The Student Room Group

Xenon Maths Help Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _Xenon_
Na this is my own book which I bought. It's called Edexcel IGCSE exam practice book. It is so amazing! I love it! It has every single topic for my exam and on the contents page there's also a checklist when you've completed a topic and it shows the grade a question is. I scanned those pages so it looks like that but I could post a photograph too. I'm currently choosing topics I've no idea about and trying to learn them quickly and do the exam style questions. Oh yeah this book is full of exam style questions for every single topic and at the end there's two practice papers and worked answers to them. Btw if you don't want to buy it and want a PDF version of high grade questions I know where you can find them too. Let me know,
I don't really want to purchase the book as the exam is so close now. Where could I get a PDF version of this book?
Reply 21
Original post by phat-chewbacca
I don't really want to purchase the book as the exam is so close now. Where could I get a PDF version of this book?

I don't think there is PDF version but I bought this only last week and I'm working my arse off trying to learn it all and complete it.

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_igcse_maths.book_MEQI41

IF YOU're going to spend hours every day completing at least 10+ pages you'll manage quite a bit... Probably finish it.

Anyway I've found this for you based on difficulty if you're interested - PDF:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/questions-by-difficulty.html

Topics here: http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/questions-by-topic2.html
Original post by _Xenon_
I don't think there is PDF version but I bought this only last week and I'm working my arse off trying to learn it all and complete it.

https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/Student/books_igcse_maths.book_MEQI41

IF YOU're going to spend hours every day completing at least 10+ pages you'll manage quite a bit... Probably finish it.

Anyway I've found this for you based on difficulty if you're interested - PDF:
http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/questions-by-difficulty.html

Topics here: http://www.savemyexams.co.uk/questions-by-topic2.html

Thanks a lot. This will definitely keep me going!
Reply 23
Original post by Zacken
I've written up two fairly exhaustive posts on domains and ranges (targeted at A-Level, so if you don't understand something, you can just skip over it, but it should all make sense to you if I've explained it well) here and here. If that helps. :smile:

Thanks man! I'll check it out. There's some overlap so should be OK.
Reply 24
Original post by _Xenon_
Thanks man! I'll check it out. There's some overlap so should be OK.

How are things going Xenon? I hope your brain is not too tired yet!

Have you tried any past exam papers?
Reply 25
Original post by notnek
How are things going Xenon? I hope your brain is not too tired yet!

Have you tried any past exam papers?

Not bad, thanks And Nope not yet, haha. I've got 4 ready but I'm saving them for later or should I just do one now?

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by phat-chewbacca
Thanks a lot. This will definitely keep me going!

No worries, good luck.
Reply 27
Original post by _Xenon_
Not bad, thanks And Nope not yet, haha. I've got 4 ready but I'm saving them for later or should I just do one now?

Thanks!

It's up to you but it may be a good idea to try one now to see where you're at.

Try not to ignore a question that you can't do. If you're stuck with it then feel free to post it here. Or you could mention the paper that you're doing and say the question number.
Reply 28
Original post by notnek
It's up to you but it may be a good idea to try one now to see where you're at.

Try not to ignore a question that you can't do. If you're stuck with it then feel free to post it here. Or you could mention the paper that you're doing and say the question number.

That's a brilliant idea!! And I will circle the questions I didn't know before and still find out my grade whilst improving at the same time wow you're a genius thanks. I'm doing one now then supposed to be 2 hrs but I'll see how long I needd :-) cheers
Reply 29
Original post by _Xenon_
That's a brilliant idea!! And I will circle the questions I didn't know before and still find out my grade whilst improving at the same time wow you're a genius thanks. I'm doing one now then supposed to be 2 hrs but I'll see how long I needd :-) cheers

Good luck!
Reply 30
Original post by Zacken
Good luck!

I'm stuck on question 2 lmao I sound so dumb. Q1 was a nice easy opener now Q2 argh never seen one of those:angry:
Reply 31
Original post by _Xenon_
I'm stuck on question 2 lmao I sound so dumb. Q1 was a nice easy opener now Q2 argh never seen one of those:angry:

Standard exam technique: go through all the questions you find easy on the first go, skip anything that seems remotely hard. Go through the paper again and do the slightly harder questions, skipping the really hard ones - go through it again doing the really hard ones, etc...
Reply 32
Original post by _Xenon_

Which paper?
Reply 33
Original post by Zacken
Standard exam technique: go through all the questions you find easy on the first go, skip anything that seems remotely hard. Go through the paper again and do the slightly harder questions, skipping the really hard ones - go through it again doing the really hard ones, etc...

OK I'll do that, thanks. Time to get off TSR, will be back later.
I'm going to start with a Biology past paper because Maths is annoying me atm
Reply 34
Original post by notnek
Which paper?

11th January 2013 Paper 3H Higher Tier
Reply 37
Original post by notnek
I'll give you a similar easier question:

A bag of balls contains red and blue balls as well as other colours. 1/2 of the balls are red and 1/4 are blue. How many are not red or blue?

Answer : 1/2 + 1/4 = 3/4

So 3/4 of the balls are either red or blue.

1 - 3/4 = 1/4

So 1/4 of the balls are not red or blue.

Try and do a similar thing for this question. Post your working if you get stuck.

What is part b? Thank you
Reply 38
Original post by _Xenon_
What is part b? Thank you

If there were e.g. 8 dresses then there would be 13×8\frac{1}{3}\times 8 black dresses which isn't a whole number so it doesn't make sense.

So the number of dresses must be a multiple of 3, 4 and 6 to give a whole number of black, blue and red dresses. Does this make sense?

Also you are told that half of the blue dresses have sleeves. So the number of blue dresses cannot be an odd number.
Reply 39
Original post by notnek
If there were e.g. 8 dresses then there would be 13×8\frac{1}{3}\times 8 black dresses which isn't a whole number so it doesn't make sense.

So the number of dresses must be a multiple of 3, 4 and 6 to give a whole number of black, blue and red dresses. Does this make sense?

Also you are told that half of the blue dresses have sleeves. So the number of blue dresses cannot be an odd number.

Thanks!! :-)

Quick Reply

Latest