The Student Room Group

How do I pass graduate job interviews?

How do I pass UK graduate job interviews? I've probably taken part in about 30 processes for internships and graduate roles since 2013 and failed all of them (though I have passed individual phone interviews).

Almost all questions are basic questions about the company or competency questions. I know about the STAR format for the latter. I think the only reason I may fail these is due to not being a normie. I've interviewed with companies in many industries (investment banks, public sector, engineering, and more) and it seems that every recruitment process desires glib normies who are above a low intelligence threshold and who were President of the Anything Society at university.

Do you have any advice for giving off the normie vibe? You may say stuff like "Be concise, structure your answers and so on" but I know literally all of that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Redroadmarking
How do I pass UK graduate job interviews? I've probably taken part in about 30 processes for internships and graduate roles since 2013 and failed all of them (though I have passed individual phone interviews).

Almost all questions are basic questions about the company or competency questions. I know about the STAR format for the latter. I think the only reason I may fail these is due to not being a normie. I've interviewed with companies in many industries (investment banks, public sector, engineering, and more) and it seems that every recruitment process desires glib normies who are above a low intelligence threshold and who were President of the Anything Society at university.

Do you have any advice for giving off the normie vibe? You may say stuff like "Be concise, structure your answers and so on" but I know literally all of that.

Well what feedback have you been getting?
You might want to change your attitude. Whatever you are doing isnt working so you ahve to admit that and have an open mind in where you need to strengthen. You can insult the normies as you call them, but these people are still beating you to the job. You arent really in a position of strength until you get them to offer you the job, otherwise its their rules and you kust have to learn how to get over the hurdles.

Identify at what stage you are falling down.
Get feedback
Improve those stages.

If you dont give them what they want in terms of skills, then they arent going to pick you. If you believe you have those skills and are better thna other candidates, then its your faul for not getting them across.

Its going to be:
Job search, written application, assessment centre, interview.
Interviews are about preparation and practice.

Go and get some feedback, do mick interviews and ask people what they think.
(edited 7 years ago)
Zero feedback except one occasion where it didn't explain anything (it was generic).
Original post by Redroadmarking
Zero feedback except one occasion where it didn't explain anything (it was generic).

If they don't give you feedback you need to ask for it. But afraid I agree with 999tigger, you need to change your attitude. If you are invited to interview they think you are capable, you need to get your passion for the job and experience across.
I agree with the above, it must be the way your attitude comes across.

Interviews are pretty much whether they like you as a person or not. All the technical stuff comes from passing the assessment centers, which you must've done in order to get the interview.

When I joined my company, it was a much simpler process than it is now. All I had to do was a phone interview, if I passed that, then you are called in for a HR interview and then a technical one about 30 mins after.

I recently got told (by another employee, so no idea if its true...but this person usually gets all the gossip quickly!) that apparently the technical interview has very little impact on your job. It all comes down to the HR and whether you are a person they feel can fit into their team and if you clearly show enthusiasm for the role and passion for what you will be doing to make up for your lack of technical knowledge.
Reply 6
it sounds like you are looking at a VERY wide range of roles - is there a common theme or are you just applying for random things? it will be harder to sound like you mean it when you say you really want that job if it is banking one day and engineering the next and public sector the day after

as others have said, your posts suggests a poor attitude. no one who has a choice is going to employ someone who snidely looks down on their colleagues as 'normies'. so, if you want a traditional grad role, get over yourself - you're not a special snowflake. alternatively - harness your attitude, find a non traditional path and make your own career.

build experience. you can gain skills and show initiative, commitment, leadership etc even in non-grad roles. all of that will make you a stronger candidate for grad roles

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending