The Student Room Group

Firm and Insurance?

Hi all,
I am very grateful to have received all U.K. Offers that I wanted but am currently facing a dilemma on what to firm and insure given that the deadline is looming. My offers are all nearly identical:

Oxford E&M: A*AA in maths further maths and physics (A* not specified)

LSE Econ: A* AA, A* in maths, A in Econ, Pass F Maths.

UCL Econ: A* AA, A* in maths, A in Econ, Pass F Maths.

Warwick Econ: A*AA, just has to include maths and Econ. A* not specified.

Durham Econ: A*AA, just has to include maths and Econ. A* not specified.

I currently study General Studies, Critical Thinking, Chem, Physics, Econ, Maths and F Maths. (The first two not allowed in any of my offers...)

Any advice would be appreciated?
Original post by skylake
Hi all,
I am very grateful to have received all U.K. Offers that I wanted but am currently facing a dilemma on what to firm and insure given that the deadline is looming. My offers are all nearly identical:

Oxford E&M: A*AA in maths further maths and physics (A* not specified)

LSE Econ: A* AA, A* in maths, A in Econ, Pass F Maths.

UCL Econ: A* AA, A* in maths, A in Econ, Pass F Maths.

Warwick Econ: A*AA, just has to include maths and Econ. A* not specified.

Durham Econ: A*AA, just has to include maths and Econ. A* not specified.

I currently study General Studies, Critical Thinking, Chem, Physics, Econ, Maths and F Maths. (The first two not allowed in any of my offers...)

Any advice would be appreciated?

First of all - Congrats!!! Amazing offers.

If I were to choose, I would most likely firm Oxford, because it's Oxford!!! .. (or LSE)
But it also depends where you wanna spend three years of your life. London? Or on a campus? Would you like to live in a residence or college? Those are the questions you need to ask yourself first.
Also, what subject are you best at? The one where an A* is almost 100% (I know one never knows, but..)? Look at your AS, grades this year and finally your gut feeling :smile:

In terms of their quality/prestige (not always a good way to judge universities, but...), I would say:
Oxford > LSE > UCL > Warwick >>> Durham (and I mean this specifically for your courses).

Honestly if you decide to firm one of Oxford, Warwick or Durham, then there is no real insurance..However, if you firm LSE or UCL, then one of the others could be an "insurance" :smile:

Maybe say more about what you expect from university and I might be more helpful.
Hope it helps at least a bit!
Reply 2
Original post by Madla Spadla
First of all - Congrats!!! Amazing offers.

If I were to choose, I would most likely firm Oxford, because it's Oxford!!! .. (or LSE)
But it also depends where you wanna spend three years of your life. London? Or on a campus? Would you like to live in a residence or college? Those are the questions you need to ask yourself first.
Also, what subject are you best at? The one where an A* is almost 100% (I know one never knows, but..)? Look at your AS, grades this year and finally your gut feeling :smile:

In terms of their quality/prestige (not always a good way to judge universities, but...), I would say:
Oxford > LSE > UCL > Warwick >>> Durham (and I mean this specifically for your courses).

Honestly if you decide to firm one of Oxford, Warwick or Durham, then there is no real insurance..However, if you firm LSE or UCL, then one of the others could be an "insurance" :smile:

Maybe say more about what you expect from university and I might be more helpful.
Hope it helps at least a bit!

Thank you very much, and yes I'm incredibly grateful. I think my strongest subjects are probably maths and physics. With my most uncertain being economics. F maths should be an alright A though. So I think I'm gonna firm Oxford. Then insure LSE as I only need to pass f maths there. So there's that discrepancy. I do think soon Econ offers at top unis will becom A*A*A, so I am so happy with these. I think Cambridge have now altered there standard offer to A*A*A, so I reckon others will soon follow.
Okay, amazing! Good luck there and with your exams!
I might see you there in 2017 if I get in for PPE - which is a long shot, but anyway I have to try :biggrin:

As for the offers, yes I think they'll be raised in a couple of years as Economics is popular and universities need something to distinguish between their candidates...

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you are focused purely for a career in finance, I would recommend choosing the LSE over Oxbridge. The teaching is focused almost entirely on producing academics and any practical knowledge required for banking/consulting will need to be obtained on your own (at least that has been the case for me in Cambridge).

But if you aren't 100% sure or looking at a career in research, go for Oxford.
Reply 5
Original post by RooT_Fifteen
If you are focused purely for a career in finance, I would recommend choosing the LSE over Oxbridge. The teaching is focused almost entirely on producing academics and any practical knowledge required for banking/consulting will need to be obtained on your own (at least that has been the case for me in Cambridge).

But if you aren't 100% sure or looking at a career in research, go for Oxford.

Okay fair enough, I am looking at finance yes, but my long term aspirations is to own firm of my own at some point in time. What subject do you study at Cambridge then?
Original post by skylake
Okay fair enough, I am looking at finance yes, but my long term aspirations is to own firm of my own at some point in time. What subject do you study at Cambridge then?

I am a finalist economics student at Cambridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending