Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have paid for goods on gumtree but never recieved them

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Dear Users

I have been scammed on gumtree. I have made a payment of £85, via bank transfer for a car part. However it has been 2 weeks and I have not recieved the car part, and the seller does not answer his phone. I know it should be here by now, as he lived only 100 miles away from me.

All I have in terms of the sellers details is the following:

Full Name
    Contact number
    Account number + Sort Code

Is there anything I can do? Police say its a civil matter, when i phone them on the non emergency line.

Will trading standards be able to help or would they realistcally even take the case on, baring in mind that I have not got the sellers address. Will they bother tracing his phone number or requesting the bank for his living address.

Upi need to learn the lesson that you are totally reliant on the seller if you send them cash. If you had used paypal or a cr4edit card you might have stood a chance. basically youve given someone £85 who you dont know and hes done a runner. Pating cash is the absolute worst way and you cant trace it.

Doubt trading standards will help. Waht do you expect them to do? Contact Gumtree through livechat. They might have his details. You cna then try and sue them.

Ahhh no, shouldn't have paid that way. Paypal, always.

Report to action fraud, but no you have almost no recourse.

If you can find their address (electoral roll websites, using area and full name), you can send a letter which might be enough; or even try through small claims (money claim online)

personally i don't trust gumtree so i will only collect cash in hand for stuff i have travelled 70 miles before to make a pick up

Always use Paypal with a credit card and if you cannot then atleast just use your credit card. Otherwise don't bother because you're f*cked if things go wrong.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.