The Student Room Group

Bacha Bazi culture in... Pakistan?

[video="youtube;BtLtrT_wA0M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtLtrT_wA0M[/video]
Wow, I just watched a documentary on Bacha Bazi in Afghanistan and never knew a thing like that existed, but thinking about it, Afghanistan men are very limited in contact with women I guess, very limited. The thing is with Pakistan being a bit more 'open' and more 'liberal'

I'd never thought such a thing existed until I saw this..It weirds me out, in Afghanistan it's seen as normal, I just can't imagine a boy or girl so young having to do this kind of stuff, but I never knew a problem existed in Pakistan either. How prominent is it, I never ever heard of it till now probably because I'm from a Middle Class family back home, it saddens me greatly.
(edited 7 years ago)
I never even knew until now, I swear it was hard to watch, I really respect that social worker though, I watched the whole thing, guys brother is one big _____ ,
shocking
Original post by dna122
The thing is with Pakistan being a bit more 'open' and more 'liberal'

Pakistan? Open? Liberal? :toofunny:

It's a morbid example of what happens in societies that make a virtue out of extreme sexual repression. :moon:
Original post by Hydeman
Pakistan? Open? Liberal? :toofunny:

It's a morbid example of what happens in societies that make a virtue out of extreme sexual repression. :moon:

Middle and upper class are quite liberal. You should see Islamabad.
Reply 5
Original post by dna122
[video="youtube;BtLtrT_wA0M"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtLtrT_wA0M[/video]
Wow, I just watched a documentary on Bacha Bazi in Afghanistan and never knew a thing like that existed, but thinking about it, Afghanistan men are very limited in contact with women I guess, very limited. The thing is with Pakistan being a bit more 'open' and more 'liberal'

I'd never thought such a thing existed until I saw this..It weirds me out, in Afghanistan it's seen as normal, I just can't imagine a boy or girl so young having to do this kind of stuff, but I never knew a problem existed in Pakistan either. How prominent is it, I never ever heard of it till now probably because I'm from a Middle Class family back home, it saddens me greatly.

It is not a normal thing in Afghanistan. People are against it. Those who probably do it are the rich and people with no morals who do not know how to spend their time. On top they do it hidden. So please don't say it is "normal".

And you must be highly mistaken if you think that these men do this because of "low contact with women". The majority of men in Afghanistan who do it have wives and even can get one anytime...but they say stuff like wife is for the poor loool. Like people like this have no good values. They don't even care, know or respect let alone practice islam.

Do not think Afghans like things like this. Just some minority group are sinning does not mean you should generalise. I am sure it does not just happen there too.

May Allah guide these people and us all.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Paktriot
Middle and upper class are quite liberal. You should see Islamabad.

I can only imagine that you mean liberal relative to the rural areas, because even people from Islamabad are not 'liberal' in the sense in which the word is usually used. :holmes:

Original post by h333
It is not a normal thing in Afghanistan. People are against it. Those who probably do it are the rich and people with no morals who do not know how to spend their time. On top they do it hidden. So please don't say it is "normal".

I think he was referring to the fact that almost nothing is done to stop the practice, and that it's even taboo to talk about it. I don't see what's wrong with using the word 'normal' if a society knowingly tolerates such a practice.
Reply 7
Original post by Hydeman
I can only imagine that you mean liberal relative to the rural areas, because even people from Islamabad are not 'liberal' in the sense in which the word is usually used. :holmes:

I think he was referring to the fact that almost nothing is done to stop the practice, and that it's even taboo to talk about it. I don't see what's wrong with using the word 'normal' if a society knowingly tolerates such a practice.

Yeah I agree that not enough is being done to stop it and government needs to act more severely. But it is not accepted in the society that is reason why when done by those individuals they keep it hidden. And they use poor children (mostly orphans, as a result of the horrible war and on going conflict) for their own evil intentions by acting nice to them etc and use money.

But one also have to remember that Afghanistan has been torn apart by 3 decades of war almost. And the people have been suffering because of it in rural areas especially. Hence, the situation there is not good in terms of governmnet etc.

I know people hate the taliban and think bad of them (but don't really know about them and the real ones) but let me tell you one thing that they acted well upon this issue and the drugs more than anyone has and after their removal from power it increased. It is like as if they allowing it and not dealing with it.

The people in power now don't even know how to run the country properly...and are all about power and that is it. The foreign policies are no help either but made things worse.
(edited 7 years ago)
I've been reading about this lately and doing some research about it's prevalence in Pakistan and Afghanistan but to a lesser extent Turkey in the West. The occupying troops were told to ignore this sex crime among the warlords sympathetic to the West whereas the Taliban were strict to ban this due to it being unislamic.
Reply 9
I know this from the Kite Runner. Watch that movie if you want to find out more. I don't want to watch this video.
Original post by mrahim
I know this from the Kite Runner. Watch that movie if you want to find out more. I don't want to watch this video.

That film drained all my emotion, it was heartbreaking to see those people, the suffering they experienced and how it perpetuated a cycled of self-oppression. Brother against brother.
Reply 11
Original post by Gora The Xplorer
That film drained all my emotion, it was heartbreaking to see those people, the suffering they experienced and how it perpetuated a cycled of self-oppression. Brother against brother.

Yeah, just think that there are many people who go through trauma like that in real life. Or worse.

Peace love and prosperity for all :afro:
Original post by mrahim
Yeah, just think that there are many people who go through trauma like that in real life. Or worse.

Peace love and prosperity for all :afro:

The story itself may be fiction but there is still truth within.
Original post by h333

I'm guessing you're Afghan yourself but every single person I know who's served there says it's completely open. It was only when the Taliban were running the country that it became (temporarily) hidden.
Reply 14
Original post by KimKallstrom
I'm guessing you're Afghan yourself but every single person I know who's served there says it's completely open. It was only when the Taliban were running the country that it became (temporarily) hidden.

Nope that is not right, it is not completely open and some areas you have to be very sly to keep it hidden. People who are practicing Muslims really hate this act and will always.

I agree the Talibans hate this act more than anyone so they are strict with it ofcourse. The people who usually do it are rich people with evil intentions and really don't care about their values. Money or temporary happiness has made them blind.

Yes in some areas it maybe very easy to operate as the country is not stable that is why, not because it is acceptable by majority.

I hope they do not get away with this ever but the country is not stable due to decades of war. Hence it is possible unfortunately as many other crimes. War = chaos.
(edited 7 years ago)
ASIAN PAEDOPHILE GROOMING GANGS

are a real problem that needs to be stopped.

Quick Reply

Latest