The Student Room Group

You cannot choose to be from a country; hence it is pointless being patriotic.

There's no point in being patriotic.

Why would one want to be proud of being British or whatever your demonym is, because you did not choose to be born there, you did not take some big test that you should boast about on the rooftops.

Every time I see someone identity as a patriot, I cringe. Not only has patriotism not just become being proud of one's country (which is stupid as explained above)
it's become a code word for the phrase "I'm a closet racist". Note that I immediately stop taking any person who says that seriously.

What are your thoughts

Scroll to see replies

lmaooo most of the youth arent even patriots anyway, just on TSR

who gives a **** anymore, patriotism and nationalism is dead
It's for people with little else to be proud of.

This sounds more offensive than I wanted it to. I don't think there's anything wrong with appreciating your culture or your country - there's a lot that I like about our culture. What I dislike is the more and more prominent vicious nationalism, and the sense of superiority that some people seem to feel just because they're British. You're not superior, it's entirely down to chance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by JordanL_
It's for people with little else to be proud of.

LOOOOOL.
Reply 4
Original post by Youngmetro
lmaooo most of the youth arent even patriots anyway, just on TSR

who gives a **** anymore, patriotism and nationalism is dead

And for good reason, not sure why'd anyone would want to be proud of a country steeped in institutionalised racism
Original post by Itsyaboy
And for good reason, not sure why'd anyone would want to be proud of a country steeped in institutionalised racism

A boring country with a bland culture to show for it.
As much as I agree with you, It's Important to be proud of your culture, that's how cultures survive.

The Chinese do it every year, you don't get people bashing them.

I mean some people take it too far and wish pain on other races and stereotype them but you gotta draw the line somewhere before that.

Most British patriots are even patriotic, they're just a bunch of insecure football chavs who attack others to make themselves feel better.
Reply 7
hollywood made me this way.

**** yeah america *f35 fly-by*
Original post by Longshot6000
As much as I agree with you, It's Important to be proud of your culture, that's how cultures survive.

The Chinese do it every year, you don't get people bashing them.

I mean some people take it too far and wish pain on other races and stereotype them but you gotta draw the line somewhere before that.

Most British patriots are even patriotic, they're just a bunch of insecure football chavs who attack others to make themselves feel better.

The Chinese dont use their culture to undermine other cultures and people, the british do.

The Chinese dont think others should be forced to adopt their culture, the British do.

The Chinese dont think their culture is superior to others, the British do (well, western culture)

the Chinese dont uphold their culture and believe others should look up to it, the British do.

The Chinese have a culture, the British dont.

People who claim to be nationalists in Britain spend more time bashing other cultures, screaming about immigrants and muslims rather than actually being proud of their mundane culture. They simply shout 'Culture Relativism is ********'
Depends really. Great Britain is a wonderful place to live, as is (was) a lot of Europe - everywhere that's worth living in is that way because of European involvement.

What do people from islamic hellholes have to be patriotic about?
^^ point proven. @Longshot6000
The Chinese dont use their culture to undermine other cultures and people, the british do.

The Chinese dont think others should be forced to adopt their culture, the British do.

The Chinese dont think their culture is superior to others, the British do (well, western culture)

the Chinese dont uphold their culture and believe others should look up to it, the British do.

People who claim to be nationalists in Britain spend more time bashing other cultures, screaming about immigrants and muslims rather than actually being proud of their mundane culture. They simply shout 'Culture Relativism is ********'

Erm, that's basically what I said. The Chinese know how to do it right, the british don't but the OP basically said all people who are proud of their culture.

P.s. Don't wanna sound rude but can you please put apostrophes in your "don'ts". It was hard to read.
Original post by Longshot6000
Erm, that's basically what I said. The Chinese know how to do it right, the british don't but the OP basically said all people who are proud of their culture.

P.s. Don't wanna sound rude but can you please put apostrophes in your "don'ts". It was hard to read.

Yeah, i was just using you to emphasise my own agenda, sorry
Yeah, i was just using you to emphasise my own agenda, sorry

You're forgiven.
Reply 14
Nationalism is a fairly recent construct. The concept is not more than a couple of centuries old. It's quite ridiculous if you think about it, but whatever. It's mostly used by insecure people to try to feel superior in some way.
Celebrating your culture, that's a whole different thing.

Lol.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/27/chinas-christians-protest-evil-communist-campaign-to-tear-down-crosses

The notion that the Chinese are somehow more tolerant of alien cultures than the British is bafflingly stupid.

It is.

We do.
********'

Original post by tengentoppa

Learn how to use TSR to reply you moron

The article is completely irrelevant and proves nothing. I rest my case.

You really think western culture is superior? LOOOOL you just prove my point

Yes, british culture is boring and bland, just filled with people with a superiority complex, like you.

How can someone not have a culture? That literally makes no sense.
Reply 18
Agreed. As George Bernard Shaw said: "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all others because you were born in it."

Aldous Huxley also said: "One of the great attractions of patriotism - it fulfills our worst wishes. In the person of our nation we are able, vicariously, to bully and cheat. Bully and cheat, what's more, with a feeling that we are profoundly virtuous." If anyone doubts that this is still going on, just look at what the mainstream media print about anyone perceived as being unpatriotic. Alternatively, just look at Zac Goldsmith's despicable campaign for London mayor.
Original post by NickLCFC
How can someone not have a culture? That literally makes no sense.

Yh, the bland and boring british culture, as i have already mentioned.

Quick Reply

Latest