The Student Room Group

why are there people who believe vaccines are bad?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SophieSmall
You're joking...right?

No, I'm serious.
Original post by democracyforum
they have mercury in them and are tainted

raising vitamin D may work better in some children, never get the vaccination

Are you for real? Or just rather stupid - evidence shows that vaccinations work and countless lives have been saved. By not getting vaccinations you are potentially condemning a child to dreadful diseases - you just need to see a child with polio once in your life to see how bad it can be.
Original post by FrothyGash
They are right. How is injecting yourself with the disease going to help?

The immune system detects the antigens on that particular pathogen. B-lymphocytes produce the specific antibody and its memory cells for that particular pathogen. The next time you're infected with that pathogen, you'll produce a much quicker secondary immune response because the memory cells to produce the specific antibody already exist in your blood. Since your immune system can respond quicker, it eliminates the infection before it causes any damage, or before you even show symptoms. It's honestly not that complicated.

This is what I really, really don't understand. You don't have a basic understanding of the immune system and you've decided that every doctor in the world is wrong. How can you be so arrogant? Why would you think that just because you can't understand something, with your incredibly limited knowledge, it must be wrong? Like, do you deny that we've sent probes into space because you don't know how jet propulsion works? Do you deny that the Earth is round because you've never got your sextants out and done the measurements?

People that refuse to vaccinate their kids (other than for legitimate medical reasons) should have them taken away. Alternatively they should be charged with neglect if their child ends up with a disease they could've been vaccinated for, or manslaughter when their child introduces the disease to some poor kid with an immune disorder that couldn't get the vaccine. Ignorance shouldn't be a defence for killing kids.
(edited 7 years ago)
They are right. How is injecting yourself with the disease going to help?

I have had several vaccines in the last weeks, and will have a few more.

And I feel better than ever :biggrin:

ps if that is actually a genuine question, then a) read up on it and b) you have just proven why people are against vaccines, they are either scientifically illiterate and/or stupid.
Original post by Maker
Its natural selection. Stupid people don't vaccinate their kids, they get serious disease and dies or suffers complications like brain damage and reduces the pool of stupid people that can reproduce.

My kids that are vaccinated don't get the diseases and is at an advantage when it comes to finding a mate.

You sir are my hero of today :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 25
People haven't seen the effects of measles or mumps for years so they get complacent and the risks recedes in peoples' minds.

But just one or two cases and people rush to get their kids vaccinated like in Wales a few years ago. Its funny those people who says you can cure these diseases with garlic and herbs suddenly find vaccines are great after all.
Original post by Maker
People haven't seen the effects of measles or mumps for years so they get complacent and the risks recedes in peoples' minds.

But just one or two cases and people rush to get their kids vaccinated like in Wales a few years ago. Its funny those people who says you can cure these diseases with garlic and herbs suddenly find vaccines are great after all.

Slightly off topic, but have you read about the parents (in Canada I think?) who took their kids to a naturopath, and the naturopath told them to take him to a doctor ASAP and they didn't do it? It turned out the kid had meningitis I think, and he died. After all that they insisted they did nothing wrong.

Some people are just too stupid.
Reply 27
Original post by brainhuman
You sir are my hero of today :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I don't mean to sound harsh but people are so divorced from the effects of these serious diseases that they think it will never happen to them.

I know how dreadful these diseases can be because my cousin has been paralysed with polio from a young age and has had a devastating effect on his life and his family. He missed the introduction of the polio vaccine by just a few years.
(edited 7 years ago)
Guys, what can we learn from the ebola outbreak of 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Neurology

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone in Africa has autism now.

(I'll point out that this is sarcastic because there are some loonies that would actually take this as confirmation of their beliefs)
Original post by Maker
I don't mean to sound harsh but people are so divorced from the effects of these serious diseases that they think it will never happen to them.

I know how dreadful these diseases can be because my cousin has been paralysed with polio from a young age and has had a devastating effect on his life and his family. He missed the introduction of the polio vaccine by just a few years.

Oh, but personally I like not just sounding harsh but being harsh. Human beings are stupid. And this is just another manifestation of that.
It's because of the worst people in the human race; ignorant people.
Original post by brainhuman
Oh, but personally I like not just sounding harsh but being harsh. Human beings are stupid. And this is just another manifestation of that.

I think the world might be a better place if more people were brutally honest. People are entitled to their opinions or whatever, but when your opinion leads you to use your children as an incubator for diseases that should be extinct, someone needs to slap some sense into you.
Original post by JordanL_
I think the world might be a better place if more people were brutally honest. People are entitled to their opinions or whatever, but when your opinion leads you to use your children as an incubator for diseases that should be extinct, someone needs to slap some sense into you.

Exactly. I have been accused of being on the left on TSR, and it is true, but the moment you close your eyes to problems, is when those problems turn into bigger problems. And sadly that is what is going on.
No, I'm serious.

When you've had a disease, you can't have the same disease again because your body is able to produce antibodies to combat it very effectively. A vaccine is a a harmless version of a certain disease that still prompts your body to make antibodies for the real thing, preventing you from ever getting that disease.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JordanL_
The immune system detects the antigens on that particular pathogen. B-lymphocytes produce the specific antibody and its memory cells for that particular pathogen. The next time you're infected with that pathogen, you'll produce a much quicker secondary immune response because the memory cells to produce the specific antibody already exist in your blood. Since your immune system can respond quicker, it eliminates the infection before it causes any damage, or before you even show symptoms. It's honestly not that complicated.

This is what I really, really don't understand. You don't have a basic understanding of the immune system and you've decided that every doctor in the world is wrong. How can you be so arrogant? Why would you think that just because you can't understand something, with your incredibly limited knowledge, it must be wrong? Like, do you deny that we've sent probes into space because you don't know how jet propulsion works? Do you deny that the Earth is round because you've never got your sextants out and done the measurements?

People that refuse to vaccinate their kids (other than for legitimate medical reasons) should have them taken away. Alternatively they should be charged with neglect if their child ends up with a disease they could've been vaccinated for, or manslaughter when their child introduces the disease to some poor kid with an immune disorder that couldn't get the vaccine. Ignorance shouldn't be a defence for killing kids.

"You have already rated a post from this user recently!"
People who don't 'believe' in vaccines tend to be ignorant of the facts and rely on bogus and flawed ideas to reach a judgement. There is no rational excuse for being against vaccinations.
No, I'm serious.

Then educate yourself on the immune system.
Original post by Gwilym101
Then educate yourself on the immune system.

Nah thanks I'm good
Original post by Neurology

Ebola can be bad for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending