The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
it would be a good opportunity to make new friends and form that 'bond' you make on the 'battlefield' lol. you konw what i mean.
Reply 81
I were the marrying kind
Which thank the lord I'm not, sir
the kind of rugger I would wed
would be a rugby prop sir

cause I'd support a hooker
and you'd support a hooker
we'd all support a hooker together
we'd be alright in the middle of the night
supporting hookers together

www.keelerugby.moonfruit.com
You see that's the thing you lot are meant to but I'm slightly headstrong and just run at people and try to jump over them the ratio of this tactic working is about 1:5 1 being me succeeding ^^
Reply 83
Back to topic

Stats
Height: 5ft 8/9inch
Weight: 75kg
Waist: 30inch
Chest: ...dont actually know. Are you meant to measure after ataking a breath, after you've exhalled, normally, etc?
Arms: 15.5inch
Bf: around 10%ish

Workout

Tuesday
Wide grip pull ups 4 x 8
Deadlfits 6 x 6-8
Barbell Bent over rows 3-4 x 8
Plus maybe throw something else in e.g. single handed rows
Military press 4 x 8
Lateral raises 4 x 8
The a couple of sets on bi's. Depends on how i feel/whats not being hogged by someone else at the time, but probably one of straight bar curls, EZ bar curs or dumbell, 3 x 8

Friday
Flat bench (wide grip, hands about 1m apart) 4 x 6-8
Incline bench 3-4 x 6-8
It depends, but one of dips (weighted if i have the energy), dumbell bench, flat or incline, or once in a blue moon...fly's. Again around 3 x 8
Close grip bench 3-4 x 6-8
One more tri exercise (isolation now), so overhead extensions, cable pushdowns, skullcrushers, etc. 3 x 8

Sunday
Squats 6 x 6-10
Leg extensions 4 x 6-8
Ham curls 3 x 8
Calf raises 4 x 12
Sometimes lunges too

I always put form first, but use a weight i can jsut manage for the 8 or so i intend to do.
My routine isnt fixed so i abide by this religiously, and sometimes i add soemthing else in, etc. And the rep range isnt fixed either. If i feel i can go over 8, i will.
Sometimes i throw in drop sets, tripple drop sets, more forced reps from a spot, etc
Also abs, i'll do once or sometimes twice a week, whenever i have time/energy for them.
Something along the lines of weighted crunches, hanging leg raises, crunches where i raise legs simultaneously, etc.
At the moment, im not doing much in the way of cardio (meh, im slim naturally:rolleyes: lol) but gonna start during summer.
Call me insane, call me what you will. But swinging a sword around for ages is really knackering. Especially when you are trying to prevent yourself from swinging if the makes sense.
Like you take a hard swing, but draw back as soon as you can, it puts a load of strain on the muscles and also imrpoves your technique ^^
The threadstarter's workout looks far too intense to be good for you. Seriously.

I am currently religiously following Mens' Health's "Muscle" - a book written by Ian King. I'm on Week 9 of the Beginner stage, work alternate days and the plan currently has me working Legs Day 1, Arms and Chest Day 3 etc., with abs in every workout.

Before I go on holiday, I'm going to be doing up to 40 mins cardio a day if I can stir myself to do it. That's quite excessive.
Reply 86
Page 3 -
The Rugger Bugger
Thats a good routine, and it separates out the muscle groups. Too complicated for me tho, I just go with the flow. Do you not work on your legs?

My legs are done mainly in the next 2 months of training. I havnt got the plan with me, but i know i have to do 1x100 squats and 1x100 leg extensions (at low weights) on non leg days. my legs are disproportionate in size to the rest of my body naturally.

Ill post the second part of the workout when i get it.

Anthony
Reply 87
i believe you teenageclay. 70 isnt that much anyway, when i was 18 i weighed 60k and could push 70 no probs and i was still quite small. i havent benched in ages cos its just pointless imo but i couls still out bench mr rugger bugger anyway:smile:
Reply 88
even if you can push 70, your workout is a bit odd, why push less for 8 sets or whatever if you can do 70 anyway, there really is no point... please explain your logic, im not discounting it, im just interested to see why, is it hst?
Sunday: Rugby match :smile: and drinking practice

Monday: 1 hour high intesity boxafit class

Tuesday: rugby training if they ever get their act together!

Wednesday: 1 hour high intensity boxafit class (different circuit) followed by leg workout
-Squats 4xtill fail 200lbs
-Deadlifts 4xtill fail 90lbs
-Tilted squats (one foot on Bosseau cushion one foot on floor) body weight only till fail

Thursday: Chest/Bis (All weights are per dumbell so example below = 72kg chest press)
-Chest flat dumbell press 3x13 36kg
-Chest incline dumbell press 3x13 34kg
-Chest flies 3x26 18kg on a pilates ball
-Bicep hammer curl seated 3x26 26kg
-Bicep standing bar curl 70lbs
-Bicep concentration curls 3x8 20kg

Friday: Shoulders
- Dumbell shoulder press 3x13 32kg
- Single dumbell clean and press 3(on each side)x13 20kg
- Dumbell front raises 3x13 22kg
- Dumbell side raises 3x13 14kg
- Front shrugs 3x26 200lbs
- Rear shrugs 3x26 200lbs

Saturday: Back/Tris
-Back Wide grip chinups 3x11 (I weigh 92kg)
-Back Close grip, open hand chinups 3x13 (I weigh 92kg)
-Back Single arm low dumbell row 3(on each side)x13 36kg
-Back Cable twist (impossible to describe, imagine doing the superman pose but twisting :s-smilie:) 3(on each side)x 20 16kg front and back
-Tricep dips 3x13 (bodyweight only)
-Tricep Close grip dumbell press (hammer grip) 3x13 32kg
-Tricep pushups 3x 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 = 54
-Tricep concentration curls on cable machine 3x12 70kg

I'll add my two cents about what I believe makes a good work out. That all may seem a lot to do. And I can imagine many bodybuilders taking two hours in the gym to do it, but, no offence, I want practical muscle. Thats why I mix high intensity cardio with weights. That is also why my weight sessions take no more than 35-40 min, i want explosive power so each set is done with only 20 seconds rest inbetween. I know most people would say i don't do enough leg weights but to be honest it suffices. I lift men around :s-smilie: on a Sunday for 80min and the cardio includes plenty of leg work, and ultimately I dont want big slow legs I want big powerful and fast legs so doing high weight squats isnt really for me. I have three other weights programmes but i wont bore you with them. My final point is the most important and is applicable to people from bodybuilders to girls who love cardio, change it up! the body gets used to exercises and they become ineffective. Shock your body with new exercises and you will reach your goal much faster and more complete. Infact I think this rule applies to everyone but distance runner :smile:
focusST
even if you can push 70, your workout is a bit odd, why push less for 8 sets or whatever if you can do 70 anyway, there really is no point... please explain your logic, im not discounting it, im just interested to see why, is it hst?

Tis just to gradually warm up my muscles. Despite being a sprinter they don't react well to like shock weights if you get me. If I go straight into a high weight it's harder to maintain my form and rep count.
Reply 91
fair enough. maybe cut your warmup to 2 sets? cos thats generally plenty, like 12-15 reps at 35-40 kg should be enough. plus this way you may even push up to 75 because you will have something left in the tank.
Tis true I do get tired towards the end. I like walking home in the rain after a workout session it's so soothing. What kinda sports you into?
Reply 93
pool. nice and easy, no exersion and i always win:smile:
Lol I suck, I just friggin' smack it and the ball goes crazy. Good fun ^^
Generally into footy (goalie/defence), rugby (scrum half), boxing, Athletics (100m, Long Jump, High Jump, Javelin) and Parkour/Freerunning.
I lead a very active life ^^ if I didn't I would be so fat the amount I eat.
Reply 95
i cycle everywhere to keep fit and to keep bf down, im a tad stodgy in my profile pic. so im not inactive as such, i hardly ever do cardio, although in this thread i posted once a week, i lied, just stops people asking why i dont do cardio, but now they will anyway. the answer is i cycle everywhere, just like my first sentance, hoorah for late typing, it all goes pear shaped.
Reply 96
The Rugger Bugger
TeenageClay I dont want to Labour a point but this was me bout mid-last year with about 33-35cm arms and I was topping out about 70kg for a standard weight, about 100kg 1RM , I would have barely been able to do your routine if at all so I dont see how you could do it when I am the size I am now and I still couldnt do your routine.

very secksy ;yes;
Reply 97
What are neck curls? :confused:
couldn't think of the name. i'll explain. lie on your back, on a bench and have your head hanging off the edge and just 'curl it' bring it up and down, then do it again but liein on your front. if its too easy put a plate(weight) on your face.
Reply 98
thats sounds comfy:smile:
GTi
What are neck curls? :confused:
couldn't think of the name. i'll explain. lie on your back, on a bench and have your head hanging off the edge and just 'curl it' bring it up and down, then do it again but liein on your front. if its too easy put a plate(weight) on your face.

Put a weight on your face xD that just made me lol.
I'm sure you do but it's just so funny.
Strolling over to the freeweights see a guy lieing on the bench with a weight atached to his face. Walks away from the freeweights.

Latest