The Student Room Group

How can getting 60% of a paper right be an 'A' for biology unit 1 AQA?

I just did a core practice paper and got 37/60, I checked the grade boundaries, and 36 is an A. How come the grade boundaries are so low? It's only 44 marks to get an A*?

Scroll to see replies

it depends on how hard that paper was aswell, they take that into consideration too
and i see where you are coming from, because 60% is usually a C
Reply 3
That does seem rather ridiculous...
Original post by jupitersly
I just did a core practice paper and got 37/60, I checked the grade boundaries, and 36 is an A. How come the grade boundaries are so low? It's only 44 marks to get an A*?

I find that if it's a hard paper the boundaries are low and if it's an easy paper the boundaries are high ...
Reply 5
Original post by Emily.rafferty
I find that if it's a hard paper the boundaries are low and if it's an easy paper the boundaries are high ...

thanks! me too, it just seems too low... i'm not complaining i just think it's a bit ridiculous aha c:
Reply 6
Original post by samina_ay
it depends on how hard that paper was aswell, they take that into consideration too

i know it's crazy, i genuinely thought i'd done rubbish...
Reply 7
Original post by Harrykel
That does seem rather ridiculous...

right?
Reply 8
I think the grade boundaries for all subjects are really low... Glad they have the new 9-1 system for that, because someone who gets 58/60 say, will get more credit than someone who get 44/60.

right?
2010 biology 4 AQA a2 paper was 39/75 for an A* so 52%. It all depends on the difficulty of the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you I tried a unit 3 paper and got an A on it with only 38/60 and I was thinking I got a low B or a high C before checking those grade boundaries out. AQA Science is a joke and easy.
Reply 11
MTE. I did a paper and got around 38 and i thought it would be a B. Im not complaining though :biggrin: it will be so easy to get an A*/A if they keep the grade boundaries around the same
Grade boundaries - depends on how everyone else does on the paper

Not that I'm complaining :cookie:
Reply 13
Original post by Harrykel
I think the grade boundaries for all subjects are really low... Glad they have the new 9-1 system for that, because someone who gets 58/60 say, will get more credit than someone who get 44/60.

true, true, it is really low and i agree with the new 9-1. i don't like the fact that they move the grade boundaries up and down as they see fit, because what you could have got is not what you have now. They should have set marks I think for a certain amount of years or something like that, rather that move it up and down depending on how the whole county had done.
Reply 14
Original post by Sacred Ground
2010 biology 4 AQA a2 paper was 39/75 for an A* so 52%. It all depends on the difficulty of the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

that's just crazy what the hell? that's only 52%? so that means the majority must have found it ridiculously hard...
It all depends on the difficulty of the paper/how well everyone does on the paper across the country. I think it's stupid though - like one paper I did it was under 50% to get an A* !! If people are struggling surely they should just make the papers easier ?:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by s.mo
MTE. I did a paper and got around 38 and i thought it would be a B. Im not complaining though :biggrin: it will be so easy to get an A*/A if they keep the grade boundaries around the same

it will be easy if it stays the same. but i have a feeling that because this is the official last year for this type A*-U thing, they'll do something harder or something crazy
I'm not complaining :biggrin:

Spoiler

Reply 18
Original post by asdfghjklgcses
It all depends on the difficulty of the paper/how well everyone does on the paper across the country. I think it's stupid though - like one paper I did it was under 50% to get an A* !! If people are struggling surely they should just make the papers easier ?:s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES! it's so crazy and yet other subject you have to get well over 80%++ to even touch an A. Then if they make it easier, that means the whole grade boundaries will go up. It's like an endless cycle.
Reply 19
Original post by surina16
I'm not complaining :biggrin:

Spoiler

ngl i feel like we're all jinxing it, so all the grade boundaries just go up this year:afraid:

Quick Reply

Latest