The Student Room Group

Philosophy at university

I'm looking to apply to Philosophy single honours at university next year (starting in september 2017), What universities are good for this in terms of employer reputation, research quality, enjoyment and student reputation etc. I am thinking about King's college london, Birmingham, Cambridge, Manchester, UCL? I've seen posts on here about Philosophy at university but those were from 2008 and I'm wondering if things have changed. (Any information greatly appreciated) :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by nino.oshea
I'm looking to apply to Philosophy single honours at university next year (starting in september 2017), What universities are good for this in terms of employer reputation, research quality, enjoyment and student reputation etc. I am thinking about King's college london, Birmingham, Cambridge, Manchester, UCL? I've seen posts on here about Philosophy at university but those were from 2008 and I'm wondering if things have changed. (Any information greatly appreciated) :smile:

Those are all good universities for philosophy. Other good options are St Andrews and LSE (although the latter excels in certain specific areas, mostly closely connected to science) and Oxford, and, a bit further behind, Leeds, Sheffield and Nottingham.

Looking at the university league tables is a good way to distinguish between how good universities are. Yet, you should only take this as a guide, and not solid advice, as for one person a place in Cambridge (#1) may be brilliant, yet for another person they may prefer somewhere like Dundee (#33). Personally, the options which I like at the moment for philosophy courses are: Cambridge, St Andrews, East Anglia, Durham University, Glasgow, Warwick, UCL, and Cardiff. (Yes, a massive list, I'm still try to whittle it down). My teacher (who studied at Durham, I think???) said that you should choose the course for the options you have to study. For example: I have no interest in aesthetics, but I have a massive interest in epistemology and metaphysics. Therefore, picking the course which has the modules you want to study is essential, and much more important than league tables, etc.

Hope this helps! :smile:

P.S. Contact hours are really important. Make sure you enquire about them!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3

hi i also want to study philosophy at uni and will be starting uni in sept 2017. i am considering the followimg universities:
university of Warwick, university of birmingham, ucl, university of Kent and oxford brookes.
how did i make these choices??? they are all in the top 25 for philosophy and also the most importantly i looked at the course content/modules of eaach university because that js what is important.
university of leeds, Manchester and sheffield are also good for philosophy but the modules that they teach do not seem very appealing to me.
i also wanted ask what job/career are you hoping to pursue because i dont know what to do after my degree. i might go to law school or do a one year business course but to be honest i have no idea so it would be great if yiu could just give some ideas. many thanks xx
Original post by Estreth
Those are all good universities for philosophy. Other good options are St Andrews and LSE (although the latter excels in certain specific areas, mostly closely connected to science) and Oxford, and, a bit further behind, Leeds, Sheffield and Nottingham.

Oxford does not offer philosophy as a single honours course.
Reply 5
Original post by Platopus
Oxford does not offer philosophy as a single honours course.

No that's true - although the most recent poster didn't say she was interested only in single honours.
Original post by Estreth
No that's true - although the most recent poster didn't say she was interested only in single honours.

True, but equally the op did not say they weren't interested in studying many other courses such as maths or science. What they did say leads me to believe they would like to study single honours.

I'm looking to apply to Philosophy single honours at university next year (starting in september 2017)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending