The Student Room Group

What are the principles of utilitarianism???

'happiness in the greatest number'
Basically it's better to prevent 10 people from dying by allowing 3 to be tortured to death

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Utilitarianism is based on the principle of providing the "greatest good for the greatest number." Essentially, this means that a utilitarian will always choose the option which saves the most lives, or allows the greatest number of people to be happy. However, the person making the decision should not show bias towards themselves, their family or other loved ones as each individual involved should be taken into account equally, regardless of personal connection. For example, a true utilitarian would, given the option between saving from certain death ten members of their family or one hundred complete strangers, choose to save the strangers. Hope this helps!
So is it hedonism, principle of utility and human motivation ? I'm confused as I watched a video yesterday and it mentioned four completely different principles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by lol123456789
So is it hedonism, principle of utility and human motivation ? I'm confused as I watched a video yesterday and it mentioned four completely different principles

Hedonism is based on obtaining the greatest pleasure for the greatest number of people whereas utilitarianism concerns itself with obtaining the greatest good for the greatest number of people. I think hedonism is a form of utilitarianism as you could argue that pleasure is good. However, pleasure is not the only form of good.

For example, imagine a married couple have encountered irreconcilable issues in their relationship. They regularly fight and disagree with each other, leaving their young child in distress. They are considering divorce, but which is the better option; staying together and placing the entire family under extreme stress or to separate and live more peaceful lives apart with the child living in a calmer household at the expense of having only one parent around for the majority of the time? Neither option brings pleasure to anyone but a utilitarian might argue that it would be better to separate and live calmer lives apart.
In a political context, utilitarianism, is the principle that British Governments around 1770-1840 (and many since I presume) based decisions on. The term is directly associated with Jeremy Bentham.
Reply 6
Original post by espace13
Hedonism is based on obtaining the greatest pleasure for the greatest number of people whereas utilitarianism concerns itself with obtaining the greatest good for the greatest number of people. I think hedonism is a form of utilitarianism as you could argue that pleasure is good. However, pleasure is not the only form of good.

For example, imagine a married couple have encountered irreconcilable issues in their relationship. They regularly fight and disagree with each other, leaving their young child in distress. They are considering divorce, but which is the better option; staying together and placing the entire family under extreme stress or to separate and live more peaceful lives apart with the child living in a calmer household at the expense of having only one parent around for the majority of the time? Neither option brings pleasure to anyone but a utilitarian might argue that it would be better to separate and live calmer lives apart.

Actually I'm pretty sure hedonism itself is a relatively selfish idea of gaining the greatest pleasure for oneself. You're right that Utilitarianism is about doing what brings about the 'greatest good for the greatest number', but Jeremy Bentham stated that "nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters; pain and pleasure." I could be wrong because I did this exam last year but as far as I recall Bentham believed pleasure was the only inherent good, and pain the only inherent evil.

Quick Reply

Latest