The Student Room Group

Moments questions

I was looking at a few moments questions this morning and it turns out I'm not brilliant at them. I have tried them and feel like I've gone completly wrong.

Has anyone got any tips/ideas on how to tackle moments questions?

Any help will be much appreciated Thank you :smile:
Matt :smile:
Reply 1

2 A child of weight 500 N sits 2.0 m to the left of the centre of a 5.0-m-long uniformseesaw. The pivot is under the centre of gravity of the seesaw. A friend of weight300 N sits 2.0 m to the right of the centre. They find that the only way they canbalance the seesaw is if someone holds down the right-hand end of the seesaw.Calculate:

a the moment of the child’s weight about the pivot

b the moment of the friend’s weight about the pivot

c the downward force that must be applied at the right-hand end of theseesaw.

Even simple questions like this I've struggled on. Maybe Im making it to hard for myself?

Original post by matt1306

2 A child of weight 500 N sits 2.0 m to the left of the centre of a 5.0-m-long uniformseesaw. The pivot is under the centre of gravity of the seesaw. A friend of weight300 N sits 2.0 m to the right of the centre. They find that the only way they canbalance the seesaw is if someone holds down the right-hand end of the seesaw.Calculate:

a the moment of the child’s weight about the pivot

b the moment of the friend’s weight about the pivot

c the downward force that must be applied at the right-hand end of theseesaw.

Even simple questions like this I've struggled on. Maybe Im making it to hard for myself?

Diagrams do it all for you honestly. Here. I'm sure you can work out what X is by yourself right? ^-^
Any questions feel free to ask

Reply 3
Original post by thefatone
Diagrams do it all for you honestly. Here. I'm sure you can work out what X is by yourself right? ^-^
Any questions feel free to ask

Thank you very much! Looks like I defiantly over complicated it. Think the fact that the first two point were both 2 marks each threw me.
Original post by matt1306
Thank you very much! Looks like I defiantly over complicated it. Think the fact that the first two point were both 2 marks each threw me.

haha it's ok i have huge difficulties with physics too ^-^

no worries :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest