Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I remain sceptical of Asexuality, but am open to being convinced otherwise

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Firstly, no idea what category this belongs in so my apologies.

I will admit, I would have sworn it was not legitimate at one point, I did not believe for an instance Asexuality was a form of sexuality.

I have recently spoke to people about it and they linked studies and so on. I have moved into the territory of being sceptical but open to accepting it. It's not out of spite that I disregarded it at first, nor was it the concept (I have studied it best I can), but rather the practical legitimacy of it.

I tried engaging in conversation with someone and said this is my mindset, but it resulted in little discussion and me being called an "ignorant bigot" by some girl. She was asexual I believe or at least she seemed to know a lot about it but nonetheless she took my mindset on the matter personal.

I was hoping some people on here who identified as asexual would not mind giving me an insight into their lives, nothing specific, moreso how it influences their way of thinking, social interactions and the struggles it presents.

Like I said, I remain sceptical, I always take psychology research with a touch of salt. But I am open to accepting it and believe real life accounts will change my thinking.

I will add, please keep the peace, if me being on the fence about it annoys you just don't post and leave it at that, thanks.

Correct thing to do when someone is talking about their lived experience: shut up and listen. Stick some cake in your mouth if it stops you trying to tell them you know better than they do - it's better than being caught with your foot there...

Although there's nothing more annoying than being slammed with the 'bigot' banner by someone if you haven't said anything outright offensive and are just trying to find out more, a general rule of thumb is: if you don't really know anything about a different sexuality and you don't identify with that orientation, then it is probably best to believe the word of someone who does
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.