The Student Room Group

UCL or Exeter for Economics. Torn between the choice.

I have a predicted score of A*AA. Both UCL and Exeter has offered with A*AA.

I like Exeter Campus and tranquility of place. UCL is a big brand. Exeter also mention that if I choose them as firm choice they will lower my admission criteria.

Please advise if I choose Exeter over UCL would be a horrible mistake or ok. Appreciate your response.
Original post by NewAlevelStudent
I have a predicted score of A*AA. Both UCL and Exeter has offered with A*AA.

I like Exeter Campus and tranquility of place. UCL is a big brand. Exeter also mention that if I choose them as firm choice they will lower my admission criteria.

Please advise if I choose Exeter over UCL would be a horrible mistake or ok. Appreciate your response.

Do you like maths a lot? If so, then I would probably go for UCL. If you are apathetic to maths then choose based on whether or not you think you will be able to cope for the next 3 years (if you think you can cope well in either then maybe go for UCL as I am pretty sure it's generally particularly well respected for econ). If you dislike maths though, and don't wish to pursue it much further, then probs go Exeter. That's just advice anyway, I don't know that much.
Thank you for your response.
Reply 3
Original post by OrionMusicNet
Do you like maths a lot? If so, then I would probably go for UCL. If you are apathetic to maths then choose based on whether or not you think you will be able to cope for the next 3 years (if you think you can cope well in either then maybe go for UCL as I am pretty sure it's generally particularly well respected for econ). If you dislike maths though, and don't wish to pursue it much further, then probs go Exeter. That's just advice anyway, I don't know that much.

Original post by NewAlevelStudent
Thank you for your response.

On what basis does Exeter want Economics students who dislike maths?!

OP, they are both top universities. Choose the course (and location) you prefer.
Reply 4
If I were you I'd take UCL. Brand and alumni connections are assets, plus the greater work opportunities in London. Exeter seems well-regarded in the Uk but UCL is well-regarded in a global sense. In this competitive globalized world I'd take UCL.
Original post by jneill
On what basis does Exeter want Economics students who dislike maths?!

OP, they are both top universities. Choose the course (and location) you prefer.

It's not so much that Exeter would want people who dislike maths or are bad at it, but more so that for UCL (for its economics course) it is incredibly mathematical (from what I have heard from my teacher in school, from my head of sixth form and the lecturer on the open day), made evident by the fact that they want an A* in maths (someone in my school last year even got A*AA with an A* in economics and still didn't get accepted for UCL). This is just what I have gathered of course, as I said before, I don't know that much but it certainly seems to be the case that if you don't like a lot of maths, you stand a good chance of not liking the UCL economics course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Ucl
Reply 7
Original post by OrionMusicNet
It's not so much that Exeter would want people who dislike maths or are bad at it, but more so that for UCL (for its economics course) it is incredibly mathematical

Economics is maths heavy at any top university.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
The UCL course had the option of being quite mathsy back in the day. I know I took more maths modules than economics ones in the first 2 yrs (by choice). However, it wasn't compulsory to do all the maths and you could just take essay papers even back then.

But from what I've heard, they've reduced the maths content a lot since I graduated (4 yrs ago). For example, you no longer have the choice to take additional maths papers in your first year (only the compulsory maths for econ one).

In contrast, I do know at least one person who recently chose Exeter over UCL due to the much lower maths content. SO maybe Exeter is still less mathsy than the revised UCL course?

I reiterate what a pp said. If you're looking to get into IB/finance, UCL is a given. For academia, other, Exeter is just as good.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Economics is maths heavy at any top university.

True, but I have heard it's particularly maths heavy at universities such as Cambridge, LSE and UCL. The fact that they all expect A*s in maths for it as well is also a slight indicator of that. I am just saying this so OP maybe has a better idea of where he may want to go to based on course content.

Quick Reply

Latest