The Student Room Group

Tips to get cheap insurance?

What are your tips to get cheap insurance. I am hoping to get car insurance in the next couple of months.. My mother has over 15 years of no claims bonus but she does not want to be on my insurance due to her losing the no claims if I decide to do bumper cars.

I've tried sites such as Gocompare.

The car I have is a peugeot 307.

I roughly put in 7,000 annual millage.

(I don't want a black box, this is out of the window)

If you have insurance and your the age of 20 or younger (like myself) can you tell me your insurance company and what deal you got with them???

ANY ADVICE WILL BE GOOD :smile: (Ive got quotes of around 1,800)

EDIT BY COMMUNITY TEAM

ALWAYS do a car insurance quote comparison. Check:
www.moneysupermarket.com
confused.com
gocompare.com

Bigger discussion on finding cheap car insurance here
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi you can ask insurance brokers if they can reduce the cost. But what affects insurance is: where you live, age/ age of the car, how long you passed for/ how much NCB you have, profession, points on license. You just have to keep trying. My advice is: pass plus doesn`t do jack crap (great of you did it), 22 plus is where you will find cheaper insurance however a lot of people say 25 plus is where you will find best deals as you can get insured on high spec cars. But yeah ring insurance brokers. Hope this helps
Original post by urbanlocations
What are your tips to get cheap insurance. I am hoping to get car insurance in the next couple of months.. My mother has over 15 years of no claims bonus but she does not want to be on my insurance due to her losing the no claims if I decide to do bumper cars.

If you have insurance and your the age of 20 or younger (like myself) can you tell me your insurance company and what deal you got with them???

If you have your mum as a named driver on your insurance- she will not loose her no claims if you have an accident. She will only be a named driver on your insurance. You will be the main driver- therefore its your no claims that will be affected, no one elses.
I you do put your mum as a named driver on your insurance then it will bring the cost down quite a bit.
Original post by U33B
Hi you can ask insurance brokers if they can reduce the cost. But what affects insurance is: where you live, age/ age of the car, how long you passed for/ how much NCB you have, profession, points on license. You just have to keep trying. My advice is: pass plus doesn`t do jack crap (great of you did it), 22 plus is where you will find cheaper insurance however a lot of people say 25 plus is where you will find best deals as you can get insured on high spec cars. But yeah ring insurance brokers. Hope this helps

Yeah I did not do that pass plus! As it's a pointless insurance companies don't even ask for it!
Original post by Emma:-)
If you have your mum as a named driver on your insurance- she will not loose her no claims if you have an accident. She will only be a named driver on your insurance. You will be the main driver- therefore its your no claims that will be affected, no one elses.
I you do put your mum as a named driver on your insurance then it will bring the cost down quite a bit.

Yes but according to my mum she already has two polices out so she cannot get another one out....

My mum is just really Anti me going on insurance...

my first ever insurance was stupidly high, and i just had to deal with it.

up until around 5 months ago i always had cheap cars, cars that really didn't matter if my insurance didn't pay out if i crashed, so i always used to put the annual mileage very low, as if they worked it out at a crash sense then it didn't matter much, although be careful, apparently they can ask for proof of mileage using your MOT etc, but me and all my friends done it for a few years, never once did i hear about anybody getting checked up on.

I've currently got 3 years no claims, 20 years old, and driving a BMW 530 paying £112 a month, which is so low! I'm with LV (Liverpool Victoria)
every year i just check the comparisons website, if another company is cheap, they drop the cost ( i also always say there a bit lower, as they've never checked :P)

EDIT: i've never had a black box either.

Yes but according to my mum she already has two polices out so she cannot get another one out....My mum is just really Anti me going on insurance...
This may be true, but im sure my dad is insurance in both my sisters cars, as well as him having 4 cars himself, so could be a person thing in her contract with her insurance company, but i doubt it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by irdanknight

up until around 5 months ago i always had cheap cars, cars that really didn't matter if my insurance didn't pay out if i crashed, so i always used to put the annual mileage very low, as if they worked it out at a crash sense then it didn't matter much, although be careful, apparently they can ask for proof of mileage using your MOT etc, but me and all my friends done it for a few years, never once did i hear about anybody getting checked up on.

I've currently got 3 years no claims, 20 years old, and driving a BMW 530 paying £112 a month, which is so low! I'm with LV (Liverpool Victoria)
every year i just check the comparisons website, if another company is cheap, they drop the cost ( i also always say there a bit lower, as they've never checked :P)

This may be true, but im sure my dad is insurance in both my sisters cars, as well as him having 4 cars himself, so could be a person thing in her contract with her insurance company, but i doubt it.

Oh thanks for this!! I will have to check that company out!!
Yes but according to my mum she already has two polices out so she cannot get another one out....

My mum is just really Anti me going on insurance...

That's rubbish.
Firstly, your mum won't be taking the policy out, you will. She will just be a named driver on YOUR policy. And you can be a named driver on as many other insurance policies as you like. For example my dad is a named driver on my mums, my sisters,mine and my grandads policies. This is as well as having his own insurance policy on his own car.
Secondly- even if she was taking the policy out- You can take out as many policies as you like. People can have 2/3/4 cars and have policies on all of them.
Original post by Emma:-)
That's rubbish.
Firstly, your mum won't be taking the policy out, you will. She will just be a named driver on YOUR policy. And you can be a named driver on as many other insurance policies as you like. For example my dad is a named driver on my mums, my sisters,mine and my grandads policies. This is as well as having his own insurance policy on his own car.
Secondly- even if she was taking the policy out- You can take out as many policies as you like. People can have 2/3/4 cars and have policies on all of them.

So, just to jump in quick;
Would it affect their insurance/NCB if OP decided to crash into a tree and it was OP's fault?
Original post by fr0sr_
So, just to jump in quick;
Would it affect their insurance/NCB if OP decided to crash into a tree and it was OP's fault?

If the OP claimed on their insurance to cover the damage (and it was the OP's fault) then yes, the OP would loose their no claims. But any named drivers (such as their mum, dad, siblings etc) would not loose any no claims. Their no claims would be nothing to do with the OP's policy.

There is no need to put your actual mileage down they will never know! The higher the mileage the more you will pay. Just estimate a low figure.

Set up your own insurance company and then insure yourself. DO NOT CRASH! You would be totally buggered if you end up smashing into someones Veyron, or into an LPG tanker triggering a MASSIVE and devastating explosion which you survived. Going self insured takes the hassle out of getting ripped off, but your liable for all the accidents you cause.
Just an update.... I now have a car and insurance for the year for £1100!!!! I am 20 years old. My mum is the second driver.
Original post by Laomedeia
Set up your own insurance company and then insure yourself. DO NOT CRASH! You would be totally buggered if you end up smashing into someones Veyron, or into an LPG tanker triggering a MASSIVE and devastating explosion which you survived. Going self insured takes the hassle out of getting ripped off, but your liable for all the accidents you cause.

Shame I don't have that much money to sit in the bank waiting for a crash.

I just bought insurance for 1100.
She can protect her NCB by paying £5 more per month

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by irdanknight

Irrelevant unless your the only person who drives that particular car. Same reason why black boxes are blx.
Reply 16

I would recommend just spending some time and fiddling with all the options (without lying of course). I found that I think it was 7k average milage was cheaper to insure than 6k or 8k.

Multi car discounts are great, I probably saved £100-200 because I convinced my mum to switch (it was also cheaper for her), to my insurance company.

Any why don't you want a black box? Some insurers are terrible with them, but some are not. I have directline which issue an OBD port plugin. It does give me a 'score' based on how well I drive, though I don't think it affects my premium massively. There are no limitations on driving time of day, or milage, or anything like that. I've been well over the speed limit and they even state they will not pass on the info to the police. The data is pretty much only used if you have an accident, which hopefully you won't.

Edit: I see you've already bought insurance.

If anyone's interested I was 17 when I got my insurance and it was £828 for a Golf MK4 1.6, it's now gone down to about £670.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XDGFX
I would recommend just spending some time and fiddling with all the options (without lying of course). I found that I think it was 7k average milage was cheaper to insure than 6k or 8k.

Multi car discounts are great, I probably saved £100-200 because I convinced my mum to switch (it was also cheaper for her), to my insurance company.

Any why don't you want a black box? Some insurers are terrible with them, but some are not. I have directline which issue an OBD port plugin. It does give me a 'score' based on how well I drive, though I don't think it affects my premium massively. There are no limitations on driving time of day, or milage, or anything like that. I've been well over the speed limit and they even state they will not pass on the info to the police. The data is pretty much only used if you have an accident, which hopefully you won't.

Edit: I see you've already bought insurance.

If anyone's interested I was 17 when I got my insurance and it was £828 for a Golf MK4 1.6, it's now gone down to about £670.

I have insurance now 1100 for the year!! :smile: 1.4 pugeot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending