The Student Room Group

Of Mice and Men question

I came across this past paper question:

'The novel was first published in 1937
'What is it about the themes of the novel that continue to attract readers?'

How would you go about answering it?

btw, I thought at first you would list the themes in Of Mice and Men, consider how they are represented in the novel, and then suggest what Steinbeck is trying to relate them to in society??? But I'm probably wrong.
No you're not wrong, I answered the question that way in the mock and got an A*. It's all about talking about the themes of racism and sexism presented in the book, by the treatment of Crooks and Curly's wife. As long as you made perceptive comments about how the themes are still relevant today, and justified them with quotations you would get the marks.
Original post by sabiscopic
I came across this past paper question:
'The novel was first published in 1937
'What is it about the themes of the novel that continue to attract readers?'
How would you go about answering it?
btw, I thought at first you would list the themes in Of Mice and Men, consider how they are represented in the novel, and then suggest what Steinbeck is trying to relate them to in society??? But I'm probably wrong.
Listing themes will do you no good. The question clearly states what is it about those themes, which make the book still relevant today? The same could be asked about Shakespeare or Chaucer. There is a lot of context to bring in in this question as well. Talk about Great Depression and capitalism.
Original post by 04MR17
Listing themes will do you no good. The question clearly states what is it about those themes, which make the book still relevant today? The same could be asked about Shakespeare or Chaucer. There is a lot of context to bring in in this question as well. Talk about Great Depression and capitalism.

I see... Thanks.
So, for example, the theme of prejudice against women in the 1930s relates to the growing feminist movement happening at the moment. They both discuss how women should not be objectified in society.
Original post by sabiscopic
I see... Thanks. So, for example, the theme of prejudice against women in the 1930s relates to the growing feminist movement happening at the moment. They both discuss how women should not be objectified in society.
Or even how, the lack of name implies her lack of individuality through simply the role of Wife, which has now changed due to same sex marriage. You can also argue the reverse: that the themes do not exist in modern day society.

Quick Reply

Latest