The Student Room Group

How best to utilise Past Papers?

As the title states, I have reached a stumbling point as to how I can best utilise the past papers for each of my subjects (All content heavy and essay-based). This is because I dont feel as though I have 100% learned everything as I am still trying to memorise all of my notes after completing them all a couple of days ago. My question is how can I best utilise past papers and try to memorise all the facts at the same time? All answers are greatly appreciated!
I do sciences, however the technique which has helped me improve greatly (I got an E in my exam, resitting so had a mock and got a B) is I do a past paper, mark and see where I lost the most marks. (I do this as a % because of variation in marks) then I revise the subjects where I lost the most marks and continue at that.
I do this:
Print the past paper
Complete the past paper (use the stopwatch on your phone to find how long it takes)
Print the mark scheme(do this after you have completed the paper to help reduce the temptation of looking at answers)
Mark it, make sure you write down how many marks you got for each question on the front and how many marks you dropped.
Then look up the grade boundarys for the paper, find your grade so you know what your working with
Then go over the dropped marks, try to find out why you didnt get the marks? Was it complete misunderstanding? Not knowing the method? Or was it just a silly mistake like RTFQ.
Then repeat until you are achieving the grade you want.
What I do is finnish a chapter and attack parto the question paper based on that chapter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jesus_cock_lover
What I do is finnish a chapter and attack parto the question paper based on that chapter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Jonsmith98
I do this:
Print the past paper
Complete the past paper (use the stopwatch on your phone to find how long it takes)
Print the mark scheme(do this after you have completed the paper to help reduce the temptation of looking at answers)
Mark it, make sure you write down how many marks you got for each question on the front and how many marks you dropped.
Then look up the grade boundarys for the paper, find your grade so you know what your working with
Then go over the dropped marks, try to find out why you didnt get the marks? Was it complete misunderstanding? Not knowing the method? Or was it just a silly mistake like RTFQ.
Then repeat until you are achieving the grade you want.

Original post by AlohaCharlotte
I do sciences, however the technique which has helped me improve greatly (I got an E in my exam, resitting so had a mock and got a B) is I do a past paper, mark and see where I lost the most marks. (I do this as a % because of variation in marks) then I revise the subjects where I lost the most marks and continue at that.

Very helpful! Thank you all!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending