The Student Room Group

Told that I cannot take exam in a separate room

I was confronted by a teacher of my school recently that I would not be able to take my exams in another room, I have an anxiety issue which makes it uncomfortable in the exam.
The reason I couldn't take my exams in a separate room was because they didn't have time/they didn't have enough teachers.
If I showed a medical certificate would they have to let me sit my exams in a room alone/with a few others?

Original post by hellomynamesis
I was confronted by a teacher of my school recently that I would not be able to take my exams in another room, I have an anxiety issue which makes it uncomfortable in the exam.The reason I couldn't take my exams in a separate room was because they didn't have time/they didn't have enough teachers.If I showed a medical certificate would they have to let me sit my exams in a room alone/with a few others?Thanks : - )

they should let you sit your exams in different room... make your parents talk to the head teacher, that way they will take it seriously :h:
:goodluck:
Reply 2
Aren't you leaving it a bit late to trying to get special conditions sorted?

Schools do plan for exams a bit more than a few days before they happen.
Original post by Pigster

yep, i actually thought they had arranged for it though because a few months back one of the support teachers asked if i wanted to sit the exam in another room and she said she'd sort it out, so i'm kinda disappointed with that
"As a disabled person in the UK, you have rights to protect you from discrimination. These rights cover most areas including employment, education, dealing with the police and more.The Equality Act 2010 and the United Nations (UN) Convention on disability rights help to enforce, protect and promote these rights."

Hi :smile:

I think the best thing to try and do now is to try and negotiate. You can go to your parents / the headmaster / the teacher / examinations officer and explain the situation:

- that a teacher did tell you that you could write your examination in another room

- that you have a certificate to prove why you need seperate invigilation and / or other measures that would help you to gain an equal chance of writing the examinations in a situation that does not unnecessarily cause you discomfort and anxiety when something can and should be done about it

* In the future is is helpful to remember that for your own protection against situations like these getting your Special Requirements forms approved through official measures beforehand and their approval / rejection of these in writing is always a good idea to be able to advocate for yourself as much as you can. I fully understand that this situation was different and that you were under the impression that the situation was already handled and that you would be allowed to write your exams in a seperate room.

"UK schools, colleges and universities are legally required not to discriminate against disabled students, and not to treat them less favourably than students without a disability.Under the Equality Act 2010, all universities and colleges also have a duty to make reasonable adjustments to their services, so disabled students are not placed at a substantial disadvantage. These laws apply to international students as well as to students who are UK citizens."

I am quoting as if you are a student in the UK but know that in most countries (not all, though) there are laws specifically for the protection of people who have disabilities (mental / physical)
to allow them to recieve fair treatment.

Speak to someone and see what you can do. Remember that while there is stigma, and a lot of it, you don't have to allow that to get in the way of your education. Best of luck! I know its hard sometimes to have to deal with these things on top of having anxiety and examinations, but you can do it! Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Ah, thank you a lot, that's very helpful. I've sent it to my mother and hopefully she'll be able to get in touch with the school : -
Most schools tend to have to prove that the individual had special considerations throughout their schooling in order to qualify you for special considerations during real exams. This is why the fact that it is late may be an issue. Normally, they would document any special considerations you had as proof. Good luck.
Original post by Pigster

No it's not too late, but then I guess it depends on the school. I went to my officer 5 days before sitting 2 of my A2 exams with a request for special consideration, and was given the option to sit alone in a room :tongue:
Reply 8
I was confronted by a teacher of my school recently that I would not be able to take my exams in another room, I have an anxiety issue which makes it uncomfortable in the exam.
The reason I couldn't take my exams in a separate room was because they didn't have time/they didn't have enough teachers.
If I showed a medical certificate would they have to let me sit my exams in a room alone/with a few others?

The rules are very clear (and have been tightened up this year) about providing separate invigilation as an access arrangement (special consideration is something completely different and couldn't apply to this). .They say that candidates are only entitled to separate invigilation if they are disabled within the meaning of the Equality Act....... In the case of separate invigilation, the candidate’s difficulties are established within the centre.....Separate invigilation reflects the candidate’s normal way of working in internal school tests and mock examinations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9

If you have a certificate then yes they have to invigilate you separately, or one of I think 4 other possibilities

Quick Reply

Latest