Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Work Experience

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

I only decided that I wanted to do medicine recently, around January/February. Due to medicine applications requiring a lot of work experience/ job shadowing, I emailed a lot of contacts,such as a GP, a hospice and a couple of care homes. All of them have either not replied or declined. Should I keep contacting other care homes or facilities like that or should I look to alternative methods like Food Bank help? Any help/advice would be really useful!

I'm afraid I can't be much help here, but I would keep applying to the sorts of places you are already applying to and I would also start applying to other types of places like the ones you have mentioned. In other words, don't give up on the first method but try some other ones as well.

Have you emailed them directly?

I would strongly advice to apply via the NHS jobs portal.

I'm in the same position, looking to get some work experience in the two summers before submitting my application. I searched for HCA (Health Care Assistant) positions in the NHS portal and there were alot of positions. Go for it!

Keep trying.
    Have you phoned the ones who've not replied to you?
    It is often not easy to get work experience, and requires contacting a lot of people.
    Try as many GP practices as you can - write to them or e-mail them, and then follow it up with a phonecall as well.
    Have you tried hospitals in your region?
    With the hospice / care homes, make sure you are clear on what you are asking for - do you want 'work experience' shadowing a certain role, or do you want to volunteer?
    If you have any family / parents of friends / friends of friends of friends then it goes without saying to try to use any contacts - but not everyone has these (I didn't know anyone).
    As has already been said, it is still useful seeking volunteering experience in other places at the same time as trying to find some work experience, as it is useful to be able to demonstrate both work experience and commitment to volunteering, if you can.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.