences is violating their rights, despite them standing in a perfectly safe country even as they complain to the media. And, as a final middle finger to Europe, some of them completely disrespect the laws of the land and attack young women, steal from shops etc, it's just biting the hand that feeds them. Many have little respect for the immense burden that is being placed upon Europe to suddenly take care of over a million new people.

Of course, most migrants do not do this, which is why it's sad that a minority of them can tarnish the refugee status. But it does seem to be a significant minority, which is concerning to say the least. Overall, we should try to help in as many ways as we can, but I don't think that openly inviting them to live in Europe was the smartest thing that Angela Merkel could have done.
Could you try and provide some statistics? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I've seen studies which indicate immigration can have both a positive and negative impact, so I imagine it depends on the type of immigration being considered and the bias of the source.

I think it's pretty doubtless that highly skilled workers who come in and do degree level jobs, such as in the finance or technology industry, do have a net benefit. And you have to take into account that few British people are willing to perform some low-skill jobs, which many from Eastern Europe take on, many of which are responsible for keeping the country in working order. It's alright to imagine a country where everyone works in law, business, engineering etc, but without builders, bus drivers and the like, the country simply could not function. Arguably this has kept wages down though, but if wages were to rise too much then small businesses would struggle to pay them.

Although I think that the benefits that they can receive should be curbed significantly, requiring residence for a good number of years before they can be recieved and sent back to the workers' home countries. I don't blame immigrants from Eastern Europe for claiming them, as I would if I were in their position, but it is a flaw in the system which needs to be rectified.

For example, the so-called studies that claim that migrants pay more in usually don't include the cost of crime. Additionally, considering that the vast majority of Muslim women do not work (especially those form certain countries), the idea that migrants pay more in falls apart.

Also, don't use the mean / average for these figures, you should focus on the modal income of migrants. One premier league footballer who migrated here for pay so much in tax that it will cover the losses of a hundred migrants. That doesn't mean that the migrants are good for the economy, it just mean that 1 of them is paying in more money, the other hundred are draining the system (that is just a basic example).
I agree that we should help them, but that it should be done by giving funds to the countries surrounding Syria, rather than encouraging them to come here. Not only is the trip dangerous for them, but Europe isn't in a spectacular financial position at the minute so taking in millions of refugees is only going to exacerbate the problem.

If they were white Christians then they probably would integrate better, but of course that isn't a reason to turn our backs on the refugees. What does bug me though, is the sense of entitlement that some of them exhibit. They walk through countless safe countries on the way to places like Germany and Sweden which, by international law, they should claim asylum in. Then they have the nerve to claim that erecting border fences is violating their rights, despite them standing in a perfectly safe country even as they complain to the media. And, as a final middle finger to Europe, some of them completely disrespect the laws of the land and attack young women, steal from shops etc, it's just biting the hand that feeds them. Many have little respect for the immense burden that is being placed upon Europe to suddenly take care of over a million new people.

Of course, most migrants do not do this, which is why it's sad that a minority of them can tarnish the refugee status. But it does seem to be a significant minority, which is concerning to say the least. Overall, we should try to help in as many ways as we can, but I don't think that openly inviting them to live in Europe was the smartest thing that Angela Merkel could have done.

I do agree with you that we should help the countries surrounding Syria but we also have to take some of the burden as relying entirely on weaker and less stable countries like Lebanon to take hundreds of thousands of refugees could cause even more problems. I disagree with completely open immigration but I also disagree with preventing refugees in. Just like with any citizen, refugees who violate the law of their new country should be punished or deported.
Original post by The_Opinion
For example, the so-called studies that claim that migrants pay more in usually don't include the cost of crime. Additionally, considering that the vast majority of Muslim women do not work (especially those form certain countries), the idea that migrants pay more in falls apart.

Also, don't use the mean / average for these figures, you should focus on the modal income of migrants. One premier league footballer who migrated here for pay so much in tax that it will cover the losses of a hundred migrants. That doesn't mean that the migrants are good for the economy, it just mean that 1 of them is paying in more money, the other hundred are draining the system (that is just a basic example).
You do make some fair points there, particularly at the end with the distorted picture that high earners can present. I think I'd have to look into the issue in a bit more detail before coming to a final verdict, but the best policy is probably to target specific groups, preventing expenditure from leaving the country for a certain period of time, not allowing benefits for this time period, and also giving the Home Office the right to force people to leave if they are not economically contributing. I think it does affect certain groups more than others though, most likely Middle Eastern people due to religious household roles (in some cases) and some Eastern Europeans. Enforcing such changes may be slightly more difficult than simply proposing them, however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending