The Student Room Group

Yet another council tax question....(sorry guys)

First of all, i apologise in advance for this message, because its about council tax. And really cause im a student it should be simple. But i just wanna make sure im not losing my mind here, or just being stupid and missing something obvious.

So i open my email today and my landlady has sent a message, asking for £47 for council tax from all of us. I live in a house of 5-two of us (myself included) are final year undergraduates (i'll get back to this in a bit), one of us just finished post-grad studies a few months ago (so will probably not be exempt anymore as i understand), and the other two are phd students.

This was completely out of the blue. First time out landlady asked for council tax, ever, let alone from all of us. As a student I thought i was exempt, and as I havent finished my final exams yet (in the next few days...gulp) I figured I wouldnt be paying any. Also, there is no mention in our contract of who pays it (though as a tenant I can understand being expected to pay)

So am I wrong in thinking I shouldnt have to pay? I figure I should be a student either until i graduate (mid July) or until my University no longer thinks i am (which im taking as mid june, when my student id card expires). I'd really appreciate your help-have I missed anything here?

Thanks in advance
I'd refuse for the following reasons:
- You're a student so aren't you exempt?
- Not specific enough in the contract
- Seems all of a sudden, shouldn't this have started when you starting living there?
Original post by unknownaddition
I'd refuse for the following reasons:
- You're a student so aren't you exempt?
- Not specific enough in the contract
- Seems all of a sudden, shouldn't this have started when you starting living there?

Im planning to refuse, but ive been complaining to my land lady every time i get a bill through and she just makes me pay them anyway so i want to make sure this time. I thought i was exempt because i'm still a student, and im leaving this property at the end of the month before i stop being a student (which should be June/July, technically). There is also no mention of it in the contract, and she has never mentioned it before, ever.
Students are exempt. My son and his housemates got a council tax bill (from the council) and he simply phoned up the council and gave them the names of the tenants, they then checked on their list from the uni and they were all exempt. He did it whilst I was there so I know it was super simple.
You shouldn't pay bills without seeing them.
(edited 7 years ago)
I was under the impression that the household was only exempt for as long as everyone was a student. Then after that the council tax bill returns as such. So now your housemate has finished his PhD your house goes back on the register for council tax (hence you're all charged). It's a household charge rather than an individual tenant charge. (A kind of all exempt until someone isn't eligible then the house gets charged)

It sucks, but as far as I'm aware that's the case, and is why a lot of students won't live with others that are going to graduate / finish before them.

(That could be wrong, but that's what I've been told before..)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CharlieH1992
I was under the impression that the household was only exempt for as long as everyone was a student. Then after that the council tax bill returns as such. So now your housemate has finished his PhD your house goes back on the register for council tax (hence you're all charged). It's a household charge rather than an individual tenant charge. (A kind of all exempt until someone isn't eligible then the house gets charged)

It sucks, but as far as I'm aware that's the case, and is why a lot of students won't live with others that are going to graduate / finish before them.

I think you could be correct about the housemate who has finished his PhD, unless he's still registered as a student at the uni he'll be liable (and therefore so will the household) for council tax :-(
1. The final year students are disregarded.
2. The PHD students are disregarded.
3. The person who has finished his PHD is liable, but can apply for 25% single persons discount.
https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/housing/renting-a-home/student-housing/students-in-private-rented-accommodation/student-housing-council-tax/
Original post by CharlieH1992

Yeah i read this too. If the household is all students there's no council tax. If there are a few people, its still only the people who arent students who have to pay, and they can ask for it to be lowered based on how many people are int he household and exempt. So technically I shouldnt have to pay.

Thanks to everyone for confirming everything though and making me feel like a bit less of an idiot!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending