Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to help my anorexic friend

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

She was in hospital but after "recovering" has been discharged. Since then, she has been restricting her calories and losing weight rapidly. She is 18 now so the decision to go back to treatment would have to be hers.

Before I met her, I suffered and recovered from anorexia. I almost died due to complications with my heart and missed most of my GCSE years. But, I'm fine now and want to move on with my life. I have tried to be compassionate with my friend. I helped her through thick and thin but at this point, I can't see what more I can do. She genuinely doesn't want to get better. Her eating disorder is her identity - it's all she talks about.

Having someone like this around me is triggering although. Would it be selfish of me to distance myself from her? I just don't want to risk relapsing under her influence.

It's not selfish. But I think you need to talk to her about this is making you really feel.

The best thing you can do is not keep her secret for her. And then the best thing you can do for you is create some distance.

Telling someone your concerns means that you're not the only support for her and it also means you can walk away to keep yourself safe. You are paramount. It's not selfish to keep yourself well and alive.

You can't help someone that doesn't want to be helped and this could turn into a toxic relationship fairly quickly - if it isn't toxic for you already
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.