The Student Room Group

Help

Someone please give me advice,
I am currently doing 4 a levels in biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. I have been told by many people that next year it gets really hard and because of the new spec they recommend me dropping one a level.
I am thinking either maths or psychology. At this moment in time i am predicted a grade A in both however, i am only sitting the maths AS level this year so if i choose to drop psychology it would be as though i didnt even do it for a year because i would come out with nothing. But i have been told by many people that universities see a grade C/B in maths better than an A in pyschology is that true? I find pyschology way easier than maths so if i choose to carry on psychology, i feel as though i would have more time to study biology and chemistry, which are two necessary a levels i need for a science based career. What should i do??
Reply 1
Original post by thefailurelife
But i have been told by many people that universities see a grade C/B in maths better than an A in pyschology is that true?

I highly doubt that this is true.

What should i do??

Why don't you continue with 4 A-Levels and see if it really is too hard, if it is, then consider dropping one subject, if you feel you can manage, then go for it.
Original post by Zacken

Why don't you continue with 4 A-Levels and see if it really is too hard, if it is, then consider dropping one subject, if you feel you can manage, then go for it.

But i feel as though i can get better grades if i do 3 because it would give me more time. Ive also heard that many people regret doing 4 a levels because it isnt necessary im just worried that ill feel the same and if i wait all the way till next year to drop one and i do ill just feel like this year would have been a waste. If that makes sense :/
Original post by Zacken
My own psychology teacher told me
Reply 4
Depends on what you want to study further on. Going into maths, then yes Maths would be looked at more highly than Psychology and vice versa.

which subject is more interesting and better to you?
Original post by ZuluK
Depends on what you want to study further on. Going into maths, then yes Maths would be looked at more highly than Psychology and vice versa.

That's the thing originally I only chose to do psychology because I wanted to do dentistry and you need 3 a's and I felt as though i could get one of my a's through psychology, but now I don't even know if I want to do dentistry and I've come to like psychology. On the other hand at the beginning of the year I used to enjoy maths but now that's sort of changed but I don't know if it's because of the AS exam stress because all I've been really doing right now is maths revision.
Original post by ZuluK

I dont really want to go into maths but psychology i think that would be more for me.
Reply 7
That's the thing originally I only chose to do psychology because I wanted to do dentistry and you need 3 a's and I felt as though i could get one of my a's through psychology, but now I don't even know if I want to do dentistry and I've come to like psychology. On the other hand at the beginning of the year I used to enjoy maths but now that's sort of changed but I don't know if it's because of the AS exam stress because all I've been really doing right now is maths revision.

I dont really want to go into maths but psychology i think that would be more for me.

From what you're saying, you seem to be more inclined towards Psychology. Go with your gut instincts and at least with the maths you'll have the UCAS points for the AS. But with Psych you'll lose it.

But what Zacken said, stick with 4 and if Maths is still stressful then you can drop it. :biggrin:

Hope that helps
Thank you so much. I think you both helped me find my answer without even realising it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest