The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Japanese at SOAS

Hello everyone! I have a question about Japanese language courses at SOAS. Just out of curiosity, are you expected to actually handwrite N3 or above Kanji?
I already have an N3, but I'm a little concerned as I'm not quite confident with that D:
I'm assuming you're planning to enroll to SOAS? For the Japanese course, unless you're highly skilled, you will learn Japanese from the very beginning so you'll go through everything you need to know for the course with the class. And yes, we handwrite the kanji. But it's not a problem due to what I've mentioned.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Original post by distantcrushes
I'm assuming you're planning to enroll to SOAS? For the Japanese course, unless you're highly skilled, you will learn Japanese from the very beginning so you'll go through everything you need to know for the course with the class. And yes, we handwrite the kanji. But it's not a problem due to what I've mentioned.

So am I considered a beginner even if I already have a N3? D:
Well you're definitely not a beginner but there'll be a placement test prior to the commencement of classes and the teachers are very well-versed in the syllabus so they'll know exactly where you'll fit. Regardless, yes, we handwrite our kanji. If you want to save time (like skip Elementary Japanese/Accelerated Japanese, which is what the first years usually take), then you should brush up on your kanji skills before the test.
Reply 4
Got it, thank you a lot c:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending