The Student Room Group

N5 English Exam is this Thursday :/

:/

How's everyone feeling about it? What poems are you doing? Anyone feeling confident?

Scroll to see replies

We are doing the Edwin Morgan poems and Macbeth for the essay. I got an A band 1 in the prelim.
I think I will do well but i guess it just depends on what the questions are. And then I have geography the day after :frown:

Have you studied much for English? I haven't done that much tbh.
Reply 2
Original post by ___Sophie___
We are doing the Edwin Morgan poems and Macbeth for the essay. I got an A band 1 in the prelim.
I think I will do well but i guess it just depends on what the questions are. And then I have geography the day after :frown:

Have you studied much for English? I haven't done that much tbh.

English is by far my worst subject, So I've been going ham on revision for it lol.

We're doing Duffy and have the option of doing Macbeth or Paula Brown's New Snowsuit for the Exam, although I have already made my mind that I'll be doing Paula Brown come Thursday, as we haven't really revised Macbeth as well as the other classes have lol.

I scraped an A in the prelim, the Set Text and Essay saved me lol.
We're doing the Anne Donovan short stories for set text and Macbeth for the critical essay - what I'm most anxious about. I got 69% in the prelim, hope I can replicate that and get pulled up by my folio. :s-smilie:
I am doing Carol Anne Duffy for my set text and for the essay I have the option to do prose- Jekyll and Hyde, or media- Shutter Island. Tbh I think i will end up going for the media essay. I feel a little nervous, english is not my best subject but it's also the first exam so when it's done it should get easier :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by scottishguyy
We're doing the Anne Donovan short stories for set text and Macbeth for the critical essay - what I'm most anxious about. I got 69% in the prelim, hope I can replicate that and get pulled up by my folio. :s-smilie:

Same here mate. I'm not really confident on the close reading paper, So I'm hoping my folio could boost my grade up :smile:

Original post by studyranger
I am doing Carol Anne Duffy for my set text and for the essay I have the option to do prose- Jekyll and Hyde, or media- Shutter Island. Tbh I think i will end up going for the media essay. I feel a little nervous, english is not my best subject but it's also the first exam so when it's done it should get easier :smile:

Oh nice.

I feel the same as well. As soon as that English exam is over it's just happy days :biggrin:
Reply 6
I got 51% in the prelim... but a high A was 74%, shows how bad my school is. My teacher estimated 22/30 on my folio. I've done lots of revision so I'm hoping I can get a B but english was always my weakest subject
Original post by Elixis
I got 51% in the prelim... but a high A was 74%, shows how bad my school is. My teacher estimated 22/30 on my folio. I've done lots of revision so I'm hoping I can get a B but english was always my weakest subject

You'll do great as long as you memorise those quotes and know how to answer Close Reading questions. Keep reading your set text!
Reply 8
I'm dreading lol, But Good luck to all those doing N5 English this year!
How do you all think it went? If you don't reply 'elsa the emo' is gonna get you.
How do you all think it went? If you don't reply 'elsa the emo' is gonna get you.

I think the close reading went really well, we got a great essay question but I'm really worried about the Scottish text as I got the poem I liked the least. I hope I can still get an A though but I'm not really sure.
How did you find it?
Reply 11
i'm confident that i got an A
the elsa paper was a bit bizarre, and i probably dropped one or two marks on the final question, but, other than that, it was extremely easy for me
when i went in, i wrote down all of my quotes for the catcher in the rye, and then did the scottish texts (piss easy imo, originally is the hardest poem because i struggle to link it to the other poems, but the questions were really basic). i counted the amount of words in my essay and got 2153, which i thought was pretty good (i was pretty much constantly writing), and i referenced the question in absolutely every paragraph (i did question 4 (?), the one that mentioned an "interesting character"), and made sure that what i was saying was relevant

now i've got to hit the books again for geography, but it's my best subject imo (i got 38/40 in the prelim)
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't know how that went. The close reading was really straightforward at times but some questions were abit hard. For CA Duffy Originally came up and it was ok. My essay was on film and I did the one about shock. I really want and A but because of the TA and close reading I'm not sure. I don't think i did really bad but I feel I've jut gotten an A or a B. Overall it was ok.

I'm quite confident although I don't want to say anything just yet lol. I think the close reading was surprisingly not bad and hopefully I've done well in it. I personally think it got progressively harder as the first few questions were a breeze.

I was so happy when I got Originally and the questions were quite straightforward thankfully. Hoping for a high mark!

The essay wasn't bad. I never got setting or injustice for Paula Brown, But still manage to cope with the Key incident question as I memorised all the important quotes.

Hoping for an A!
Can anyone remember what the poetry questions were for the critical essay? I can't remember the one about emotions and it's annoying me 😂
Anyone else to Edwin Morgan for the Scottish text questions?
Reply 16
Original post by studyranger
The close reading was really straightforward at times but some questions were abit hard..

yeah, definitely
the personality stuff at the end was pretty hard imo, i think i ended up saying something about her having a sense of humour, due to her answer to the question about whether or not she had an elsa outfit or something
the contrasts one was a bit of a curveball too- i hadn't actually watched any of the stuff that she was in, so i didn't know whether or not there was contrast there, but i ended up picking that and the contrast between the serious question and the humourous tone of the last paragraph
Did anyone write down she was ambitious for the last question for close reading? That one was a bit of a shocker :/
Well, I didn't find the close reading too bad, the contrast question was weird because, to me, there was no contrast, lmao.

Set text was okay, however, I referenced from another part of the story when it said reference from the extract for the eight marker.

The essay, I have no idea how that went. The question we had was so vague - drama, two - and I just threw everything relevant down on paper and walked the reader through the story with analysis.

I mean, I hope I did well and I don't have to rely too much on the folio to get that A.
Just being a bit nosey(I did N5 last year)...What was the RUAE about? What poem came up for the textual analysis on MacCaig?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending