The Student Room Group

Ireland!-A Timeline for (2591) OCR Thematic Module

(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 1
Battle of Widow McCormack Cabbage Patch :biggrin:
i'm doing this module! just started revising for it and looked over 2 past questions i've done. i find it really hard to get the continutity and change bit into the essays tho...any help!?
Reply 3
I think Emmet justifies a few sentances at least, since he passed on the torch to the next generation and created the idea of martyrdom. As said before though, only pick a few key turning points and anaylse them rather than describing everything that happened and falling into narrative. Some bits require more words than others but you dont have to go through the whole period chronologically looking at everything that happened.
I'd disagree with only mentioning major events - surely if you get a question on nationalism then you're pretty much guaranteed to bring in something like Young Ireland/Battle of Widow McCormack's Cabbage Patch cos it demonstrates the relative weakness of some groups in comparison with others...

It completely depends on the question how you approach it, some will be by political/economic/religious issues, others by success/failure, consistency/inconsistency, constitutional/revolutionary etc etc..and events are of varying importance depending how they're used in an essay.

(it is best to go with a relatively simple argument so only one event or interpretation was important or correct)

Is it not best to compare/contrast different events and find parallels between them and their importance? The whole change and continuity thing...

I dunno, I'm knackered and my head is full of statistics revision and I'm rambling.
Anyone know where we can find a copy of the sheet they give us in the exam with all the dates etc.? As I don't want to waste time learning stuff they give us anyway, like dates!
Doesn't the timeline change from exam to exam, depending on the exact questions set? I thought that's what I'd been told, but I could be wrong..
Thank you, Lucien Roach - Very very useful!
Reply 8
Nice work. Thanks Lucien.

Although for some reason my computer has put large parts in balck and i can't see them - the stuff i can see is useful though!
how did everyone find it!? i thought it was pretty good. did Q1 and 2 and had basically done them before so fingers crossed! xx
Reply 10
No worries - I sorted it in the end anyway and it was a useful timeline.

Did questions 1 + 3. Chose number one and did a pretty good essay on it i felt and Qustion 3 was in the same style so i chose that one.

Forgot to mention the Conservative policy of Constructive Unionism though in question 3 - i was kicking myself when i realised. Hopefully it won't have mattered that much though.
I think I may have done terribly on that paper. :frown:

I did 1 and 3. I found 1 okay, not fantastic, but ok, but then I completely didn't answer question 3 properly.

I didn't really get the question and then ended up not really talking about specific parties ... I sort of went "the government who instated the Act of Union were not dealing effectively with the Irish problems, because it did not solve economic or religious problems ..." and that sort of thing all the way through. I think I mentioned Peel, and then sort of mentioned the Coalition government, but I didn't usually mention specific governments, I was just all general. I kept evaluating their effectiveness, I just don't think I answered the question ....

I need a D on this paper to get an A overall - do you guys think it will be possible to get a D with that sort of an answer?! Agh, I'm dying here, I need my A to get into uni!
I'm here 10 years later to find this very useful document

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending