The Student Room Group

2016 edexcel gcse maths paper

So I just did the 2015 edexcel mathss paper and found it really hard.. does that mean its going to be hard for the 2016 paper or easier??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's predicted that 2016 will be harder as it's the last GCSE until the new scheme. I suggest using OnMaths for some revision as they have predicted what will come up in this year's paper and made tests from it.
Nobody knows, not even the people that wrote the paper. Stop worrying about things you cant control and focus on the things you can do to be prepared
Reply 3
Considering the amount of people who complained about last years, I don't think they'll make it as hard . **** Hannah and her sweets, and **** Karl and his £10 for charity... useless :congrats:
Original post by Planetes
It's predicted that 2016 will be harder as it's the last GCSE until the new scheme. I suggest using OnMaths for some revision as they have predicted what will come up in this year's paper and made tests from it.

This "OnMaths" site looks really good, thanks for sharing! :smile:
im doing my gcse maths too :frown:
i found this predicted paper i found it very helpful:smile:

http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/resources.html
Reply 6
Original post by samb1234
Nobody knows, not even the people that wrote the paper. Stop worrying about things you cant control and focus on the things you can do to be prepared

Very True. thankyou
It will probably be harder.
1) they always try to make it incrementally harder because they think they are slowly 'raising standards.'
2) as another user said: it's the last one before the new GCSE so they will make it difficult to deter schools from entering loads of year 10s to sneak them through before the newer GCSE comes in.
Original post by Anon07079191
2) as another user said: it's the last one before the new GCSE so they will make it difficult to deter schools from entering loads of year 10s to sneak them through before the newer GCSE comes in.

ohhhhh so that's why everyone is saying this year will be the hardest yet, so that schools don't enter younger kids too early? But how is that the exam boards problem, why does it matter who takes the exam?
Original post by romansholiday
ohhhhh so that's why everyone is saying this year will be the hardest yet, so that schools don't enter younger kids too early? But how is that the exam boards problem, why does it matter who takes the exam?

Possibly under instruction from DFE. Might also be a concern with revenue & workload... If too many enter this year then they may not have the resources to process all papers and similarly there may be less entries the following year leading to a lack of income. That's just me speculating though. Exam boards do often tend to make their exams as easy as they are allowed to as they want schools to use them and hence they make more money but there papers need to be checked and accepted by OFQUAL.
last years paper wasn't hard at all. One question doesn't make a paper hard lol
Possibly under instruction from DFE. Might also be a concern with revenue & workload... If too many enter this year then they may not have the resources to process all papers and similarly there may be less entries the following year leading to a lack of income. That's just me speculating though. Exam boards do often tend to make their exams as easy as they are allowed to as they want schools to use them and hence they make more money but there papers need to be checked and accepted by OFQUAL.

It just seems shady idk. It seems unfair that the papers are getting harder, yet the grade boundaries are still going up. And don't even get me started on the new GCSEs. They're just unfair, and I feel sorry for those, like my sister, who have to take them :s-smilie:

well said my man. Theres no point focusing on the test, focus on your reivison so you don't have to worry about the test.
It just seems shady idk. It seems unfair that the papers are getting harder, yet the grade boundaries are still going up. And don't even get me started on the new GCSEs. They're just unfair, and I feel sorry for those, like my sister, who have to take them :s-smilie:

The concept behind making things more difficult is to force standards up. The new GCSE follows the same concept: If you need to do more to get the required grade then you will do it and, hence, be a more capable thinker/mathematician at the end of it. I was a Maths teacher for close to 2 years and I'm torn about the new GCSE. Part of me likes it because I taught a lot of students who couldn't care less about maths and just wanted to get a C and never do maths again. This penalises those types of students quite a bit. I also taught students who gave up very easily and had no determination to solve problems. Problem solving is key for the new GCSE, so again, I'm kind of pleased about this! Having said that, if I was still teaching it I'd probably be complaining!

the new gcse's aren't even that hard. All you got to do is learn the new topics and thats basically it
The concept behind making things more difficult is to force standards up. The new GCSE follows the same concept: If you need to do more to get the required grade then you will do it and, hence, be a more capable thinker/mathematician at the end of it. I was a Maths teacher for close to 2 years and I'm torn about the new GCSE. Part of me likes it because I taught a lot of students who couldn't care less about maths and just wanted to get a C and never do maths again. This penalises those types of students quite a bit. I also taught students who gave up very easily and had no determination to solve problems. Problem solving is key for the new GCSE, so again, I'm kind of pleased about this! Having said that, if I was still teaching it I'd probably be complaining!

I see your point of view, and I agree that so many really bright and capable kids in my classes just don't try. I'm not sure how much Maths is changing (except I know they won't be getting the formula sheet thing) so maybe it's not such a big deal with Maths. But with a subject like English, that WILL be unnecessarily difficult. Memorising quotes from a novel? Really? They're forced to do this at the end of the day, it's not like they chose to do this at A Level. They're making GCSEs into more of a memory test than it already is :s-smilie: Also, teachers will have to remake all their resources, what a nightmare.
I see your point of view, and I agree that so many really bright and capable kids in my classes just don't try. I'm not sure how much Maths is changing (except I know they won't be getting the formula sheet thing) so maybe it's not such a big deal with Maths. But with a subject like English, that WILL be unnecessarily difficult. Memorising quotes from a novel? Really? They're forced to do this at the end of the day, it's not like they chose to do this at A Level. They're making GCSEs into more of a memory test than it already is :s-smilie: Also, teachers will have to remake all their resources, what a nightmare.

Yeah you have to learn a lot of formulae for the new maths. Although in fairness, if you revise enough you tend to know them even without needing to, so this may bit be massively different for people who practice a lot. The memory element, though, is something which I cannot see the logic in- in reality as long as you can use formulae that's all that matters.
The main differences in maths will be the style of questions. At the moment they tend to lead you through the question and give you everything you need. The new questions won't guide you as much, they will trick you by giving info you don't need and you may have to do extra things to find the info you need to do the calculations. There are also more difficult topics included- things that used to be in AS Maths have dropped down into GCSE and and Higher tier stuff has been pushed into foundation.

Please can you help me with my GCSEs options on my account
Yeah you have to learn a lot of formulae for the new maths. Although in fairness, if you revise enough you tend to know them even without needing to, so this may bit be massively different for people who practice a lot. The memory element, though, is something which I cannot see the logic in- in reality as long as you can use formulae that's all that matters.
The main differences in maths will be the style of questions. At the moment they tend to lead you through the question and give you everything you need. The new questions won't guide you as much, they will trick you by giving info you don't need and you may have to do extra things to find the info you need to do the calculations. There are also more difficult topics included- things that used to be in AS Maths have dropped down into GCSE and and Higher tier stuff has been pushed into foundation.

Sounds difficult! I can hardly do some of the A* stuff in the current ones, so I have no idea how I'd do if I was doing the new GCSE. By the way, I'm getting very high solid Bs at the moment and I want to push them up to As within the next few weeks... Do you have any advice on how I could do this? :s-smilie:
Original post by Harrykel
Considering the amount of people who complained about last years, I don't think they'll make it as hard . **** Hannah and her sweets, and **** Karl and his £10 for charity... useless :congrats:

I fudging hope so!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending