Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

UK school asks for public donations to support migrant students

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

A primary school in Scotland that has no native Scottish children attending is struggling to provide for it's students, most of whom cannot speak English well enough to benefit from the teachers.

The school's students are made up mainly of Slovakian, Asian, and Romanian students, and as none of the teachers there speak anything other than English the school has begun looking for funding outside the usual channels to provide additional classes for students and adults alike. As it stands the students that have been there the longest act as unofficial interpreters for the newest arrivals.

Encase you are wondering what a donation buys you, or the children, here's a break down should you feel like making a contribution.
    I wonder how a 'trip to the seaside' is suppose to develop English skills. I suppose they know what they are doing.

EDIT; can someone help me find a link to the donation page so I can include it in the OP? I can't seem to find it.

"The cash raised will be spent on board games like Guess Who? or Articulate, which for £10 help pupils learn words and social skills, according to the cash appeal.A donation of £100 could be used to pay for after school classes for students and parents to learn English together.Around £200 may finance a trip away to the seaside or out of Glasgow into the Scottish countryside. £500 could fund a new playground and £1,000 would be enough for an outdoor classroom. "http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3569230/Primary-school-Glasgow-222-pupils-not-single-one-Scottish-Headteacher-pleads-crowdfunding-cash-teach-Slovakian-Asian-Romanian-pupils.html#comments

That;s nice of them.

Good stuff!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.