Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do cast iron engines need to be machined during a head gasket replacement ?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I have a 2006 mk2 Ford Focus Sport 1.8 TDCI

    Several months ago a hose came off and the car overheated for about 10 - 15 minutes.
    After replacing the hose all was well for about 3 months, but then I notice it is loosing about 1 cup full of water per week but there are no other symptoms of head gasket failure , no oil/water mix, no obvious power loss, no smoke .e.t.c.

    A chemical test revealed bad head gasket but am just wondering if that was from old contaminants from when the head gasket went last time.

    So I'm planning on having the head gasket replaced, I was told by a mechanic friend that

    A. - Because my car engine is cast iron the only machine work it will need is a head skim

    B - He said if the block was cracked e.t.c. then my car would be overheating now, which it's not doing.

    however, a different mechanic friend told me it would need the whole block pressure tested as well ?

    which is true ?

Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.