Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Bath or King's

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I've gotten an offer for studying a masters from both Bath and Kings and I don't know which uni to choose.

I hope to get a job in maybe investment banking or something along those lines. I was told that university reputation is important and employers still care more about the name and reputation as opposed to teaching quality of the universities. I know that kings has a good reputation so it would be a good choice whereas bath is relatively new.

For the teaching and student satisfaction bath is a lot higher in the tables than kings also it is in a nicer area. It actually brings me to another question, why is kings relatively low in the tables?

But my question is how important is name and reputation to an employer in any field and how good would people with experience in either university say about their experience studies physics there?

Hi there, I’m a 3rd year physics student at Kings.

I’ll start with the specifics of the course, 1st year is spent getting everyone on a solid foundation since everyone is from a different physics background. As you move up the years you get more and more choices of modules so you can start tailoring to what you prefer, ie astrophysics or medical physics. There are quite a few branches of physics courses (theoretical, with maths, with philosophy) so check which ones would be most suited to you. Personally I enjoy the course a lot, the lecturers invest a lot of time in you outside of lecture hours, you can arrange to see them with any questions, and you’ll even have your own personal tutor within the physics department to help with any and all questions, in and out of the course.

In terms of why is kings low in the tables, you sort of answered your own question there, in the tables which take into account student satisfaction our low score in that brings down our rank, but there are so many different tables where we rank differently they shouldn’t be taken too strictly. The satisfaction in this case I imagine would be poor student – admin communication in some areas, as well as things like accomadation issues. But your student life is essentially what you make for yourself, kings is in the heart of London and they provide so many activities in and out of university.

In the case of reputation and name, KCL and I imagine Bath are widely known, to the point where you wouldn’t have to worry about the name on your degree. I’d say Kings may be more known specifically as it is a main London uni and is certainly very old. So at either uni you wouldn’t have to be concerned about the value of your degree, as long as you have a good grade you’ll be strongly considered in many job areas, especially with a physics degree.

Also, an extremely common scenario is that you’ll be applying for internships in your 2nd or 3rd year for summer, this is especially big in the banking area, there are lots of different companies and physics is definitely an area they go for. From an internship some may offer you a place for when you graduate, assuming you meet a certain grade, and in other cases just the experience of an internship alone will let you apply to jobs with an advantage.

Overall, I’d say that if you’re thinking of Bath and Kings you don’t have to worry about reputation at all, make sure you visit both places, get a feel for the environment. See which places appeal more to your personal preferences. Uni is about the journey as well, you’ll be spending 3 or 4 years so you’ll want to enjoy yourself.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.